PDA

View Full Version : wedding dress

buglebe
08-31-2008, 09:19 AM
Can you still fit into your wedding dress? Do you still have it? How long have you been married? What were you married in? Where was the wedding?

I was married in a beautiful traditional wedding gown with long lace sleeves,
my mother was a beautiful seamstress and she made it. I think it was and still is the prettiest dress I have ever seen or had. I love traditional white wedding dresses but I wouldn't be opposed to getting married in any other type clothing if it fit my husband and my personalities. I was married years and years ago, 1963. I was 18 yrs old and my husband was 20. I was 5' 7" and I weighed 125 lbs and I thought I was fat. Can you believe that? My sister was 5' 6" and weighed 98 lbs so I guess that is why. My husband and I didn't meet each other until highschool although we lived in a small town and went to the same church. I did know him as one of the boys who hung out under the tree and made me feel self conscious going into church. We were the first couple who both belonged to the same church that the minister married. It was a very old Episcopal church. It still stands and is a beautiful church.
I kept my wedding dress for years. I hoped one of my girls would want to get married in it but one of them is 6 ft tall and the other isn't married. The dress had a stain on the lowest part of the train where my dad's bourbon leaked on it in the trunk of the car after the wedding. My mom was so mad, yet I treasured it even more because of that. I don't know why. Daddy didn't have a problem with drinking so guess it just made the ceremony and party that much more special.
While trying to do a bare bone cleaning one time I very stupidly threw it away. We just can't keep everything but I have regretted it almost from the moment I did it.
No I can't even begin to get in my wedding dress today. I weigh 300 lbs. And believe me I hate that as much as I loved my wedding and my dress.
Oh one last thing, my mom planned my wedding. I guess it was the wedding she never had. All I did was be the character in the play.

msmom79
08-31-2008, 09:52 AM
WELL,IF I STILL HAD MINE,IT WOULD FALL OFF OF ME,AS I WAS 7 MONTHS PREGNANT WHEN I GOT MARRIED.ALOT HAS HAPPENED SINCE THEN-I WEIGHED IN AT PROBALLY 185 WHEN I GOT MARRIED,AND NOW I HAVE WEIGHED 110-114 FOR ABOUT 20 YEARS-SO NO IT WOULDNT FIT.:2in1:

meltodd69
08-31-2008, 09:55 AM
Sounds like it was beautiful.
I have been married to my best friend for almost 14yrs. We didn't have a big wedding(I'm to cheap for that lol). We had the preacher come to the house and married us in the living room in Houston Texas. I wore a beautiful pink dress(I still have and can fit into it) and DH wore Black Jeans, white shirt and tie and cowboy boots, of course he hasn't gained one ounce.
We had a huge party after though. Had that in the back yard. There was so much food (ribs, brisket, roasts anything we could fit on the big ole grill. I made the cakes myself. And also I made all the flowers, decorations and hand wrote all the invits. DH's friend was in a band and they came and played for the reception for next to nothing. We lived right off of I-59 in Houston, people were pulling off and coming on in that no-one even knew. That was in 1994 when Houston had the big flood. It was nice because it starting raining the next morning and washed much of the mess away lol.
DH was my sister's neighbor. I went to visit my sister and met him. Some say there is no such thing as love at first site, but I disagree! He is still to this day the most attractive, loving, intelligent, giving man I have ever known. He is the greatest step-dad to our son too.
This Man saved my life when I met him. I had just buried two of my sons and I know alcohol doesn't fix a thing, but it helped me forget at the time. I stopped drinking and haven't really drank in all these years. Now when and if I have a drink it is to celebrate not to forget.
I owe him my life. And could never do enough to repay him.

sheila_361
08-31-2008, 10:24 AM
I still have my dress it would still fit me now, tomorrow we'll be celebrating our first Anniversary. We met online 4 years ago, lived together for 3 1/2 years before getting married, it was love at first sight. After 2 mentally abusive marriages, I have finally found my "Mr. Right", he treats me so wonderfully and takes good care of me.

Sweetberries
08-31-2008, 10:30 AM
I had a beautiful white wedding dress :) wish I had it here so I could take a pic of it :) but my mom has it
I have been married for 8 yrs 8 months coming up on my 9th year Dec the 5th we were married in my dads church
my dad walked me down the isle and married us too
not really sure if I can still fit into my wedding dress

Lild
08-31-2008, 10:34 AM
My mother n law made my wedding dress, I found the pattern I wanted and she made it happen, it was beautiful.
My dress was in her downstairs closet when Katrina hit, it had mildew and muck all over it...she had it dry cleaned and even cleaned it herself....finally it was clean.... I have it here now

April78945
08-31-2008, 10:45 AM
Can you still fit into your wedding dress? Do you still have it? How long have you been married? What were you married in? Where was the wedding?

