PDA

View Full Version : South Texas town ousts sex offender mayor

wobblypops
10-01-2008, 07:26 PM
South Texas town ousts sex offender mayor
Tue Sep 30, 12:16 AM ET

POTEET, Texas - A city council in South Texas on Monday unanimously voted to remove a registered sex offender as mayor, hours after the man was released from jail on new child sex charges.

ADVERTISEMENT

The Poteet City Council declared Mayor Lino Donato's position vacant because he has missed three consecutive council meetings, city attorney Frank Garza said. Council members installed the mayor pro-tem to act as mayor until a decision is made on how to replace Donato.

"It is time that the city of Poteet get off the radar scope as being highlighted with problems," Councilman Allen Buck said. "This is an outstanding city."

The Associated Press could not locate a telephone number for Donato. He did not attend the meeting nor return messages left by the San Antonio Express-News, which reported the story on its Web site Monday.

Earlier in the day, Donato was released on $200,000 bond from the Atascosa County Jail. He was arrested last week on child sex charges involving a girl younger than 14. He faces charges of aggravated sexual assault, indecency with a child by contact and attempted indecency with a child by contact.

The new charges are unrelated to the charges Donato pleaded guilty to in October 2007: two counts of indecency by exposure and no contest to one count of indecency by contact. He accepted deferred adjudication and probation and was required to register as a sex offender.

Donato's attorney, Gary Churak, is appealing the first set of charges and said Donato is innocent of the new charges.

Donato's probation requires him to stay more than 1,000 feet from places where children congregate. That means he must also stay out of city hall because it is within 200 feet of a youth center.

Poteet is a town of about 3,500 residents located 30 miles south of San Antonio.

http://www.ksat.com/2006/0720/9546924_320X240.jpg

jbbarn
10-01-2008, 07:31 PM
Yuck! What a pig!

gmyers
10-01-2008, 07:32 PM
Good for them. He deserves to be ousted. Thats for sure. Good grief I can't believe he was the mayor of their town talk about a scum bag.

wobblypops
10-01-2008, 07:45 PM
I goggle'd him & you wouldn't believe all the crap about him that I am finding & it's dated back into July of 2006. I am trying to find out if he's a Dem. or a Rep. but I can't seem to find it anywhere so I am going to ASSume he's a Democrap since it hasn't made its way into the MSM.

jeanea33
10-01-2008, 07:48 PM
Think people of that town might wanna check a little harder into who they vote. I don't get how this got passed them. If its only because of new charges, why didnt they get rid of him on previous charges? *shrug* All charges are bad enough to get rid of him from the start.

wobblypops
10-01-2008, 08:05 PM
What's the difference between him & any other idiot that is getting a free press ride for this year's (& many others in the past) elections?