PDA

View Full Version : Mars candy and unnecessary animal testing

Shann
09-08-2008, 09:36 PM
Recently I found out that Mars candy corp has been doing unnecessary animal testing on mice and rats. :mad: I did some research and am completely sicked at what I found. I honestly had hoped that what I read was false, unfortunately it was correct. Here's just one of the links (I know some of you are not PETA fans and sometimes I have to question their motives for the things they do. This website is from them, just wanted to let everyone know before they click on the link.) http://www.marscandykills.com/ You can also google it and tons of links and videos will pop up. I haven't seen any of the videos as I don't care to b/c I know I'll end up sobbing. I'm so disgusted over this. Snickers WAS my favorite candy bar, but I've personally decided to boycott this company until their unnecessary animal testing stops. :sob :sob :sob :sob

mosdata1
09-08-2008, 09:39 PM
I didn't look, & I know you said you didn't either, so maybe you can't answer this question - but what in the world would they have to test on animals?

Shann
09-08-2008, 09:41 PM
I didn't look, & I know you said you didn't either, so maybe you can't answer this question - but what in the world would they have to test on animals?

you can look at that link, it will not show any videos unless you click on them and it tells you what they test on. :( very sad

Unicornmom77
09-08-2008, 09:52 PM
I read it and I have a hard time understanding it! I too am boycotting their products. Its sick... I do not know why they need to test on animals.

tngirl
09-08-2008, 10:21 PM
There are lots of reasons they test products on animals. The video claims that they don't get the same results with animals as with a human, here they are wrong. Different animals are chosen for particular test based on similiarity with humans.

The government in my opinion is at fault in a lot of ways. Considering the obesity kick they are on and dictating to us what we can and cannot eat. Forcing companies to change their ingredients in order to make their food healthier.

I on one hand agree that animal testing is cruel, I love animals. But, then again, I think of all the things that have been discovered through animal experiments. For a chocolate bar? Yeah, no big inovation there, but if the experiments are not done in order to stay up-to-date with government mandates then the companies are going to start going out of business.

I have not found anything yet on the subject other than PETA and PETA type people posting a lot of stuff.

Lild
09-09-2008, 06:14 AM
I agree with you Tngirl... I think that in some cases, animal testing has helped us. This though is insane. It's chocolate!!!! I can't understand why they would need to do that. I only made it down half of the page though, it made me sad.

tngirl
09-09-2008, 06:19 AM
If you go to the Mars homepage and click on the news releases, you would see what would appear to be the reasoning behind the possible experiments. One of the new releases was on how cocoa could be good for the heart. I am not saying it is right. But, PETA and other animal activists groups have a way of stretching the truth or leaving out important information.

wobblypops
09-09-2008, 07:29 AM
Knowing that PETA is against them, I will but their products from now on.

atprm
09-09-2008, 07:50 AM
I hate PETA. I think they exagerate everything. Along with wobbly, knowing that PETA is against them I will exclusively buy their products from now on (not that it changes much, since I love Milky Way, Snickers and 3 Musketeers anyway).

When I heard PETA was against KFC, I started going there more -- the chicken is delicious (always has been)

tngirl
09-09-2008, 07:59 AM
I love me some M&M's!

Shann
09-09-2008, 02:30 PM
how nice that some are for the unethical killing of animals for something that doesn't need to be tested on anyways... just very very sad :(

I thought this was interesting off mar's website:

Snackfood, Food, Petcare and Drinks

In the development of our snackfood and human food and drink products, as well as our products for dogs, cats, birds and horses, we do not undertake, support or sponsor research that harms animals.

In fact, over decades, Mars has established an unparalleled history in pet care and in developing standards for animal wellbeing, environmental enrichment, and nutritional requirements. We have pioneered the investigations into the benefits of pets to the people who care for them. This rich past is reflected in our pet care brands, our pet-loving associates and in our premier pet care facility, the Waltham Centre for Pet Nutrition. The Centre is a state-of-the-art, purpose-built facility dedicated to the wellbeing of dogs and cats. Here, we use caring science to understand our pets’ unique environmental and nutritional needs so that they can live long, happy, healthy lives. To read more about the Centre, please visit our home site at www.waltham.com.

When necessary, we conduct human clinical studies to substantiate the health benefits claimed on our snackfood, food and drink products.

hmmm.. are they not aware of their killing of mice and rats, some who end up drowning? Maybe they need to look into their company a little more closely :sob

I thought this article was interesting http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/491927/mars_vs_peta.html?cat=9

and dare I say this.. I've always hoped that those who needlessly do animal testing and those who needlessly support it come back as a test animal, that they feel the pain and torture for no reason at all like the poor innocent animals every day. I am NOT a PETA supporter, but I also do not believe in cruelty to animals and this is cruelty. :mad:

atprm
09-09-2008, 02:34 PM
how nice that some are for the unethical killing of animals for something that doesn't need to be tested on anyways... just very very sad :(

and dare I say this.. I've always hoped that those who needlessly do animal testing and those who needlessly support it come back as a test animal, that they feel the pain and torture for no reason at all like the poor innocent animals every day. I am NOT a PETA supporter, but I also do not believe in cruelty to animals and this is cruelty. :mad:

Only if you believe the bullschit that PETA puts out. Personally, I think they are so flippin slanted they wouldn't know the truth if it bit them in the ass.

