PDA

View Full Version : pomegranate juice

Sweetberries
08-18-2008, 10:10 PM
Just wondering if anyone here drinks it?
I just started drinking it about a week ago it's a pretty strong taste but you get used to it they say you should drink a glass of it everyday

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/03/0322_050322_pomegranates.html

Heidi
08-18-2008, 10:11 PM
I haven't tried it, but my MIL did and she is apparently allergic to it, because she broke out in a rash from head to toe. Kind of funny in a mean DIL sort of way!

Sweetberries
08-18-2008, 10:13 PM
I haven't tried it, but my MIL did and she is apparently allergic to it, because she broke out in a rash from head to toe. Kind of funny in a mean DIL sort of way!

wow !
that sucks :( but I know what you mean by the DIL thing believe me I do lol

Renrut
08-18-2008, 10:39 PM
No, what does it taste like?

speedygirl
08-18-2008, 10:44 PM
I drink POM regularly. I love the taste. It's a little tart and sweet at the same time. I like to mix it with seltzer water. I wish it wasn't so expensive. A small single serve bottle is like $3.99. I joined Club POM and I get cents off coupons and sometimes a coupon for a free bottle.

http://www.pomwonderful.com/clubpom.html

Sweetberries
08-18-2008, 11:49 PM
I drink the Northland Naturals I think it $2 or 3 dollars for a 64 oz
I have actually seen it cost $11 that's the most expensive I have ever seen it

wobblypops
08-19-2008, 04:15 AM
I've tried it & I like it but I very rarely drink any juice unless I am sick.

Char
08-19-2008, 05:10 AM
Real pomegranate juice is one of the best things you can drink, packed full of natural antioxidants. It even fights hardening of the arteries and many cancers.

Willow
08-19-2008, 05:24 AM
I've heard it's good but haven't tried it. I have eaten pomegranates before but haven't tried the plain juice. I can't drink any juices for a while now because I have gestational diabetes and was told no juices of any kind. lol

jansday23
08-19-2008, 05:56 AM
Real pomegranate juice is one of the best things you can drink, packed full of natural antioxidants. It even fights hardening of the arteries and many cancers.

This may seem like a really dumb question, but can you get too many antioxidants? I mean they are in EVERYTHING!! And how much do
you need?
How much oxidation are we fighting off here???

I try to eat/drink more nutritionally and organic if possible. But:dontknow:

Lild
08-19-2008, 06:17 AM
I drink Pom...it's really good.

galeane29
08-19-2008, 06:21 AM
I have had POM but rarely buy it , its expensive.

sheila_361
08-19-2008, 07:53 AM
We drink it, but usually with like blueberry juice mixed in

dinosmom
08-19-2008, 08:14 AM
Do pomegranate margaritas count???? LOL

I dont drink much juice unless its fresh squeezed. The store bought juice has waaaay too much sugar!!!

diana_circe
08-19-2008, 08:57 AM

I dont drink much juice unless its fresh squeezed. The store bought juice has waaaay too much sugar!!!

Yes, yes they do :lol

Char
08-19-2008, 10:13 AM
This may seem like a really dumb question, but can you get too many antioxidants? I mean they are in EVERYTHING!! And how much do
you need?
How much oxidation are we fighting off here???

I try to eat/drink more nutritionally and organic if possible. But:dontknow:

Thing is, all antioxidants are not created equal. The pomegranate has 'things' (nutrients) that are only found in the pomegranate. Same with grapes, grapes have some properties that are only found in grapes. The ideal is to find a balance, and get as many different properties as possible... in a perfect world. And yes, you can get too much of any antioxidant... like, vitamin C can give you severe diarrhea if you overdo it. The natural fruits (grapes, pomegranates etc...) have certain enzymes and phytonutrients... they are considered 'super foods'. I personally take green tea extract everyday, Omega 3-6-9, and cinnamon.

I am no expert, but, I used to be really into all this stuff... not as bad now, but, there are a few things I just have to take...lol

I would love to have some 'real' pomegranate juice, at least three times a week... but, it's hard to find, and expensive. The commercial ones have way too much sugar, and are diluted. You will still get some benefit, but, not near what you get from the real thing.

ElleGee
08-19-2008, 11:34 AM
I drink POM regularly.

I drink POM as well but I am addicted to the pomegranate cherry.. *drool

LunaChick
08-19-2008, 02:27 PM
We drink it, but usually with like blueberry juice mixed in

I like mine with cherry. The Nantucket juice has a really good one.

Sweetberries
08-19-2008, 02:41 PM
I drink POM as well but I am addicted to the pomegranate cherry.. *drool

I love the cherry
yum yum

catdance
08-19-2008, 04:13 PM
I drink this daily..can't hurt!

jansday23
08-20-2008, 05:49 AM
Thing is, all antioxidants are not created equal. The pomegranate has 'things' (nutrients) that are only found in the pomegranate. Same with grapes, grapes have some properties that are only found in grapes. The ideal is to find a balance, and get as many different properties as possible... in a perfect world. And yes, you can get too much of any antioxidant... like, vitamin C can give you severe diarrhea if you overdo it. The natural fruits (grapes, pomegranates etc...) have certain enzymes and phytonutrients... they are considered 'super foods'. I personally take green tea extract everyday, Omega 3-6-9, and cinnamon.

