PDA

View Full Version : Ribs barbecued on the grill?

gmyers
10-09-2008, 08:20 PM
I've never cooked them on the grill. The slabs of ribs. Someone told me you have to boil them first, then grill them to make them tender. Is this true? What seasonings do you put and how long do they usually take to cook? I've got a craving for them and I want to try grilling some. Thanks for the help.

Shancopp
10-09-2008, 09:46 PM
I've heard that too....cook most of the way either boiling or baking, then grill for the charring/flavor and to add your bbq sauce. sounds good!

tarasdream
10-10-2008, 01:54 AM
i dont boil them first, i just put them on the top rack of my grill and cook for a couple of hours or more. then i move them down over top of the fire and start brushing them with barbq sauce and cook for another hour turning them every so often so they will brown. they take a while to cook but are well worth it. im sure they cook faster if you boil them but to me its not the same. cooking them really slow is the best way to go. i season with salt, pepper, garlic powder and you can use any steak rub seasoning.

teenap
10-10-2008, 03:58 AM
Ingredients
2 full racks (quartered) baby back ribs
1-quart beef broth
2 cups barbeque sauce (recommended: Bullseye Original Barbeque Sauce)
1 cup honey
Directions
Place ribs and beef broth in a large heavy pot or Dutch oven, and add enough water to fully cover ribs. Simmer over low heat for about 1 hour. Once tender, remove and set aside.

Preheat the grill to medium heat. In a medium bowl, combine barbeque sauce and honey. Baste ribs generously with sauce and grill for about 4 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness.

teenap
10-10-2008, 03:58 AM
foodnetwork.com has a ton of recipes also, some par boil, some do not

gmyers
10-10-2008, 05:43 AM
I've heard about boiling and not boiling thats what I was wondering which would taste better.

SLance68
10-10-2008, 05:46 AM
I've heard about boiling and not boiling thats what I was wondering which would taste better.

They taste about the same to me - I have done them both ways. If you want to eat sooner then par boiling helps. I just put some salt & minced garlic in the water and boil them for a while - never timed them. Then put the BBQ sauce on them and put them on the grill for a while longer. They generally fall apart when you get them off the grill.

sheila_361
10-10-2008, 05:53 AM
or you could just do a dry rub on them, they are so good that way as well, then just dip in bbq sauce.

gmyers
10-10-2008, 05:55 AM
They sound really good I definitely want to try grilling them.

dv8grl
10-10-2008, 05:56 AM
or you could just do a dry rub on them, they are so good that way as well, then just dip in bbq sauce.

I'm a rub girl myself. No sauce for me.
Just cook'em slow & low!!!!!

sheila_361
10-10-2008, 05:58 AM
I did the rub thing for the first time the other night, I think that's how I'm gonna stick to doing them from now on.

ssgjeg
10-10-2008, 06:05 AM

Personally, I don't like boiling them first. No matter how you do it, it's still boiled meat. Now, dh likes to boil them first. I will admit they are more tender that way.

tarasdream
10-10-2008, 06:47 AM
the trick to good ribs is slow cooking, i dont like to boil them because they just dont taste the same if you get baby back you dont have to cook them as long but they taste so much better if you dont boil them, while they are cooking i will cook other things on the bottom of the grill and sometimes cook chicken for another nights dinner

fairydana
10-10-2008, 06:49 AM
I have always heard about boiling them first. I am a rub kind of girl too!

buglebe
10-10-2008, 08:10 AM
I want to crock pot some but read you need to boil them first to get rid of some of the fat. Anyone ever cooked them in the crock pot/ slow cooker? I have a friend who cooks them on the grill. She does not boil them first. They are delicious. I think the sauce has a lot to do with how good they are.

dinosmom
10-10-2008, 08:41 AM
I dont boil mine. Sometimes I will par cook them in the oven to get rid of some of the fat and I always wait until they are done to baste with the sauce. I rub them with some salt pepper and garlic when I precook them.

gmyers
10-10-2008, 08:51 AM

What do you dry rub them with? Everybodies suggestions are making me hungry to hurry and cook them.