Yes I can. Yes I do. Almost 8 years, seperated for 6 months. I actually wore a simple black dress (I was fighting with my mom and knew this would piss her off) and we were married at the town hall on Thanksgiving at 4pm by some irish guy.
No flowers, no rings, no reception..nothing. Should have been a sign.

galeane29
08-31-2008, 10:59 AM
I do still have my wedding dress from my 1st marriage, I doubt I'd ever fit in it again. I was 17 and 115 lbs. My second wedding was at the town hall and I wore black jeans and a blouse, yes I still have them.

April78945
08-31-2008, 11:43 AM
^ great minds with the black and the town hall LOL
Guess two Aprils are kinda the same

evrita
08-31-2008, 04:48 PM
Yes I still have mine and I can still fit into it. MIne is a simple off white dress with a lace front can double as a dress to wear out on a night on the town. I will be married 15 years this Novemeber

Willow
09-01-2008, 06:18 AM
I do still have my wedding dress from my 1st marriage, I doubt I'd ever fit in it again. I was 17 and 115 lbs. My second wedding was at the town hall and I wore black jeans and a blouse, yes I still have them.

We also got married at the town hall. I never wanted a traditional wedding. We both wore blue jeans and black dress shirts. My jeans had a black flower design going down the front of one leg. I wore a black button down blouse with it. We were married in the Mayor's office. lol It was just the two of us. They no longer require you to have witnesses.

CLARKS4
09-01-2008, 06:44 AM
I still have my dress it was a white gown nothing fancy just simple like our little wedding. We had it at the church that we were attending at the time. No, I cant fit in it now. I have gained to much weight. Love will do that to you though. LOL We have been married for 12 wonderful short years.

buglebe
09-02-2008, 08:16 AM
Sounds like it was beautiful.
I have been married to my best friend for almost 14yrs. We didn't have a big wedding(I'm to cheap for that lol). We had the preacher come to the house and married us in the living room in Houston Texas. I wore a beautiful pink dress(I still have and can fit into it) and DH wore Black Jeans, white shirt and tie and cowboy boots, of course he hasn't gained one ounce.
We had a huge party after though. Had that in the back yard. There was so much food (ribs, brisket, roasts anything we could fit on the big ole grill. I made the cakes myself. And also I made all the flowers, decorations and hand wrote all the invits. DH's friend was in a band and they came and played for the reception for next to nothing. We lived right off of I-59 in Houston, people were pulling off and coming on in that no-one even knew. That was in 1994 when Houston had the big flood. It was nice because it starting raining the next morning and washed much of the mess away lol.
DH was my sister's neighbor. I went to visit my sister and met him. Some say there is no such thing as love at first site, but I disagree! He is still to this day the most attractive, loving, intelligent, giving man I have ever known. He is the greatest step-dad to our son too.
This Man saved my life when I met him. I had just buried two of my sons and I know alcohol doesn't fix a thing, but it helped me forget at the time. I stopped drinking and haven't really drank in all these years. Now when and if I have a drink it is to celebrate not to forget.
I owe him my life. And could never do enough to repay him.

Beautiful story. I would love to hear more like this. I'm sure others have stories like this.

Kimberly61
09-02-2008, 09:37 AM
I still have my wedding dress hanging in my closet where it will always be no matter where we move....I have had it for a little over 17 years.....I just turned 18 when we got married so no it will not fit anymore lol.....we got married on a shoestring but I had a beautiful white traditional wedding dress that my dad bought me and my step mom altered.......we got married in Chandler Arizona and all our family(besides my dad and his wife) lived back in Michigan so only a select few were able to make it to the wedding...we had a small reception behind the church, just for cake and opening of presents and things, no dancing or partying.....I told dh that I would love to get re-married on our 20th anniversary and invite all of our families and have a real reception but he's not going for it, yet lol Most everyone in both of our families didnt think it would last because we were so young but here we are 17 years later and still very in love and still best friends:)

tarbabie
09-02-2008, 10:41 AM
I didn't have the wedding dress- got married at the local JP in Lebanon OH- then we went to Krogers and got a faygo to share. Then we went back home- days later my parents found out and hit the ROOF! Luckily I was already 18 and they couldn't do anything about it- not that they didn 't try! He and I were both wearing Jeans... the dress would not fit me today even if I had one- I have been heavy all my life. I can proudly say that 26 years later we are still happy (for the most part) and still married...he's my soul mate...

Who else would put up with 3 cats and 3 kids and my depression issues? LOL!