As far as reincarnation, I am Catholic and we don't believe in that.

tngirl
09-09-2008, 02:53 PM
Unethical killing of animals is what pit bull fighters and cock fighters do. Research is not unethical. Mars says they don't do these experiments but PETA says they do. You chose to believe PETA. You have yet to show any legitimate sources that back up PETA's claim.

Have you watched the video yet? I have watched it and it doesn't prove any of the points that PETA say are true about Mars. It shows random pictures flashing in between a little girl, an old black man and a younger woman counting and talking. You and PETA both make it sound like the video of is the actual experimentation being done at MARS.

You want to feel that testing of animals is unethical, okay, then why don't you volunteer for some of the experiments that may save a life? Oh wait!! Kind of hard to find anyone willing to volunteer for such cases, isn't there? So, don't go getting on a high horse and accuse people of being insensitive or saying we support unethical killing of animals.

I make my mind up when it is supported by FACT and not something the whacko PETA tells me. Too many people jump onto the bandwagon and chose what they want to believe about too many things without actually finding out FACTS for themselve. Yep, you can google about the experiments and find out all sorts of things that are OPINION. Yet, in that search, I can't find any FACTS to back up what PETA says.

wobblypops
09-09-2008, 02:58 PM
I couldn't have said it better Tn.

Anyone can put anything on the net & it seems that anyone gullible enough will hold on to it as gospel. Nope sorry, I cannot & will not believe anything these wacko nuts say.

ahippiechic
09-09-2008, 03:02 PM
I don't support the unethical killing of animals for testing purposes. But sometimes it IS necessary to use animals for research.

I would NOT take PETA'S word for much of anything though. I think they would make good substitute test 'animals'.

atprm
09-09-2008, 03:13 PM
I would NOT take PETA'S word for much of anything though. I think they would make good substitute test 'animals'.

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa99/lorynia/windex.jpg

dv8grl
09-09-2008, 03:40 PM
I am NOT a PETA supporter, but I also do not believe in cruelty to animals and this is cruelty. :mad:

I'm there with you girl!
Thankfully I've never supported MARS, since I never buy cheap, sh!tty chocolate.

Shann
09-09-2008, 04:18 PM
I'm not talking about all research, I'm talking about THIS research where Mars is testing on animals. I have been looking, I'm not finding other chocolate companies that are testing on animals. I'm also not finding ONE bit of info saying that Mars IS NOT doing these tests. I would think if you were a big candy company and had your name smeared through the mud, you'd want it cleared? Like I said, i don't believe everything PETA says, no I'm not that gullible, after all they have been shown to kill animals themselves and for a company that is suppose to be all for animal rights.... sure doesn't look that way.

http://skivai.net/video/1835/mars-candy-kills-unnecessary-and-cruel-animal-experiments.html

Mars funded a deadly experiment on mice that was published in a 2007 issue of the Journal of Neuroscience

Now I don't get the Journal of Neuroscience, but I cannot imagine one would just put that out on the internet for kicks and giggles.

janelle
09-09-2008, 04:37 PM
Well if you give chocolate to a dog you may kill it. Give people chocolate and they do not die. What kind of stupid testing would they find? Chocolate kills, I don't think so. Sure glad they weren't around when people first started eating chocolate.

tngirl
09-09-2008, 05:23 PM
Yeah, actually it is on the web.

The Neural Basis of Choice and Decision Making (http://www.jneurosci.org/cgi/content/full/27/31/8159?maxtoshow=&HITS=10&hits=10&RESULTFORMAT=1&andorexacttitle=and&titleabstract=University+of+California&andorexacttitleabs=and&andorexactfulltext=and&searchid=1&FIRSTINDEX=0&sortspec=relevance&fdate=1/1/2007&tdate=12/31/2007&resourcetype=HWCIT#B2)

Once again, same video posted on someone's blog. So, just because someone says it is so makes it so? And what you are speaking of sounds more like a respectable study and not something that was done just because of our love of chocolate or because someone wants to have their jollies. They funded study at a research Universtiy obviously for the neuroscience.

wobblypops
09-09-2008, 06:58 PM
My best friend is a neuroscientist, I'll ask her if she has that month's issue of the article. As a matter of fact, I'll go call her right now.