PDA

View Full Version : cigs

kmtsn
10-02-2008, 09:17 PM
Hello just wondering how many of you smoke? I have for years have cut down because of price and the kids HATE it if I smoke it is outside never in the house or car.

Tasha405
10-02-2008, 09:34 PM
I smoked for 20 years and quit almost a year ago. I used the prescription medicine Chantix to quit. :)

msmom79
10-02-2008, 10:31 PM
i smoke and my sons hate it-i do not smoke at their homes,i have enough respect for them to go outside-

speedygirl
10-02-2008, 10:33 PM
I quit. I'm glad I did now with cigarettes being over $7 a pack! I never smoked inside. I remember standing outside in the middle of a blizzard trying to light the thing while freeszing my a$$ off.

Shann
10-03-2008, 12:00 AM
I smoked for 20 years and quit almost a year ago. I used the prescription medicine Chantix to quit. :)

congrats Tasha!!!! I'm so glad that worked for you.

No, I do not nor have I ever smoked

tsquared
10-03-2008, 03:24 AM
Don't smoke anymore ...........did just after high school while drinking, but don't drink and don't smoke now

galeane29
10-03-2008, 05:08 AM
I smoked for years but quit 4 years ago next month. I never smoked inside the house but I did in my car and the kids hated it. My husband is not a smoker and he voiced his opinion all the time about my smoking, I'd had enough of him nagging the hell out of me so I quit and I'm glad I did, other than the weight I gained when I quit :(

dv8grl
10-03-2008, 05:29 AM
It'll be 4 yrs since my last cigarette.
I used the patch to quit., I couldn't have quit without it.

sheila_361
10-03-2008, 05:35 AM
before I quit 3 1/2 years ago I was smoking almost 3 packs a day I quit cold turkey the day I saw my beloved mom laying in a hospital bed with a machine breathing for her. Then to loose her.. I'll never start back up again.

wobblypops
10-03-2008, 06:05 AM
This is day 5 for me with no cigs. I am on Chantix. I've smoked for 36 years so I bet my health is done in by those cancer sticks but I am tired of being looked at as a criminal for smoking.

I may as well just do drugs, druggies are treated better then a smoker in this day & age.

dawn827
10-03-2008, 06:24 AM
I stopped about 2 years ago. Sadly however, I started back up about 3 months ago. It's so hard to stop when EVERYONE in your family smokes. Being around it all the time was torture! I actually had dreams of smoking cigs when I had quit. Crazy I know!
Congrats to everyone that has been able to quit. I wish I had your will power!

dv8grl
10-03-2008, 06:59 AM
I actually had dreams of smoking cigs when I had quit. Crazy I know!

Everyone has dreams that they still smoke., I'm sure like amputees who have dreams they still have their leg or arm.
I don't dream about it as much as I used to., when I would dream about it, I would wake up mad at myself., like OMG YOU SMOKED., when it was only a dream.

When you quit by using the patch or by using Chantix., you get the craziest dreams! BIZARRE!

Eyore
10-03-2008, 07:04 AM
I quit smoking 18 years ago. But daughter just quit a few weeks ago.
My husband switched from cigs to a pipe. I wish he would quit, I keep hoping he will someday.

Lild
10-03-2008, 07:44 AM
I smoke, but not around my kids. I am currently trying to quit

DBackFan
10-03-2008, 07:52 AM
I smoked for over 30 years but quit 3 1/2 years ago by reading a great book. I wish you all the strength to do it for yourself.

For those who might like to try the book, google it and read the awesome reviews.

Easy Way to Stop Smoking by Allen Carr.

meltodd69
10-03-2008, 07:56 AM
I've been smoking since I was real young. Strange because Mom never smoked. When I was in High School the school allowed us to smoke.
I tried to quit using the patches but they gave me the worst pain all the way up my side. So I can't use them. And the pills give me the worst migraines. My doctor even told me not to use any of them anymore.
Started rolling my own a couple years ago. Saves us a fortune!! I can roll two cartons (in no time at all) for about $25.
I really got tired of all the smoke on the walls so I cleaned them well and painted. Now we don't smoke in the house. It has helped with cutting down alot. Plus the ones I roll burn twice as long and I don't smoke the whole thing. And winter is coming so I will smoke even less lol. Might be the best time to try again.
For those of you that quit cold turkey ( I think that is going to be the only way for me), How did you do it? Any suggestions would be helpful. I am willing to try just about anything. I don't drink anymore so that helps lol. When I drank I would smoke one after the other.
I have a grandbaby coming and would really like to be around for many years to come. It maybe to late, Damage might be done already. But I would still like to quit.
Thanks in advance for your advice!

cabby92
10-03-2008, 08:07 AM
I tried and tried by planning, cutting down, patches, etc. but it never worked. One moring I woke up and lit my first morning cigarette when I was barely awake. It tasted like crap and I wondered why I was doing that to myself. I had a few old patches so I stuck one on and never looked back. I guess something just clicked for me that morning. I used the patches for four days and that was enough. It was five years in May. I had smoked for decades.

