PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite....

DrGrin
10-10-2008, 11:48 AM
dish to carry for a potluck dinner?

I need ideas. Feel free to share your recipes. :)

belleofpa
10-10-2008, 12:11 PM
Taco salad, meatloaf, home made baked macaroni and cheese, cheesy broccoli and rice
Hows that for starters?

ttistin
10-10-2008, 12:18 PM
do you want meals or desert ideas?

crazylady
10-10-2008, 12:29 PM
This time of year, I love to make green bean casserole. I just dump a #10 size (the big, like gal. siz) can 0f green beans (drained) into a crockpot, along with a big family size can of cream of mushroom soup. Meanwhile, chop up a pkg. of bacon into a skillet (or you could use the fully cooked stuff) and cooked 'til lightly crisp. Then add to skillet, one large onion, chopped, and 1/2 lb. sliced mushrooms, and sautee in bacon grease, 'til onions are tender and golden brown. Drain off the grease, and add the bacon, mushrooms and onions to the crockpot, and simmer 'til hot. Carry a can of french fried onion rings, but don't add 'til ready to serve, so they don't get soggy.

dinosmom
10-10-2008, 12:51 PM
Crockpot meatballs-just a can of cranberry sauce, a jar of bbq sauce and frozen meatballs. Very easy.

atprm
10-10-2008, 01:28 PM
for potlucks we make St Joseph Pie

layered in order below into a 13x9 dish:

cooked ground beef, drained
jar of spaghetti sauce
2 cans of french-style green beans, drained
mashed potatoes with soft peaks.

bake at 400 until soft brown tips are formed on mash potatoes

put into carrier and go. :)

If I know I am going to someplace with a lot of people, I will make Galumpki (Polish stuffed cabbage) -- 1 head of cabbage goes a long long way, and they freeze really easy. :)

fairydana
10-10-2008, 01:35 PM
I like to take cocktail weinies and put them in bbq sauce. Yumo! I also love to take squash casserole to pot lucks.

DrGrin
10-10-2008, 01:39 PM
do you want meals or desert ideas?

Any of the above.

Thanks for the ideas everyone.

ttistin
10-10-2008, 02:08 PM
Authentic German Potato Salad
Servings for 10

* 7-1/2 cups diced peeled potatoes
* 10 slices bacon
* 2-1/2 small onion, diced
* 1/2 cup and 2 tablespoons white vinegar
* 1/4 cup and 1 tablespoon water
* 1/3 cup and 2 tablespoons white sugar
* 2-1/2 teaspoons salt
* 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
* 2 tablespoons and 1-1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley

1. Place the potatoes into a pot, and fill with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, and cook for about 10 minutes, or until easily pierced with a fork. Drain, and set aside to cool.
2. Place the bacon in a large deep skillet over medium-high heat. Fry until browned and crisp, turning as needed. Remove from the pan and set aside.
3. Add onion to the bacon grease, and cook over medium heat until browned. Add the vinegar, water, sugar, salt and pepper to the pan. Bring to a boil, then add the potatoes and parsley. Crumble in half of the bacon. Heat through, then transfer to a serving dish. Crumble the remaining bacon over the top, and serve warm.

BBQ Cola Meatballs
Servings for 18

* 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
* 1 1/4 cups dry bread crumbs
* 1 egg
* 3 tablespoons grated onion
* 1 (1 ounce) package dry Ranch-style dressing mix
* 1 cup ketchup
* 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
* 3/4 cup cola-flavored carbonated beverage
* 1/2 cup chopped onion
* 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
* 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
* 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
* 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
2. In a large bowl, mix together the ground beef, bread crumbs, egg, grated onion and Ranch dressing mix until well blended. Shape into 1 inch meatballs, and place on a 10x15 inch jellyroll pan, or any baking sheet with sides to catch the grease.
3. Bake for 30 minutes in the preheated oven, turning them over half way through. While the meatballs are roasting, mix together the ketchup, cider vinegar, cola, chopped onion and green pepper in a slow cooker. Season with seasoning salt, pepper, and Worcestershire sauce.
4. Remove meatballs from the baking sheet, and place into the sauce in the slow cooker. Cover and cook on Low for 3 hours, then remove the lid and cook for an additional 15 minutes before serving.

Potluck Spareribs
Servings 12

* 6 pounds pork spareribs
* 1 1/2 cups ketchup
* 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
* 1/2 cup vinegar
* 1/2 cup honey
* 1/3 cup soy sauce
* 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 3/4 teaspoon ground mustard
* 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
* 1/4 teaspoon pepper

1. Cut ribs into serving-size pieces; place with the meaty side up on racks in two greased 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking pans. Cover tightly with foil. Bake at 350 degrees F for 1-1/4 hours or until meat is tender.
2. Drain; remove racks and return ribs to pans. Combine remaining ingredients; pour over ribs. Return to the oven, uncovered, for 35 minutes or until sauce coats ribs, basting occasionally. Ribs can also be grilled over medium-hot heat for the last 35 minutes instead of baking.
(can also make this in slow cooker)

BBQ Meatballs
Servings 30

* 4 eggs, beaten
* 1/2 cup vodka
* 1/2 cup water
* 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
* 2 tablespoons dried minced onion flakes
* 1 teaspoon garlic powder, or to taste
* 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
* 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper, or to taste
* 3 pounds ground beef
* 2 pounds ground turkey
* 1 (15 ounce) package Italian seasoned bread crumbs
* 2 (28 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
* 2 (14.25 ounce) cans tomato puree
* 1 (18 ounce) bottle hickory smoke flavored barbeque sauce
* 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple
* 1 cup brown sugar
* 1 (14 ounce) bottle ketchup
* 1/2 cup vodka
* 2 tablespoons dried minced onion flakes
* 1 teaspoon garlic powder, or to taste
* 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
* 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper, or to taste

1. In a large bowl, combine eggs, 1/2 cup vodka and Worcestershire sauce. Season with 2 tablespoons onion flakes, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Mix in ground beef, ground turkey and bread crumbs. Shape into meatballs, and set aside.
2. In a very large pot over medium heat, Combine crushed tomatoes, tomato puree, barbeque sauce, pineapple, brown sugar, ketchup, and 1/2 cup vodka. Season to taste with onion flakes, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and let simmer.
3. Heat a large heavy skillet over medium heat. Cook meatballs until evenly brown on all sides. Carefully place into sauce, and simmer for at least an hour.

