PDA

View Full Version : cannot get online

whatever
08-11-2008, 06:10 PM
i am currently on my mils! last night all was fine. today i go to log on. NOthing.
i called the help line and they ran a few things its on line. so something in my puter is blocking access. i have ran every scan i have. i think its a coupon bar
i CANNOT remove. it won't let me. it also says other users are using it.
Gonna have to bite the bullet and take to the shop.

mosdata1
08-11-2008, 06:36 PM
Do you have windows XP, if you do they have something called "System restore" you can use this & go back to a date before you installed the coupon bar & it will restore your system back to how it was on that date.
If you go to help in Windows XP, it will give you directions

buglebe
08-11-2008, 07:37 PM
I had exactly the same problem. It took me all day to get on. I had to remove a virus protection program that I don't remember putting on it. Look at the list of all your programs and see if you can find any that you don't remember putting on. If you do and feel safe doing it , delete it.

Captiva
08-11-2008, 11:40 PM
You've probably already done this, but did you go into your control panel and go to add/remove programs? If the coupon bar is there delete it from there. If you see anything else that you don't recognize and think that it doesn't belong there
and you're sure it's not something you need, delete it too. Then I would clear TIF's and cookies and run a virus scan and see if you can get online then.

I hope you get it going.

whatever
08-13-2008, 07:57 AM
still on mil's puter! took it to the shop. He said you should NEVER download those coupon bars. they ALMOST always have spyware/adware attached to them!! :headshake
Boy i'm pissed. i tried everything the other day. I had 2 of them on my puter. got one to uninstall. avg kept saying it fixed the other one and then would do another scan and poof its right back!!:banghead:
I thought of the system restore, but i still needed that couponbar OUT of my puter. And i could NOT get rid of it myself. boy did i try!!:dontknow:

dangerousfem
08-13-2008, 10:04 AM
I download the coupon bars.. BUT.. I run anti spyware everyday..

you have to keep your comp clean and free of the spyware.. I would suggest a daily scan

whatever
08-14-2008, 12:19 PM
I"M back!!!! it turns out my winsock had gotten changed. He is not sure exactly how. he has a few ideas. He said its possible thru the coupon bar.
so EVEN with spyware (which avg already has with new version) It would NOT have made a difference. the hackers changed the winsock code in my puter.
ANd NO virus protection CAN detect when that happens. that is how tricky it is!

4diego
08-14-2008, 04:39 PM
Well I'm glad it's fixed and your up and running again!