PDA

View Full Version : Just an observation...

sheila_361
09-11-2008, 06:19 AM
Just an observation, not complaining, but have y'all ever noticed that when someone posts a really good RAOK, that people who never even post in the off topic or have like only a few post come out of the wood work? LOL

Lild
09-11-2008, 06:22 AM
LOL, I saw that..I was wondering who the people were...

sheila_361
09-11-2008, 06:24 AM
I'll be calling you soon Dee-Dee, my voice is a bit on the squeaky side right now from whatever crude it is I have...

Lild
09-11-2008, 06:31 AM
Can't wait...get that voice strong, you'll need it to talk over my little ones when they are on one..... Ask Michelle, lol

atprm
09-11-2008, 06:32 AM
yes, I noticed that...

it's the same on SD ... so when they do giveaways, people ALWAYS post that if you don't have a certain number of posts, don't bother applying....

Willow
09-11-2008, 06:33 AM
Sheila, I was telling Kevin the same thing last night. lol

ladybugva
09-11-2008, 06:35 AM
hey even those that live in the wood like free stuff :rolling

Willow
09-11-2008, 06:39 AM
I didn't sign up for the quilt because I have been getting so much stuff lately for the baby that I would have felt greedy. I did sign Kevin up for the candy raok though because that would have been for him since I can't eat that stuff anymore. lol

ladybugva
09-11-2008, 06:44 AM
Willow I didn't know until now that this is your new name was wondering who Willow the new mod was for a while. LOL I am here but must be out of the loop

sheila_361
09-11-2008, 06:52 AM
Willow is your mailing address is still the same one that I have already?

galeane29
09-11-2008, 07:06 AM
I never sign up for the RAOK offers until the last two. I HAD to sign up for Sheila's because I have seen her works of art.

And yes, I did notice all the unfamiliar names LOL:)

sheila_361
09-11-2008, 07:09 AM
April we should meet halfway and that way I can hand deliver it to ya? Whatcha think?

Willow
09-11-2008, 07:10 AM
Sheila, yes it is. :)

sheila_361
09-11-2008, 07:17 AM
okay Willow, I have a little somethin, somethin that I'm going to be mailing you for Lucy. :)

Willow
09-11-2008, 07:19 AM
okay Willow, I have a little somethin, somethin that I'm going to be mailing you for Lucy. :)

Thank you, Sheila! That's really sweet of you. :)

sheila_361
09-11-2008, 07:21 AM
your welcome Willow. :)

galeane29
09-11-2008, 01:24 PM
I would love to Sheila. But, with things as crazy as they are right now, I'd not know when it would happen:( One day ....One day, LOL

chib44
09-11-2008, 01:39 PM
yeppers Sheila great point, I post once in a while but never respond to the RAOK I think anyone thats offers them are very nice and kind, but dont feel I should respond,becouse Iam not that active. I love the board and most of the posters. By the way your work is wonderful and I know yarn is not cheap and the price of yarn is carzy. When I first started to crochet yarn was 2 eight oz for a dollar those were the good ole days lol What you are doing is unbeliveable

captorquewrench
09-11-2008, 01:45 PM
I don't respond to RAOK offers...because most of the are not truly Random Acts ...

galeane29
09-11-2008, 01:48 PM
What's that suppose to mean?

captorquewrench
09-11-2008, 01:55 PM
it means an RAOK is a "random act of kindness"...and I think when people make the offers, they are usually very nice offers, but not truly random and may put a condition on receiving the kindness.

Therefore, while nice, not a true RAOK in the strictest sense of the original intentions when the little RAOK movement started after that pay it forward movie

seeking it out takes out a lot of the intended spirit of RAOK if I look for it; I have acted to remove the randomness and selfishly take

galeane29
09-11-2008, 01:58 PM
Why has there always gotta be that one person.....

chib44
09-11-2008, 01:58 PM
thats just crazy

captorquewrench
09-11-2008, 01:59 PM
no galeane, you misunderstand me, I just logically see it different, I am not griping, I just try to live it out on the giving end instead of seeking out those things to take advantage for myself. i think it's a very nice thing you guys do, but I conceive the concept of RAOK as something like seeing someone in a restaurant and paying for their order, or covering the toll for someone behind me on the tollroad.

I didn't choose them from responders, they didn't look for me to do it.

I guess it's a matter of semantics.

Both are nice things to do and I don't see anything wrong either way.