Take the patches off before bedtime and you won't have those crazy dreams.

nedthenanite
10-03-2008, 08:12 AM
i quit in '99 as a new year's resolution. i used the gum to quit, and after 6 months i started chewing regular gum to quit the nicotine gum. i also used to chew 5 to 7 clorets gum at a time, because the guy i worked next to stunk real bad.

ElleGee
10-03-2008, 08:41 AM
Quit 6 years ago this coming Thanksgiving week... Quit cold turkey too hehe

Mom2-3boys
10-03-2008, 08:52 AM
I've been smoking since I was real young. Strange because Mom never smoked. When I was in High School the school allowed us to smoke.
I tried to quit using the patches but they gave me the worst pain all the way up my side. So I can't use them. And the pills give me the worst migraines. My doctor even told me not to use any of them anymore.
Started rolling my own a couple years ago. Saves us a fortune!! I can roll two cartons (in no time at all) for about $25.
I really got tired of all the smoke on the walls so I cleaned them well and painted. Now we don't smoke in the house. It has helped with cutting down alot. Plus the ones I roll burn twice as long and I don't smoke the whole thing. And winter is coming so I will smoke even less lol. Might be the best time to try again.
For those of you that quit cold turkey ( I think that is going to be the only way for me), How did you do it? Any suggestions would be helpful. I am willing to try just about anything. I don't drink anymore so that helps lol. When I drank I would smoke one after the other.
I have a grandbaby coming and would really like to be around for many years to come. It maybe to late, Damage might be done already. But I would still like to quit.
Thanks in advance for your advice!

There with ya! We don't go out and drink often but when we do holy cow do we smoke! I really want to quit and go sometimes 3-4 days with only having 1-2 cigs/day which I could even probably go without if Dh wasn't asking me to come outside and smoke with him. If he would quit I could do it easily and we both have done it before now he needs to set his mind to it so I can do it! Maybe putting some blame on my Dh is a cop out but it is really very hard not to smoke when you live with someone who does. We do not smoke in our house either I hate the smell and film it leaves on everything!

crazylady
10-03-2008, 09:07 AM
DH and I quit, cold turkey, when I found out that I was pregnant with my DD. She'll be 19 on Oct. 11th. We had both decided that it was getting too expensive...cigs were about $13. a carton , then...LOL Anyway, we said that when the caton we had was gone, we weren't going to buy anymore, and we didn't.

Tasha405
10-03-2008, 09:14 AM
Congrats to all that have quit and good luck to those who are trying!! :)

dcut4
10-03-2008, 12:35 PM
This is day 5 for me with no cigs. I am on Chantix. I've smoked for 36 years so I bet my health is done in by those cancer sticks but I am tired of being looked at as a criminal for smoking.

I may as well just do drugs, druggies are treated better then a smoker in this day & age.

WAY TO GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the first week or so is the hardest. You almost are through it!

after 30 years (and Im only 43) I quit for the 3rd and final time 4 months ago using Chantix. This time is different. I actually WANTED to stop smoking so I KNOW it will stick.

jones10021
10-03-2008, 01:22 PM
I dont. Never have. My dad was a chain smoker and my mother not so much. as kids we begged and nagged her to stop and she finally did. Not so with the chain smoker. Unfortunately i can imaging him getting sick from it and passing away before his time. Smoking is just horrible for your health. Try to stop if you can.

tuggerbug
10-03-2008, 03:55 PM
I smoked for 36 years. I've been smoke free for almost 2 years. Now I can't tolerate the smell.

Ms.LG
10-03-2008, 04:19 PM
Smoker here. Have been since I was about 16 and I will be 29 in Jan.

End of last year into the beginning of this one, I quit for 2 months and realized I LIKE smoking. So I switched from ciggies to "little cigars". I go between Chyenne Peach (under $10 a carton) and Vaqueros (also under $10).

I am an outside smoker since I have kids, always have been. Plus now here in Maine its a fine to smoke with kids in the car anyway.

Do I want to quit ? I guess. Just not yet.

Kind of sad when my Dad is dying of COPD.

stresseater
10-03-2008, 07:39 PM
I smoke, three packs a day(or there abouts). If my stress level ever drops some I might consider quitting but not right now. I'd be on the 10:00 news.

poggles3
10-03-2008, 09:19 PM
Smoker here, never inside or around the kids, tried the patch, smoked on it, tried the nicorette, too nasty to use, would rather eat a cig than chew that! So for the 3rd time, I'm once again spacing out when I go out and smoke, which haveing two kids in diapers home with me all day helps, cant leave them unsupervised for 5 mins to hit the porch, my house would be trashed they would be swinging from the light fixtures!!!!
BIG BIG CONGRATS to everyone who has quit, must be a great feeling!

magickay
10-03-2008, 11:03 PM
Started smoking when I was 40, stopped cold turkey for a few months several years ago, started again, stopped last year for a little while using Nicorette Cinnamon Surge gum (which was much better than the nasty mint gum they had years ago). Started again (*sigh*) -- and am stopping again as of TODAY. Just a little tired of being so weak-willed.