PDA

View Full Version : Housework help

buglebe
09-05-2008, 09:03 PM
I finally advertised on freecycle cafe looking for someone to do housework for me. I only had 2 serious answers. One told me she would work 5-6 hrs for $250. I said how much do you get an hour and she said $30-$50 an hour. The other girl wasn't interested when I told her I could only pay $15 an hour. How much do people get for doing housework in your town? If you can find someone? I can call the housekeeping services but that's not the kind of work I want. They come in and do certain things, like change sheets, vacuum etc. What I want done is different from that. I want someone to help me declutter so that cleaning will be so much easier. I have fibromyalgia and sometimes I can barely walk and I need to make things easier for myself. Where are all the people who are supposedly looking for work? Does welfare pay more than $15 an hour? If it does maybe that is why no one is interested but I don't understand at all. I live in a "good" section of town so it's not like it would be scary or unsafe to come to my part of town. I'm not stupid enough to think there is anywhere that is completely safe and felt I was also taking a chance looking on freecycle. But I desperately want this work done. I guess I will be doing it but I was hoping to get it done quickly instead of it taking as long as it is going to take me at my slow pace. Am I being unrealistic thinking $15 an hour was enough? How much should I offer? My dil is a new RN and she makes about $30 an hour maybe. I know she doesn't make more. And she went to school for 4 yrs.

tarbabie
09-05-2008, 09:09 PM
I finally advertised on freecycle cafe looking for someone to do housework for me. I only had 2 serious answers. One told me she would work 5-6 hrs for $250. I said how much do you get an hour and she said $30-$50 an hour. The other girl wasn't interested when I told her I could only pay $15 an hour. How much do people get for doing housework in your town? If you can find someone? I can call the housekeeping services but that's not the kind of work I want. They come in and do certain things, like change sheets, vacuum etc. What I want done is different from that. I want someone to help me declutter so that cleaning will be so much easier. I have fibromyalgia and sometimes I can barely walk and I need to make things easier for myself. Where are all the people who are supposedly looking for work? Does welfare pay more than $15 an hour? If it does maybe that is why no one is interested but I don't understand at all. I live in a "good" section of town so it's not like it would be scary or unsafe to come to my part of town. I'm not stupid enough to think there is anywhere that is completely safe and felt I was also taking a chance looking on freecycle. But I desperately want this work done. I guess I will be doing it but I was hoping to get it done quickly instead of it taking as long as it is going to take me at my slow pace. Am I being unrealistic thinking $15 an hour was enough? How much should I offer? My dil is a new RN and she makes about $30 an hour maybe. I know she doesn't make more. And she went to school for 4 yrs.

Maybe a teenager would be willing? Wish I were closer- I wouldn't mind helping ya...for 15.00 an hour? I know kids here that would bang down your door....you might check with a local High school?

Hetty
09-05-2008, 09:10 PM
my mom does housework(sheets dust and loads dishwasherand pees the dog)for her neighbor and only charges 50 a week so yeah I think 30 an hour is a lil much.

ilovecats
09-05-2008, 09:16 PM
I agree,way too much.I wished you lived closer,I'd be happy with $5 or $10.

buckandkel
09-05-2008, 09:30 PM
Try Craigslist, I found a great housekeeper on there for cheap! The idea for a teenager is good also, they wouldn't turn down 250.00!

snaeger07
09-05-2008, 09:37 PM
I'd do it ;)

Kimberly61
09-05-2008, 09:43 PM
wow! that just leaves me speechless lol...$30.00 an hour for house cleaning???? Are they totally out of their mind lol.......I clean house 2 days a week for a friend of the family who has ms and has had several strokes, I work 6 hours a week, sometimes more if she ask me to do little extra things and I only get $7.00 an hour, maybe I am underpayed, which I am sure that I am but I really dont mind because I do it out of the kindness of my heart to be helping someone that really needs it, and I do A LOT for this woman too. I am currently looking for a different job and I thought of starting up a housecleaning team with me and my niece and I had no idea what to charge so I havent yet but I would be so embarressed to even ask someone to pay me $30.00 an hour....$15.00 is a very fair amount to offer and as someone else posted you should speak to the local highschool counselor and see if that is something that she can help you with because there is a lot of kids that cant find a after school job and a teen age girl would probably love the opportunity to make that extra money.

DBackFan
09-06-2008, 07:03 AM
First off Freecycle is to keep things out of landfills and I am surprised they let you post that. Craigslist is the place you want to post that and you will probably get a better response and for a lot less money. Good luck!

Willow
09-06-2008, 07:19 AM
First off Freecycle is to keep things out of landfills and I am surprised they let you post that. Craigslist is the place you want to post that and you will probably get a better response and for a lot less money. Good luck!

I was surprised by that too. Our freecycle group doesn't allow solicitation of services either. We have Merry Maids in our area. They go out to your home and give you an estimate once you tell them what you want done. Some of the things they factor in is the size of your home, how many people live in the home, how many pets you have and things like that. They also have a once a week service. I knew someone that had that and I think it cost her about $60 a week. The maids bring all of their own cleaning supplies.

cpbaby
09-06-2008, 09:23 AM
I finally advertised on freecycle cafe looking for someone to do housework for me. I only had 2 serious answers.

I think that the key words here are "FREECYCLE CAFE". We have a normal Freecycle, but we also have an offshoot where you can posted Help Wanteds and so forth.

Buglebe, that is the most horrible thing I have heard in awhile. $15 to clean? I could take two weeks off from my regular job UNPAID and still come out ahead by $4 an hour. I would put a sheet up on the board at the grocery store saying DEEP CLEANING HELP WANTED, $7 AN HOUR(or whatever minimum wage is in your state), PLUS ANY OF THE DISCARDED CRAP YOU WANT. I know lots of people that would help you for the crap they could pack off, alone.

Renrut
09-06-2008, 09:25 AM
I used to charge $15.00 a hour and 2 hr minimum when I had my business. I called around to check prices and I was the cheapest. If I was closer, I would come help ya out.

cabby92
09-06-2008, 10:41 AM
The kind of people that are on our Freecycle are only looking for free rides. The wants out number the gives by like 50 to 1. They post looking for things you can get cheap at KMart. I don't think there's one of them that would take a decent paying job over grubbing for freebies. Try looking somewhere with a different kind of people and you may have better luck.

Our elemenatary school secretary hooked me up with a couple of SAHMs that were glad to have some part time work when I needed it. Someone like that might be able to steer you toward the right person.

Renrut
09-06-2008, 11:21 AM
Did you try Craig's List?

buglebe
09-06-2008, 12:30 PM
Thank you for all the replies. Yes it was free cycle cafe and that is different but you did give me some good ideas. We don't live that far from the highschool so I might check there after I check with craigs list. I thought $15 an hour was fair. I think how much to pay depends on where you live. Yes I was shocked at the one who wanted $250 for 5-6 hours. I would much prefer to be able to do it myself but I can't. There is only so much I can do in a day, due to health issues. Yes I feel lazy and guilty and that is a whole nother story. Thanks to all of you who answered.

Lild
09-06-2008, 12:38 PM
Holy Crap!!! The most I would pay is 10$ an hour for someone to clean my house!
I hope you find someone who doesn't take advantage of you.