I am no expert, but, I used to be really into all this stuff... not as bad now, but, there are a few things I just have to take...lol

I would love to have some 'real' pomegranate juice, at least three times a week... but, it's hard to find, and expensive. The commercial ones have way too much sugar, and are diluted. You will still get some benefit, but, not near what you get from the real thing.

Thank you Char!!! You're a sweetie. I am that way with cranberry concentrate (for uti). You mix 1 part of the concentrate with 5 parts water. O M G, that stuff is so sour! But it does the trick for UTI. I am a bit of a health guru myself and have been getting into homeopathic remedies and constitutional prescribing for things. Cell salts, etc.
And seaweed extract for weight loss.

Char
08-21-2008, 06:35 AM
Thank you Char!!! You're a sweetie. I am that way with cranberry concentrate (for uti). You mix 1 part of the concentrate with 5 parts water. O M G, that stuff is so sour! But it does the trick for UTI. I am a bit of a health guru myself and have been getting into homeopathic remedies and constitutional prescribing for things. Cell salts, etc.
And seaweed extract for weight loss.

You are very welcome !

You might want to check into the newest, best things for you... it can actually prevent diabetes, or, if you already have it, it can cut your need for meds in half ! In fact, if you are on meds, you MUST tell your doctor when you start taking PGX fiber, because it will, for sure, cut your need for meds, and they would need to be adjusted.

I am not diabetic, but, a doctor 'turned me onto it'... I didn't know it existed ! I take two caps 5 to 10 minutes before a meal. (they suggest 2 to 4 caps) It is a fiber, so, it's good for you anyway...

Just one story:

Fiber is helping turn Ed Graf's health around, too. He's a diabetic, who had to take huge amounts of insulin.

He was in a terrible state. His sugars were still way out of control and he was going into heart failure. His triglycerides were so high it was almost lethal," Dr. Michael Lyon of the Canadian Center for Functional Medicine said.

Both Alethea and Ed were helped by a special fiber combination primarily taken from the root of an Asian plant called konjac. It's called PGX, or polyglycoplex.

Most dietary fiber comes from fruits and vegetables, grains, and beans. Oatmeal has quite a bit and some pasta even has extra fiber added.

Getting lots of fiber helps fight heart disease, diabetes, weight-gain, and perhaps even Alzheimer's. And don't forget that it keeps you regular.

The benefits of fiber have lead doctors to suggest people should consume an ounce a day, about 30 grams. The best bet might be twice that much: two ounces, roughly 60 grams.

But there is only a little fiber in most foods. Even high fiber foods contain only a few grams per serving.

To get enough, consumers often turn to products like Metabolic Modulator or Ultimate Fiber or the well-known Metamucil.

But currently, PGX appears to be the most powerful fiber in the world. Why? It attracts water like crazy -- 200 times its own weight.

So with just half an ounce "you can add about six pounds of food volume to your diet without adding any additional calories," Lyon said. "So you can well imagine six pounds of food would be a lot of fullness in your stomach, and it's easy to eat a lot less."

That's how Boire and her husband Tyson found success. They took about a third of an ounce of PGX each from meal replacements for breakfast and lunch. For dinner they had a regular meal.

"We changed some of our portions. Rather than having a huge plate of pasta, we'd have a little bit of pasta and chicken breast and some broccoli and salad. So still eating lots, and then of course every two weeks weighing ourselves and seeing the scale go down," she said.

And the couple did lose significant weight - fat, not muscle.

"He ended up losing about 50 pounds in about six months," Alison said of her husband. Alison herself lost 40 pounds.

Dietitian Veronica Kacinik helped the Boires understand that success against hunger gone awry is a combination of eating strategies.

"Like eating high volume foods, adding PGX to your diet, eating every four hours, having snacks between meals. You can control that and thereby not overeat at your next meal," Kacinik said.

And Lyon considers it the only safe therapy for reducing appetite among the growing numbers of obese children.

"Because it really is just a dietary fiber supplement, it's perfectly safe to give to kids," he said. "In my experience, the effectiveness in kids is quite dramatic. Kids respond to it very, very well."

There's another benefit to PGX besides the sheer volume.

"It also creates a situation where it mixes with food and it creates a very thick sort of gel so the food doesn't digest as quickly and blood sugar doesn't surge after your meals. Blood sugar tends to rise more slowly and not as high," Lyon said.

With blood sugar off the roller coaster, your body sends fewer signals to your brain that you need to eat.

Lyon said, "But when your brain is telling you to eat and to just lie still, it's hard to fight against your own brain. What we find with PGX is - at most - within a few weeks their brain is back on their side again."

