PDA

View Full Version : Orthodontist

cheryl8
09-06-2008, 06:07 AM
How did you choose an orthodontist? Someone on your insurance? Someone close to home? Referral from a friend or family member? Certain philosophy?

Ex took the kids to an orthodontist in the town where he lives when they went to visit last time. He concluded that DS11 needs an expander and braces for 2 1/2 - 3 years and the DS9 needs a full set for 12 - 18 months.

First, I'm not driving to another city once a month for a 15 minute appointment so they can miss half a day of school, and me half a day of work.

Secondly, there is a certain study or branch of orthodontia that works well with my philosophy and I went onto the web site to find someone local. It sounds funny, but I probably would have driven a long way to this type of orthodontist each month.

I started looking around and found a guy here in my area that has been certified in this technique for several years and he is covered on the insurance.

When we went in, his conclusion was that DS11 needs bigger brackets, with bigger wires to make more movement. We don't need an expander, he just needs to reshape the top teeth and put regular braces on the bottom. DS9 isn't ready for braces, he needs a small appliance to hold his back two molars on the top in place so they will allow the ones in front to come in. He may need braces for 6 - 9 months later.

So, I know which one I'm going with. How did you guys decide?

C

Willow
09-06-2008, 06:10 AM
I haven't had to go through that with my kids as they didn't need braces but if they had I probably would have gotten a recommendation from their dentist.

BeanieLuvR
09-06-2008, 06:19 AM
We went to the local one that our dentist recommended. He did a great job for our DD. She had a lot of problems that had to be corrected. I don't blame you for not taking your kids to the one the next town over. That would have added up to a few missed days of school and work for you. The best part is you found one that did the kind of treatment that you wanted.