PDA

View Full Version : not sure how offended to be (

ladybugva
08-12-2008, 06:48 AM
We have a neighbor 2 houses over that has kids the age of my oldest 2. They know each other from Church where we do Wed night activities.

Any way my boys always go over there but the never come over here even though they are invited to. Maybe for a min or two. She is nice but seems like the type that always likes her kids to be right in front of her at all times. (For example they are 9 and 6 and I invited them to the oldest birthday. Said that she could stay and hang out or go home if she wanted to. She said she has never dropped her kids off at a b-day party and left). So I never bothered asking why they kids couldn't play here just offered for them to come over where ever. and figured if my boys were over there they weren't here. hee hee.

So yesterday her daughter is over and she is chatty. She tells me that she can't stay long b/c her mom says my house stinks and if she come home smelling like it her mom will be really mad. No offense she don't notice it mom just has a sensitive nose.

We don't have the cat in a lot (she has 3) and the litter box is outside, we don't smoke and while it's not perfect I do have candles and airfreshners in it. Called mom to ask (she would tell me) and she said no.
I know I have a mix of scents (different plug ins and candles)

oh well I'll just keep sending my kids to her house to be annoying ;)

dangerousfem
08-12-2008, 06:56 AM
oh wow.. not sure how I would react...

catssass
08-12-2008, 07:01 AM
Is it possible your house does have an odor? Do you have pets? Anyone smoke? Sometimes we get used to "our house" odors and we don't notice it. Maybe she is just sensitive to smells. Either way she should keep her opinions to herself and not be telling her kids & its no reason to keep children from playing with each other..

atprm
08-12-2008, 07:08 AM
I believe I would distance myself from that neighbor.

Imagine how much trouble that little girl is in because she said something?? :(

I feel sorry for her children.

ladybugva
08-12-2008, 07:14 AM
Is it possible your house does have an odor? Do you have pets? Anyone smoke?

I know that all houses have their own "smell" so I get that.
I accidently hit "post" before I was done so I went back and added more. We have a cat in some but his litter box is outside (she has 2 inside cats) and we don't smoke. (well DH does some but outside)

freeby4me
08-12-2008, 07:16 AM
Theres two things I can come up with. One, she's just rude or two, she has allergies and the smells from the air fresheners and plug-ins will irratate it? I dunno, I would be kind of offended though.

ahippiechic
08-12-2008, 07:23 AM
Maybe she just thinks the air fresheners you use stink. My friend uses some kind of vanilla/lavender ones and i think they really stink. Reminds me of a sweaty old lady, lol!

magenta
08-12-2008, 07:27 AM
I always have those glade plug-ins in and light scented candles. I spray lysol & air freshener. My DH will come home after work and say it stinks in here. He can't stand any of that stuff or hairspray smell or carpet fresh (the powder stuff). He doesn't have bad allergies or anything, just a sensitive nose. My step-mom can't handle those smells either, she gets headaches from them. So maybe it is something like that. I have asked my mom if it stinks in here too, she will say all I smell is your candles, etc. I do have a cat box in the house and a dog and I do smoke. My mom has none of those things, and she has told me before, if she smells cat or cig odor.

LuvBigRip
08-12-2008, 07:35 AM
I am very sensitive to smells and am allergic to most florals, I have a few friends whose houses I literally cannot go in to. My face gets all puffy and blotchy and I have a hard time breathing. However, I have told them why, and they understand.

ladybugva
08-12-2008, 07:42 AM
That's the only thing I can think of is maybe the plug ins. I can't do any thing strong b/c they give me a headache also so it's usually the "clean" scent or kitcheny (cinnamon...) I guess that could get in the kids clothes then. They are often only here for a few min and she has only be in my house twice since Oct.

PrincessArky
08-12-2008, 08:02 AM
I too would say its the different scents you have going on........I don't like those things because they are strong in one place and then dont smell them in another.........oh well least ya dont have to worry about having extra kids over messing up your house :)

dinosmom
08-12-2008, 09:08 AM
My DS has a friend whos parents like to be the center of attention and insist all of the kids play at their house. They have the pool, rec room, every video game imaginable etc etc. I say, more power to them.

Maybe the Mom just doesnt want her daughter to like to play at your house so she tells her that you stink. LOL

I use one scent in my house to keep from having clashing scents. I have a neighbor that has a diff scent for each room and it does get crazy. LOL But that is what she likes so I dont say anything.