And that balanced blood sugar is just what the doctor ordered for diabetics like Graf. He had been facing heart problems, sleep disturbances and an inflamed pancreas.

"I can live a more normal, lifestyle. A better energy level, I'll live longer. And actually it's less cost to society really," Graf said.

Since he started taking the special fiber, he's been able to reduce his insulin dosage dramatically.

"He's just more like his old self," said his wife Teresa. "He's so much healthier; I'm not worrying about him all the time."

So PGX has the potential to extend the lives of millions of diabetics and save millions of dollars in insulin alone.

Lyon says it's important for everyone to consume a variety of fiber sources - even as scientists suspect there are additional benefits yet to be discovered.

Almost everybody needs more fiber in their diets. So whether it's the pectin in an apple or a specialty fiber product, fiber is a key to good health.

PGX Daily - Will change your life, even if you don't!

What to expect from PGX Daily:

Controls and balances blood sugar levels
Lowers the glycemic index of meals by up to 50%
Supports healthy weight loss for life
Promotes satiety and reduces food cravings
Lowers cholesterol and triglyceride levels
Contains no stimulents

Sweet stuff, eh ?! I have found the BEST place online to buy it... I have bought it three places, and, finally found the EXACT product for the BEST price ! (At least until Puritan's Pride finally gets it...lol)
If you want the info, just PM me here at BBF...

Surfergal
08-21-2008, 06:50 AM
You are very welcome !

You might want to check into the newest, best things for you... PGX fiber,
... a special fiber combination primarily taken from the root of an Asian plant called konjac. It's called PGX, or polyglycoplex....

hmmm, was just researchng that - here is what I found on the Dr. Weil site:

The main component of the konjac root is glucomannan, a water-soluble dietary fiber consisting of mannose and glucose sugars. It has not been extensively studied in the West, but results of one eight-week trial published in the International Journal of Obesity in 1984 suggested that supplements containing glucomannan fiber might aid in weight loss. More recent studies, including two published in the Journal of the American College of Nutrition (one in October 2002 and another in February 2003) suggest that glucomannan can help reduce cholesterol. The second study was conducted among 22 patients with diabetes and found that a konjac glucomannan supplement reduced both glucose and cholesterol levels.

Konjac fiber and glucomannan supplements for weight loss are promoted on the Internet and elsewhere. Despite the findings of that 1984 study, I would be skeptical of the claims. You also should know that some countries, including Australia, have banned a number of weight-loss products containing glucomannan, which were found to cause choking when caught in the throat.

If you're interested in konjac fiber, try some of the traditional Japanese foods such as shirataki noodles or konnyaku. I've eaten them frequently in Japan and like their novel textures. You should be able to find them in Asian markets or you can order them online.

Andrew Weil, M.D.
http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/id/QAA288742

Char
08-21-2008, 07:13 AM
hmmm, was just researchng that - here is what I found on the Dr. Weil site:

The main component of the konjac root is glucomannan, a water-soluble dietary fiber consisting of mannose and glucose sugars. It has not been extensively studied in the West, but results of one eight-week trial published in the International Journal of Obesity in 1984 suggested that supplements containing glucomannan fiber might aid in weight loss. More recent studies, including two published in the Journal of the American College of Nutrition (one in October 2002 and another in February 2003) suggest that glucomannan can help reduce cholesterol. The second study was conducted among 22 patients with diabetes and found that a konjac glucomannan supplement reduced both glucose and cholesterol levels.

Konjac fiber and glucomannan supplements for weight loss are promoted on the Internet and elsewhere. Despite the findings of that 1984 study, I would be skeptical of the claims. You also should know that some countries, including Australia, have banned a number of weight-loss products containing glucomannan, which were found to cause choking when caught in the throat.

If you're interested in konjac fiber, try some of the traditional Japanese foods such as shirataki noodles or konnyaku. I've eaten them frequently in Japan and like their novel textures. You should be able to find them in Asian markets or you can order them online.

Andrew Weil, M.D.
http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/id/QAA288742

Yea, you can choke on any fiber if it gets caught in your throat, in fact, the 2 caps of PGX require you drink 8 oz. of water with it. I think every fiber tablet/caps comes with the 'possible choke' warning. If ever I feel one didn't go down, I just eat a cracker or potato chip or something to 'shove it down'...lol

I've taken some form of fiber for years and years... I think I have taking it down to an art form.:D

:D Ohayou gozaimasu...

Char
08-21-2008, 07:24 AM

Actually pomegranate margaritas would count ! In fact, a little alcohol very day is good for you too ! No matter where you get it... vodka, wine, even beer ! I'm talking one to two drinks a day... after that, it turns against ya.

jansday23
08-21-2008, 07:26 AM
Many of the supplements require a FULL 8 oz of water with taking. Many people don't realize this. My dh is one that DOES NOT drink the full amount of water. Just a gulp to get the pill down, and he is on his way.
But this stuff helps with weight loss, TOO? Love it. I am always dieting. My seaweed supplement requires 8 oz of water too. And I really could use more fiber. Especially this one. PM sent. :D