Lild
09-11-2008, 02:00 PM
:backaway
Why has there always gotta be that one person.....

galeane29
09-11-2008, 02:03 PM
:backaway

What'd I say?

captorquewrench
09-11-2008, 02:04 PM
thats just crazy

i don't see how. I just think of an RAOK as something different, and have not said anything about your practices here as being bad.

loveswolfs
09-11-2008, 02:04 PM
Ive been gone all day so havnt seen the thread you all are talking about, but when i do RAOK i some times say you have to be a member here longer than a year, not that i give great things away, i just would rather a long time member get it than some one who just joined that day.

captorquewrench
09-11-2008, 02:05 PM
i didn't know there as a thread being talked about, I haven't been on in a while. I was commenting on the concept of RAOK in general

Lild
09-11-2008, 02:07 PM
Eventually, when I do a really cool one, I am making it the rule...you have to be an active member:)
Since it will be my RAOK I think I can do that...I am just trying to think of one..

captorquewrench
09-11-2008, 02:11 PM
I think I see the thread...and how I upset some people. because while I don't see anything wrong with how it was done, i would have called that way something else.

Airbuswife
09-11-2008, 02:12 PM
I don't respond to RAOK offers...because most of the are not truly Random Acts ...

not sure what you mean..... ?

captorquewrench
09-11-2008, 02:13 PM
check the replies I made after, I explained it. it's simply a matter of semantics.
the RAOK here is done more like what I consider a drawing, and IMO that's like calling a sweepstakes an RAOK
but they are still fun!

Airbuswife
09-11-2008, 02:42 PM
so to you a "true" raok is done annonymously, i think thats what you're saying. :)

captorquewrench
09-11-2008, 02:45 PM
I think anonymity certainly isn't bad, but not always, I mean sweeps aren't always anonymous. But in my mind I think that is a big part of it, just because i think true kindness doesn't seek glory for its own sake by drawing attention to itself.

I'm NOT saying it's bad to be recognized for doing something good. we all need that now & then.

and that is my observation in general terms and not targeted to anyone or anything specific

Mini
09-11-2008, 02:56 PM
When people enter these raok's they enter HOPING they will win not knowing they will so to me its still a raok cause you dont know for sure whos gonna get it, just a random name drawn from a hat(or whatever) and when a lot of people enter, like for Sheilas raok, it makes it that much more random if you get it.

Thats JMO But I understand where everyone is comin from :)

btw, congrats on winning galeane!

and another btw lol I noticed that to Sheila

snaeger07
09-11-2008, 03:34 PM
I'm still new I try to post :)

msmom79
09-11-2008, 04:04 PM
ummmmmmmmmmmmmmm w@w sheila i think this is very nice of you! your work is just beautiful and you are so kind to do this for someone:star:

speedygirl
09-11-2008, 04:08 PM
Who cares about semantics. No matter if it's called a ROAK, a drawing or what ever...I call it a wonderful gesture!
Thanks to those who do these wonderful things!

tngirl
09-11-2008, 04:08 PM
I understand what captorquewrench is saying. She was posting a random thought about radom kindness. Basically, the randomness is taken away when you have a drawing for it. Random in the general sense of the word is if you went through and picked a person without asking then gave them what you have to give. Or driving down the highway seeing someone in need, handing them some money and driving off.

I also understand the way some of the ROAK's are done.

VenuStar
09-11-2008, 07:12 PM
Sheila...just letting you know I"m going to be in Atlanta on Oct 16...maybe we can get together THIS time, lol

Sheila B

keoka3
09-11-2008, 07:16 PM
I would to of loved to of had anything Sheila made, but I didn't sign up for this

YankeeMary
09-11-2008, 07:48 PM
Sheila...just letting you know I"m going to be in Atlanta on Oct 16...maybe we can get together THIS time, lol

Sheila B

Well if you get to meet Shelia, then maybe me and Clarks4 can meet up with you 2 and make it a foursome...hehe. That would be a blast. Shelia and Sarah both are alot of fun.

sheila_361
09-12-2008, 06:40 AM

Sheila B

Sheila, lets plan for it..

sheila_361
09-12-2008, 06:40 AM
Well if you get to meet Shelia, then maybe me and Clarks4 can meet up with you 2 and make it a foursome...hehe. That would be a blast. Shelia and Sarah both are alot of fun.

And Mary yes it would be great if you and Sarah could join in and we'll do something fun

flute
09-12-2008, 06:44 AM

whoa bud ump!

atprm
09-12-2008, 02:27 PM
it means an RAOK is a "random act of kindness"...and I think when people make the offers, they are usually very nice offers, but not truly random and may put a condition on receiving the kindness.

Therefore, while nice, not a true RAOK in the strictest sense of the original intentions when the little RAOK movement started after that pay it forward movie

seeking it out takes out a lot of the intended spirit of RAOK if I look for it; I have acted to remove the randomness and selfishly take

I think anonymity certainly isn't bad, but not always, I mean sweeps aren't always anonymous. But in my mind I think that is a big part of it, just because i think true kindness doesn't seek glory for its own sake by drawing attention to itself.

