PDA

View Full Version : Is he ok?

belle5691
10-07-2008, 04:25 AM
Just wondering what others think :

My husband is disabled...has diabetes (Type II), CHF, Heart attacks. This weekend some strange things happened that Im not sure what to think. He swears he feels okay, just a little nauseated.

Anyway...Friday night we went out to eat with my parents and my brothers family for my youngest sons birthday. To put it nicely, my brother and dad were fighting for the bathroom shortly after we left the restaurant. It didnt affect my husband until later....and then he slept right through it. :stunned I had to wake him up and clean up the bed, help him get cleaned up, etc.

Saturday we had rented a car to visit my parents...so DH was not familiar with the car, however he was a mechanic for 30 years. To open the trunk you had to push a button on the drivers door. Above the button it said HOLD. Well, DH got frustrated when putting somethng in the trunk. He called me back to help him, he said he couldnt hold the button and open the trunk at the same time....Hes a mechanic, shouldnt he KNOW that you just hold the button till it pops?

Sunday, he was redoing some chairs...not a big deal, but he didnt have enough stuffing...so I went to buy him more. I saw cushions instead and asked if he would rather have that. He said no because he would then have to redo everythng he had already done ( This one, I can understand a little).

Then Sunday-Monday. He slept all night Sunday from 11pm till 4 pm on Monday.....He normally sleeps 3 hours max. It was a really deep sleep too like on Friday night.

Do you think this is just coincidences or should I look for something else going on with him? He says he is fine, just a little nauseated.

tngirl
10-07-2008, 04:42 AM
Ok, if you are worried the best thing would be for him to go to the doctor. If he is diabetic and has CHF these could be good indications that something is wrong.

nightrider127
10-07-2008, 05:23 AM
I would have him see a doctor.

Could he have had a mini stroke?

dawn827
10-07-2008, 05:35 AM
I am a type 1 diabetic. From experience with myself...and my brother who is also a type 1 you might want to check his sugar levels, they might be HIGH. When sugar levels are high people with diabetes they get really tired and out of it all together. Is he complaining of headaches? Is he drinking more then often? Going to the bathroom more then normal, (number 1 that is)? Is he taking his meds regularly?
If I were you I would get a glucose meter, if you don't already have one, and make sure that his sugar is at least below 150. I am not sure of how much he weighs but some diabetics can have sugars up to 200 and feel normal. If it is above 150 though, I would contact his doctor ASAP. It is not usual but sometimes people with type 1 are accidentally diagnosed with type 2..it may be possible that he could be type 1. He is showing all the signs from what I read of having high sugar levels.
I am not a doctor though, so you should anyways contact his doctor and let them know what is going on and when this all started. It does not sound normal.

MistyWolf
10-07-2008, 05:55 AM
I would have him see a doctor.

Could he have had a mini stroke?

That is what I was thinking.

pepperpot
10-07-2008, 05:58 AM
Sugar levels was my first thought as well.....:agree Hyperglycemia issues are slower in onset and take longer to recognize/appear as opposed to hypoglycemic......

Either way, take him to the docs. Both are serious issues.

gmyers
10-07-2008, 06:02 AM
I would definitely take him to a doctor its not normal to use the bathroom on yourself and sleep through it. I agree about the mini stroke or he could be fixing to have a major one. Or sleeping as hard as you say he might be trying to go in a coma. My dad had diabetes and when he was in the hospital dieing they couldn't wake him up. They thought he was just sleeping but he was trying to go into a coma. I hope you find out whats wrong with him. Please let us know when you do.

dinosmom
10-07-2008, 06:03 AM
I dont have first hand experience but my friends father is a diabetic and he does and says pretty abnormal stuff when his sugar levels are off. Reading what you wrote reminds me of the way her father acts at those times.

belle5691
10-07-2008, 07:09 AM
Thank you ALL for your replies. I just got home from work (I work 11 pm to 7:30 am) and I didnt know he had lab testing today....Which is great...because unless its a regularly scheduled appointment like that, he refuses to go to the doctor at all. Our son has taken him to that appt since I just got home. I appreciate all the responses a lot.

dawn827
10-07-2008, 09:32 AM
Hope everything comes back fine. Let us know the results. Best wishes to you both!!!

belle5691
10-07-2008, 09:45 PM
Just to let you guys know. I just got home from the ER. He has had a "mini" stroke. Just really overwhelmed right now. Thanks for your good thoughts

gmyers
10-07-2008, 10:56 PM
I'm sorry to hear that but maybe he got help before he had a major stroke. I'll keep both of you in my prayers. Hoping he makes a full recovery very soon. I can only imagine how scared you are. I hope every thing turns out good for you both.

MistyWolf
10-07-2008, 11:13 PM
Prayers going out to you and your hubby (((Belle))) .. I hope everything will be ok. If you want to talk, feel free to PM me, I have been through this.

CLARKS4
10-08-2008, 04:38 AM
Prayers for you and your hubby. Please keep us updated.

Army-Mom
10-08-2008, 05:58 AM
Prayers being said for your hubby and sending you hugs.

Unicornmom77
10-08-2008, 06:06 AM
We are praying for your husband and your family.

I just want to say to you, WAY TO GO!! A lot of people would have not identified those symptoms and may have just brushed them off. You obviously love your husband and are a very good care giver for him. BIG HUGS!

I will be keeping you on my heart and in my mind.

buglebe
10-08-2008, 05:23 PM
We are praying for your husband and your family.

I just want to say to you, WAY TO GO!! A lot of people would have not identified those symptoms and may have just brushed them off. You obviously love your husband and are a very good care giver for him. BIG HUGS!

I will be keeping you on my heart and in my mind.

I totally agree, you did good. I hope he is doing better.

memawang
10-08-2008, 07:09 PM
Just prayed

dawn827
10-08-2008, 07:23 PM
You and your family will be in my thoughts tonight. (((HUGS)))

belle5691
10-08-2008, 08:07 PM
I want to thank all of you for the good thoughts and prayers. We just got back from the hospital tonight. He was told he has a half dollar size spot on his brain. He was also told they expect him to make a full recovery, and his speech or body was not affected in any way, just memory, and hopefully that will be a short term problem. Thank you all for being here during this hard time for us.

CLARKS4
10-08-2008, 08:12 PM
Sending prayers for a speedy recovery.

gmyers
10-08-2008, 08:14 PM
I'm glad his speech and body wan't affected by it and I'll pray about the spot on his brain. The memory can come back my dad and mother-in-laws did. It took time but it did. I hope you're feeling better now too. I know that was scary for you.

MistyWolf
10-08-2008, 09:42 PM
Glad his speech and body are fine .. mine weren't ... I couldn't even write .. but it all came back, including memory. That actually took the longest. Just be patient if you ask him to do something and he forgets. It will all be fine with a little bit of time.

lucimPI
10-08-2008, 09:51 PM
I am so sorry that it happened but am so very glad that all is turning out OK. You will be in my prayers.