PDA

View Full Version : Since when does the price of a medicene

IthinkNOT!
09-13-2008, 08:20 AM
Since when does the price of a medicine go up by 2$ per pill in less than a week?

I called the pharmacy to get a partial fill on my mom's lyrica. She is supposed to be getting this for free through connection to care, but the doctors office messed up the paper work. I have been buying this out of pocket for a month now, because I couldn't afford all of it at one time I would only buy a few pills at a time. On monday these pills were 2.67 each. Today they are 4.69 each. WTF???

Isn't that price gouging?

buglebe
09-13-2008, 08:37 AM
When you buy a partial fill like that, my understanding is that the pharmacist can charge you what he wants to for his time. I could be mistaken. I wish I could mail you mine that I quit taking but you can't mail prescriptions through the mail. Pharmacy companies can but they are addressed to the person whose name is on the bottle.

Eyore
09-13-2008, 08:59 AM
Call other pharmacies and see what it cost and if cheaper transfer her prescription.

msmom79
09-13-2008, 12:16 PM
Wow That Is A Jump In Price-i Would Be Going Somewhere Else

nightrider127
09-13-2008, 01:07 PM
We were paying $30 with insurance for my husbands Prevacid. It jumped to a $48 co pay in one month.

I personally think the drug manufacturers are gouging and they are going to end up being the looser. My husband simply called his doctor and got his prescription changed to something simalar that costs much less and works just as well. I think a lot of people are going to get tired of being gouged this way and will do the same thing.

SLance68
09-13-2008, 01:18 PM
Is there another "older" medication that will do the same as the Lyrica for a generic price? Most Dr's will give the new stuff instead of prescribing a old standby that works just as well. Not sure what Lyrica does but you might have your Mom ask her Dr. The worst thing that they can do is say NO.

As for the price jump that is just crazy. Hope they get the paperwork straightened out soon for her coverage.

nightrider127
09-13-2008, 01:21 PM
My husbnd took Lyrica for a while. From my understanding, it is for nerve pain. There is bound to be something else for that type pain out there.

IthinkNOT!
09-13-2008, 01:31 PM
Just got back from the pharmacy where I got 6 of mom's lyrica and paid 28.14. Her 3 month supply is supposed to be in Monday. I got the tracking # from connection to care and it is in Raleigh right this minute. I also called the 800# to see if they had any further information, but all they could tell me was "your package is on its way". I was like no ****!

The 4.69 per pill is at Walgreen, everyone else was 5 and over. I don't get how it went up that fast.

This is the first thing that has ever worked for my Mom, it has made a world of difference.

And from now on I will be handling all of her paperwork so that the dr's office can't lose it again, and then take a week to sign and another week to mail off, Don'tcha know the mail only runs on Thursdays?

So maybe this is the last time I will go through this for awhile.

mimilizz
09-13-2008, 01:52 PM
you ought to check costco or sams to go to there pharmacie you dont have to have a membershipto get medicine

speedygirl
09-13-2008, 03:22 PM
They hold you captive to paying gouged prices when there's no generic alternative. The patent for Lyrica currently expires in October 2013 so they have 5 more years of jacking it up.

whatever
09-13-2008, 04:37 PM
Have you ever asked for samples? Doctors offices have ALOT of different kinds of samples. OR coupons also.
I would be way poed also!! I really don't see how a pharmacy can get away with that.

LunaChick
09-14-2008, 12:23 PM
Since when does the price of a medicine go up by 2$ per pill in less than a week?

I called the pharmacy to get a partial fill on my mom's lyrica. She is supposed to be getting this for free through connection to care, but the doctors office messed up the paper work. I have been buying this out of pocket for a month now, because I couldn't afford all of it at one time I would only buy a few pills at a time. On monday these pills were 2.67 each. Today they are 4.69 each. WTF???

Isn't that price gouging?

Try this link to check out some prices. Maybe it will help you out. I think Drugstore.com is affiliated with Rite Aid pharmacy.

http://www.pharmacychecker.com/Strength.asp?drugId=45770

IthinkNOT!
09-14-2008, 03:52 PM
Thanks, I am definitely looking into that!

punkyjenn
09-16-2008, 06:05 PM
i got a week's supply of medicine, it was $21.47. i ended up needing another week, and the second round was $27.89. i asked the workers at pharmacy, and they claimed to have no idea why that happened. definitely frustrating.