I'm NOT saying it's bad to be recognized for doing something good. we all need that now & then.

and that is my observation in general terms and not targeted to anyone or anything specific

alllllllllllrighty then.

Who cares about semantics. No matter if it's called a ROAK, a drawing or what ever...I call it a wonderful gesture!
Thanks to those who do these wonderful things!

I call it an RAOK and I think that it was a beautiful gesture.

Usually RAOK's do not hold such a high monetary value -- but to RAOK a handmade blanket, shawl, scarf, hat, whatever is time, effort and $$ invested... and it was awesome!! (even though you picked galeane over me -- afterall why would she need it, since she is in the south -- we are freezing up here in michigan!!!!!)

captorquewrench
09-12-2008, 02:29 PM
Just an observation, not complaining, but have y'all ever noticed that when someone posts a really good RAOK, that people who never even post in the off topic or have like only a few post come out of the wood work? LOL

lol. i'm guilty, I've been here 7 or so years, and 10K+ posts, but I can see how it seems like I come out of the woodwork to you guys.

And I agree handmade afghans are great, and it was a very nice thing to be done. All I said was...I think it was a more like a prize drawing. I didn't attack anyone.

I personally care a lot about semantics.

sheila_361
09-12-2008, 02:37 PM
no worries here, as I said I wasn't complaining at all, just making a general statement so to speak..LOL

galeane29
09-12-2008, 03:42 PM
alllllllllllrighty then.

I call it an RAOK and I think that it was a beautiful gesture.

Usually RAOK's do not hold such a high monetary value -- but to RAOK a handmade blanket, shawl, scarf, hat, whatever is time, effort and $$ invested... and it was awesome!! (even though you picked galeane over me -- afterall why would she need it, since she is in the south -- we are freezing up here in michigan!!!!!)

It still gets cold down here, even if it is only for a minute LOL

atprm
09-12-2008, 04:20 PM
yeah sure... LOL... just like it snows in hell.

LOL

catdance
09-12-2008, 05:25 PM
I only entered this one for a Christmas Drive I have done and some of you over at another board and here at this one got in on it...I love the Afgans too, but it would go to a family or families that got in on this years Christmas Drive for those in true need.
So a win for me is not for me.
Someone else gets it if I were lucky.

JerseyMook
09-13-2008, 08:28 AM
I have signed up for the last two because I am a fairly new poster and trying to fit in a little - it's pretty hard sometimes because you guys all seem to have a long history and don't seem to have much room for newbies.

But if nothing else I am persistant - sooner or later I will find my spot.

Lild
09-13-2008, 09:03 AM
I have signed up for the last two because I am a fairly new poster and trying to fit in a little - it's pretty hard sometimes because you guys all seem to have a long history and don't seem to have much room for newbies.

But if nothing else I am persistant - sooner or later I will find my spot.

Ohhh, dont feel like there isn't room....You have to jump in, regardless, you will make friends and find a few people that hate ya...:dancing:

Plus, you have to get in good with Tngirl b/c she is the leader, LOL :)

galeane29
09-13-2008, 09:05 AM
We were all 'newbies' at one time. Come on in, the water is warm :)

Lild
09-13-2008, 09:05 AM
We were all 'newbies' at one time. Come on in, the water is warm :)

Just whatever you do, Don't drink the water:beamup

galeane29
09-13-2008, 09:08 AM
LMAO

Yeah, what Lild said

JerseyMook
09-13-2008, 09:10 AM
I'm trying! With my work schedule being what it is I don't have as much time to participate as much as I might like but I am not going anywhere (unless of course I manage to tick off Tngirl)

Hit or miss - I will be around.

Lild
09-13-2008, 09:11 AM
I'm trying! With my work schedule being what it is I don't have as much time to participate as much as I might like but I am not going anywhere (unless of course I manage to tick off Tngirl)

Hit or miss - I will be around.

Lol, she really is one of the sweetest people... She is also blunt which sometimes comes off as mean..

JerseyMook
09-13-2008, 09:16 AM
Meanness is not one of my habits - I tend to drift more to shoe buying

galeane29
09-13-2008, 09:29 AM
Tngirl is a sweetie pie, she is just like alot of us, to the point and honest. Many take that as rude or what have you but I have more respect for those that don't try to kiss azz. Know what I mean?

JerseyMook
09-13-2008, 09:36 AM
I agree - I am who I am and I am sure that not everyone will always agree with what I say but I always try to say it nicely. Life is too short to alienate people and not worth making others feel badly.

This is supposed to be fun!

Anig2u
09-13-2008, 11:53 AM
Well don't feel bad I haven't been able to be here much and I feel all but forgotten. AND I just had me a little pity party..and nobody showed up!!! hahahahahaha No but seriously I have missed you guys, I am going to try to be around more often, at least until it get's close to X-mas, then I will be working as much overtime as I can. YAY! Not!