PDA

View Full Version : Apfelwein

ElleGee
09-04-2008, 10:13 AM
The dh and I mixed up our first batch of Apfelwein (German hard cider)

This was so easy to do but takes a long time to be ready (about 2-2 1/2 months)

We put 4 and a half gallons of apple juice, wine yeast and corn sugar into a carboy (big glass jug thing)

And now it's bubbling nicely.. If this works I am going to bottle some as New Years eve gifts b/c by the time I make another batch it won't be ready for Xmas (or Yule).

I am pretty excited about it :) (is this enough shiz in parentheses?)

ahippiechic
09-04-2008, 11:35 AM
Sounds good. I DH and I going to do some Mead soon.

sheila_361
09-04-2008, 01:36 PM
My mom she used to drink Apfelwein and Seltzer water all the time..

ElleGee
09-04-2008, 06:03 PM
We are making scotch ale right now.... this is going to take a while and I may need the frying pan :getyou

msmom79
09-04-2008, 06:14 PM
i have never heard of it-let us know how it turns out-i do know about that moonshine though-that stuff will rip your throat out! my ex;s friend used to make it,and i wanted to try it-thought nothing could be that bad till it burnt like hell and left blisters in my mouth and throat,and alls i did was take a very small sip- i dont know how them old timers drank that stuff-they must have ben made from steel!!!!

Willow
09-04-2008, 06:15 PM
My mother used to make homemade rootbeer when I was little. I remember having to wait for what seemed like forever before we could drink it.

Thawn
09-04-2008, 06:20 PM
Sounds good. Good luck. Please let us know how it turns out.

ElleGee
10-17-2008, 05:42 PM
Our apfelwein is ready and it tastes like chardonnay lol exactly like chardonnay hahahaha

Odd for a hard cider but eh...it's really good stuff!!!!

We have a bottle out of the carboy and in the fridge right now and after I pick up my son from work we are hittin' it :)

so now with our new keg system and making this stuff I want my bar built yesterday arrgghhh lol