PDA

View Full Version : Well I had jury duty today...

sunflowers
09-02-2008, 02:28 PM
And of the 300 people that showed up.......I was 1 in the 2 groups of 6 that got freakin picked....

Cant discuss what type of case but put it this way, it is a case that you would not want to sit on!

took 8 hrs for them to decide the jury...and I was only asked one question who doesnt drink and I raised my hand!

Trial starts tomorrow!:getyou :getyou :getyou :getyou

Lild
09-02-2008, 02:47 PM
Well, I know it sucks, but I wanna know about it after it's done!! You have to give us all the info on it....

buglebe
09-02-2008, 03:03 PM
I am so sorry. Everyone should have to / get to serve on jury duty at least once. It sure makes you think about how vulnerable we are if we get into trouble with the law. But I am so sorry you got a case like this. At least you aren't sequestered. Maybe it will go quickly. Have they told you how long the case should last? Good luck and try to enjoy it.

dangerousfem
09-02-2008, 03:07 PM
oh no.. sorry :hug

tarbabie
09-02-2008, 03:08 PM
Wow! lucky you! Look on the bright side- you won't be bored, right?

meltodd69
09-02-2008, 03:20 PM
I learned to never raise my hand lol. It seems to others that I am volunteering. I agree we need details when its over! Try to make the best of it.

cathych
09-02-2008, 07:53 PM
I have found that the jury picking is a colossal waste of time. yes, I know that ppl are going to say that this is the American way blah blah blah and I know that, but surely there is some better way than they have now.

buglebe
09-02-2008, 08:02 PM
It is such a waste of time and money. Think about all those people there just sitting around waiting to see if they will be picked. And of course a huge waste of the judge's time also. You know a better system could be devised.

littlered1
09-02-2008, 09:00 PM
I don't understand why people don't like to do this... I would love for jury duty to be my regular everyday job.

msmom79
09-02-2008, 09:40 PM
i did jury duty 2 years ago-i got picked for the trial,the girl next to me was laughing at me,cause i got picked,and then they picked her,so i was laughing at her-anyways it was very interesting to serve. my case was about a wife shooting her husband,he lived but has terrible scars on his head-thing is we found her not guilty,cause there was just no proof she did it-no gun powder on her or her clothes-no blood on her or her clothes,nothing fit this crime.and the prosecutor wanted her convicted-but it just wasnt there- i learnt alot from this,i also think everyone should have to do a trail,you then understand more about crimes,police,victims,dna,weapons,and how the courts work. i think after this trial is done-you will be proud of yourself and all the other jurors that will be with you.you have to learn to work together to figure it all out,even the discussions that you will have ,at the end are interesting-you will enjoy doing this,i hope.let us know what happens

JKATHERINE
09-03-2008, 03:43 AM
I don't understand why people don't like to do this... I would love for jury duty to be my regular everyday job.

Would you still feel that way if you only got paid $10 a day? The ONLY reason why I don't want to have to serve on a jury is the financial implications it presents for my family. We CANNOT afford for me to only make $10 a day. Otherwise, it seems very interesting and I think I'd enjoy it. I'd love to know more about the legal process.

atprm
09-03-2008, 05:07 AM
I would love to do jury duty -- I think it would be interesting -- but then again, I like "the workings of the courtroom".

I have never been called though. :(

tngirl
09-03-2008, 05:16 AM
I would love to do jury duty. But, financially I can't. Jury duty would put a financial strain on my household and also that of my employer because I am an asset to the company. I basically pay them to work for them, so, if I am not working they are losing money.

sunflowers
09-03-2008, 05:38 AM
Well I am off to court for round 1 of the case!

I get pd a whopping $15 a day.

Yesterday I was there 8 hrs so thats less than $2 an hr
It should be at least min wage.

My back is killing me from sitting so long in those hard a$$ chairs and then a bench.
At least today I get the captains chairs!!!

WVCindy
09-03-2008, 05:49 AM
Some companies pay their employees to serve on the jury....I worked at Krogers when I was served and my union said they had to pay me also. I made $15.00 a day plus mileage and trust me they paid me more in mileage! I really enjoyed the process....the laws suck for innocent people and the criminals have it made. IMO

Kayla
09-03-2008, 11:34 AM
Yes- you should definitely get compensated.

I had jury duty for the first time last year... I was really excited to be part of the process but I ended up just waiting in a room all day until they dismissed us. It would have been cool to at least go in a courtroom for a little bit and be part of a case.

I hope you have a more interesting time than I did!

flute
09-03-2008, 02:20 PM
We CANNOT afford for me to only make $10 a day.

If my husband had to seve jury duty & take 1 day off of work we'd be hurting a lot. Let alone a whole trial.

Other than that I can go in his place LOL (to the trial not to his job cus he works with psycho people)

evrita
09-03-2008, 03:06 PM
Sunflowers what do you normally do for work? Did this cause you a hardship for missing out on work? I know when I was called up for Jury duty I lost 3 days pay and it was well over 300.00 I missed out on not to mention what I paid for the meter for parking and gas everyday for driving the 60 miles round trip. That was 2 years ago I certainly couldnt do it now.

sunflowers
09-03-2008, 03:44 PM
Sunflowers what do you normally do for work? Did this cause you a hardship for missing out on work? I know when I was called up for Jury duty I lost 3 days pay and it was well over 300.00 I missed out on not to mention what I paid for the meter for parking and gas everyday for driving the 60 miles round trip. That was 2 years ago I certainly couldnt do it now.

I am Fortunate to not have to work! I guess you could say homemaker/stay at home mom..Lucky for me the courthouse is about 10 miles away, and there are no meters....

The state rested today so hopefully it will be over tomorrow...