{You can also boiled the meatballs instead of frying them. It makes them less greasy, is easier to do and they hold their shape better. Put them in a crock pot, put the sauce over and cooked on low for 3 hours.**

Caramel Apple Eclair Cake
servings 24

* 5 pounds Golden Delicious apples - peeled, cored and chopped
* 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 1 cup white sugar
* 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour, or as needed (optional)
* 2 (3.5 ounce) packages instant French vanilla pudding
* 3 cups milk
* 1 cup sour cream
* 1 (8 ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
* 1 (14.4 ounce) box cinnamon graham crackers
* 1 (18 ounce) container caramel apple dip
* 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour (optional)

1. Combine the apples, cinnamon and sugar in a saucepan and set over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the apples are tender. If the mixture ends up with a lot of liquid, mix in a little bit of flour, and simmer until thickened. Remove from the heat and allow to cool to room temperature.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the instant pudding and milk until smooth. Stir in the sour cream and fold in the whipped topping.
3. To assemble the cake, line the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish with a single layer of cinnamon graham crackers. Use a slotted spoon to make a thin layer of the apple mixture. Top with a generous layer of the pudding, about 1/3. Repeat layers until you have three layers of apples and pudding and four layers of crackers.
4. Warm the caramel apple dip in the microwave oven until it can be easily poured. Pour this over the top layer of graham crackers. Refrigerate for at least overnight, but up to 24 hours before serving.

{Can also use apple pie filling (a 32 ounce jar) instead of bothering to peel, chop, and cook apples to basically make a pie filling.**

tracyb
10-10-2008, 04:41 PM
I do a cherry delight and hash brown casserole....they eat those up.....

this is a good thread...we have homecoming Sunday so I might get another dish to take..lol

fairydana
10-10-2008, 05:02 PM
I love the hash brown cassarole!

Anig2u
10-10-2008, 05:03 PM
Caramel Apple Eclair Cake
servings 24

* 5 pounds Golden Delicious apples - peeled, cored and chopped
* 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 1 cup white sugar
* 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour, or as needed (optional)
* 2 (3.5 ounce) packages instant French vanilla pudding
* 3 cups milk
* 1 cup sour cream
* 1 (8 ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
* 1 (14.4 ounce) box cinnamon graham crackers
* 1 (18 ounce) container caramel apple dip
* 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour (optional)

1. Combine the apples, cinnamon and sugar in a saucepan and set over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the apples are tender. If the mixture ends up with a lot of liquid, mix in a little bit of flour, and simmer until thickened. Remove from the heat and allow to cool to room temperature.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the instant pudding and milk until smooth. Stir in the sour cream and fold in the whipped topping.
3. To assemble the cake, line the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish with a single layer of cinnamon graham crackers. Use a slotted spoon to make a thin layer of the apple mixture. Top with a generous layer of the pudding, about 1/3. Repeat layers until you have three layers of apples and pudding and four layers of crackers.
4. Warm the caramel apple dip in the microwave oven until it can be easily poured. Pour this over the top layer of graham crackers. Refrigerate for at least overnight, but up to 24 hours before serving.

{Can also use apple pie filling (a 32 ounce jar) instead of bothering to peel, chop, and cook apples to basically make a pie filling.**

I have made the chocolate version of this, but this apple one sounds really good!!!! Perfect time of the year for this recipe too..Thanks!!

galeane29
10-10-2008, 05:08 PM
for potlucks we make St Joseph Pie

layered in order below into a 13x9 dish:

cooked ground beef, drained
jar of spaghetti sauce
2 cans of french-style green beans, drained
mashed potatoes with soft peaks.

bake at 400 until soft brown tips are formed on mash potatoes

put into carrier and go. :)

If I know I am going to someplace with a lot of people, I will make Galumpki (Polish stuffed cabbage) -- 1 head of cabbage goes a long long way, and they freeze really easy. :)
Down here in the dirty south, we call that shepherds pie ;)

Anig2u
10-10-2008, 05:10 PM
Down here in the dirty south, we call that shepherds pie ;)

Yup here too..my Mom use to make two different ones..one had the sauce and the other one had creamed corn..both are good stuff.

sunrise914
10-10-2008, 05:17 PM
I do a very simple potato dish

Peel and cube potatoes
Boil till fork tender, drain
Chop Vidalia(or other mild onion)
Slice butter into pats

In casserole dish mix potatoes, butter and onion. Bake about 10 to 15 minutes until butter melted and onions tender.Season to taste

This can be adjusted for crowd size, I usually use 5lbs potatoes and adjust the butter as needed so its not dry. These are wonder "baked" on the grill also

CLARKS4
10-10-2008, 05:18 PM
I do a cherry delight and hash brown casserole....they eat those up.....

this is a good thread...we have homecoming Sunday so I might get another dish to take..lol

Receipe for the hashbrown casserole please. We are going to Fields of the Woods sunday and having service with dinner on the ground. That might be something I can take.