crazylady
10-10-2008, 08:59 AM
I put the ribs into a disposable aluminum pan, pour a can of coke over them, sprinkle them with a bit of apple cider vinegar, then a good rub or steak seasoning. Cover the pan and seal tightly with foil. I have a big smoker/ grill (made from a recycled 150 gal. propane tank) and I build a fire at one end, starting with charcoal, then add wood. I put the pan on the other end and close the grill, so that the ribs can bake in indirect heat (like an oven) for a few hours...checking them every so often, and adding water as needed to keep them from drying out. When I'm ready to cook them, I add a good smoking wood to the fire (apple, peach, mesquite, pecan, hickory...) Remove the ribs from the pan and place them over the fire to char a little on each side, with or without sauce. Then put them on the other end of the grill again, without the pan, close the grill so the fire dies down and the wood starts smoking, and leave them there for about another 30 minutes. Serve sauce on the side. And...whether or not I'm putting th sauce on the ribs, I'll put it in a pan, and put it on the far end of the grill, to warm, and take in some of the natural wood smoke.

gmyers
10-10-2008, 09:11 AM
I am getting so hungry reading this.

catssass
10-10-2008, 09:16 AM
I want to crock pot some but read you need to boil them first to get rid of some of the fat. Anyone ever cooked them in the crock pot/ slow cooker? I have a friend who cooks them on the grill. She does not boil them first. They are delicious. I think the sauce has a lot to do with how good they are.

I always cook mine in the crockpot, I just put them in after salt & peppering them (or your favorite seasoning), I add NO liquid and just add a couple of thickly sliced onions (you can also add liquid smoke &/or a couple of slices of bacon). I cook them on low for 8 hrs., DRAIN LIQUID FIRST, Then I add my favorite BBQ sauce and heat through, I have also put them on the grill at this point too, to get that smokey grilled flavor and to get them somewhat crispy, both ways are great! (PS, my hubby is a meatcutter, lol)

buglebe
10-10-2008, 09:44 AM
Thank you , I'm buying some today. I will put them on tomorrow.

teenap
10-10-2008, 10:19 AM
Cant Miss Mephis Ribs

3 pounds of ribs

For Rub
4 tsps paprika
2 tsps salt
2 tsps fresh ground pepper
1 tsps cayenne pepper

For Sauce
2 cups ketchup
2 cups chopped onions
1 cup red wine vinegar
2 cloves minced garlic
1/4 cup yellow mustard
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 tsp hot sauce

Prepare ribs by removing the membrane from the underside of the ribs. Trim off any loose fat or meat. Prepare the smoker or the grill. YOu will want to hold the temperature around 225 degrees for 4 to 6 hours.
Season ribs with the rub and place on the grill. While they are cooking prepare the saucre
Blend together everything excpet the ketchup, pour into a saucepan and add the ketchup. Simmer over low heat for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside. Cook ribs until the internal temperature of the meat reaches 145 degrees. Brush with sauce. After about 10 minutes turn the ribs over and brush with sauce continualy during the cooking process.

Cooking time is 4 hours

sheila_361
10-10-2008, 12:10 PM
I just mixed whatever seasonings I had, like some Montreal Steak Seasoning, pepper, a dash of cheyene(sp) pepper,garlic salt, dried parsley flakes, kosher salt, some of the sample packets of Real lemon powder and paprika.

gmyers
10-10-2008, 12:38 PM
Thanks everybody this has really helped me and I can't wait to try out your suggestions. And I alsoi can't wait to try the ribs.

littlered1
10-14-2008, 09:24 AM

This is how I always cook mine...
boil them on med-low for about an hour to get rid of the fat. put the ribs in the crockpot, dump a bottle of open pit tangy all over them and cook on medium for a few hours. they will be so tender and very meaty too.

Eyore
10-14-2008, 09:52 AM
I either bake them in the oven and finish them on the grill, or I use the nonstick foil and put them in that with some water. Put on the grill over low heat and close the top. Go out and turn them about every 15 minutes for about 1 to 1.5 hours. Then I open them and see if they are ready to be removed from the foil and finish cooking them on the fire of the grill.

lassss
10-14-2008, 10:48 AM
I usually cook them in the slow cooker. All I do is stack em and put bbq sauce on them and let them cook all day. The meat just falls off the bone. No need to boil them.

If you grill them, grill on low heat for a few hours and put bbq sauce on them the last 45 minutes. Never put bbq sauce on them in the beginning because they will burn

gmyers
10-14-2008, 10:53 AM
I'm going to try them in the crock pot too and on the grill. Thanks everybody.