PDA

View Full Version : Help with comcast

mesue
08-11-2008, 02:07 PM
I am thinking of going from Dish to comcast to get the hi-speed internet, since they are offering a good deal on the cable tv I am thinking of going with them on that as well.

All I get when I go to their website is a way to sign up online, but I want more info before I make a commitment, like what channels they offer, plus with dialup I have to wait forever for a video to load. So could someone please give me the link for the page for the channels so I can go to it instead of waiting two hours for a five minute video to load.

BTW if anyone has had both what is your take on which one is best and what is your biggest complaint about comcast or dish tv?

tngirl
08-11-2008, 02:18 PM
Internet is cool.

cable sucks.

Since Comcast took over from Time Warner in our area we continue to lose stations and that is with a price increase. One word of warning though, most of the CS's you call when you have a problem with your internet...suck.

We are thinking about going to Dish for our "cable".

tngirl
08-11-2008, 02:19 PM
https://www.comcast.com/Localization/Localize.ashx?Referer=/Customers/Clu/ChannelLineup.ashx&area=0

dinosmom
08-11-2008, 02:34 PM
I have Comcast for internet but DirecTv for satellite. Comcast cable sucks in my area.

mesue
08-11-2008, 02:36 PM
Thank you both, maybe I can decide if I can see what they offer. Hubby is wanting to keep Dish, but the dish alone is costing us around 73 dollars a month, that includes the cost of renting two receivers and their 250 package, for the first year since I am going from a satellite they are offering me both internet and cable with HBO, all for around 77.00 a month for the first year.

tngirl
08-11-2008, 02:39 PM
I pay around $100 a month for both and we have the package right above the basic...forget the number of channels. Even though about 100 of them are music stations and on demand stations. And the on demand stations never work right. It gets really irritating trying to watch a show on there because it nevers gives you enough time.

dinosmom
08-11-2008, 02:40 PM
Mesue-thats were they get you. The "introductory" price. After the first yr they will jack it up! Comcast is the worst for that.

mesue
08-11-2008, 02:51 PM
Yeah the guy told me that it would be around 111.00 a month for the same package, after the year was up. This would still be 252.00 cheaper a year, than keeping the dish and taking cable internet by itself since they charge a lot more if you only take the internet and not both. So if the channels are not all that different it would pay to go with the cable in the long run, plus I have the big savings the first year.

YankeeMary
08-11-2008, 02:54 PM
We have Comcast and to be honest they are HORRIBLE. I think it is fair to say that they have been out to our house at least 8 times in the last 3 months and are coming again tomorrow. My internet is constantly up and down. It is soooo aggravating. This is the first time all day that I have been able to get online. if you have other options, I suggest you do, as Comcast doesn't give a hoot about you. We are looking into AT&T cable/internet.

mesue
08-11-2008, 03:19 PM
I live out in the woods, no street light for 8 miles. The houses are too far apart for cable, but I got lucky some rich guy moved up the road from me and just had to have cable, so he paid to install the lines. The company that he called to install the lines would not come out except for so many feet, so they stopped at my house, my uncle and my Mom paid over 350.00 each, for it to be brought to their houses next door.

The lines from the telephone company are the old type and the new fiberoptic ones have not been installed. Everytime I call they tell me they have no immediate plans to change the lines in my area, they will get to us when they can. So if I want anything besides dial up it, comcast cable is my only option.

LunaChick
08-11-2008, 03:56 PM
We have Comcast and to be honest they are HORRIBLE. I think it is fair to say that they have been out to our house at least 8 times in the last 3 months and are coming again tomorrow. My internet is constantly up and down. It is soooo aggravating. This is the first time all day that I have been able to get online. if you have other options, I suggest you do, as Comcast doesn't give a hoot about you. We are looking into AT&T cable/internet.

My internet with Comcast is outstanding. I have awesome upload and download speeds. I pay to have two separate IP's because hubby and I are avid gamers. Can't have that bandwith being sucked up, lol. However, their DVR boxes suck big ones. I only watch a few channels and record all of my shows. I have a special where they give me HBO, Showtime and some other crappy channel for like 5 bucks. I don't watch them, ever. I guess I'm wasting my 5 bucks. Anyway, my shows get digitized, the programs record half ass or not at all and the damn thing acts up all the time.

I pay about 130 a month for cable and internet. That doesn't include any PPV movies I order.

MERE CHAT
08-11-2008, 04:31 PM
We have Comcast triple play - cable, high-speed internet and unlimited long-distance phone (USA, Canada and Puerto Rico). We have NO problems with the internet, have more channels than we can possibly watch and unlimited long distance with my family is a miracle! My sister can talk for 10 hours (no kidding). All 3 services for less than $110 a month! We LOVE it!

Beso
08-11-2008, 04:41 PM
I have the triple play as well. Just not the triple play fee anymore. My year is up.

We thought about dish, but our neighbors have so many problems with theirs I decided not to.

We also have DVR, and have never had a problem with that. I always get nice people when/if they have to come out to replace a box. That was when they started to get the new digital boxes and to install the DVR.

The sale rep I talked to said they offer any movie channel free for the 1st 6 months. then its like 5 for the rest of the year. After 12 months it goes to full price of 16.99. And you can call in to see if they have any new offers.

Eyore
08-11-2008, 05:07 PM
I have Comcast cable internet and tv for about 5 years now and have only had my internet go down once for a few hours that I am aware of. I can't complain about there service where I am. I can't get the phone service it isn't in my area.

Jenefer3
08-11-2008, 05:38 PM
I have Comcast for my internet, cable, and phone, and even after my year was up, my price only went up $10. We pay $140 a month because of the channels I want and we have HBO. Plus, Comcast has a thing if you have triple play, where you can sign up for their rewards -where you get anywhere from $10 to $30 (depending on your package and where you live)off your monthly bill, just by signing up. http://comcast.p.delivery.net/m/p/com/tpr/home.asp

We haven't really had any issues with them, except once or twice and they were small...annoying to me, but really not that big of a deal. Our cable went out once and it took them 30 minutes to get it back on...I know that's not really a big deal but when you're in the middle of a really good show and about to find out who did what, it's irritating for the cable to go out lol.

Wish I could cancel it all and then resign up cuz right now they're giving away free Wiis when you sign up for the triple play...:(

evrita
08-11-2008, 07:27 PM
I had comcast and then I switched thru my phone company and got the package deal of phone internet and direct tv all for the price of what I was paying for comcast. I know several people who have switched because the prices keep going up and up and getting less and less channels.

YankeeMary
08-11-2008, 07:36 PM
We pay $152 a month and have done away with the HDTV package and box because it made our internet drop more often. We have had this problem for a couple of years now but worsened when we got the HDTV package. The problems were here when Adelphia owned them. Comcast bought them out I believe over a year or so ago. I find it horribly bad customer service that this problem has continued this long and they know what the problem is but they are just to sorry to fix it. And this time last year our bill was $123 for the exact same service. I HATE COMCAST!!! It cost us to have Comcast. My dh works from home and an internet connection is a must. Since he can't count on our connection he has to go into the office (36 miles a day). We also have Vonage and it doesn't work when the internet doesn't work so we are paying for a phone he can't even use. I wish I knew someone personally that had the new AT&T cable/internet as I am sure this is what we will be switching to. Would like some opinion on it as well as satelite. I think it is great that you all have great experience with Comcast, I just hope there never is an issue with your service because their customer service really sucks.

evrita
08-11-2008, 07:42 PM
We pay $152 a month and have done away with the HDTV package and box because it made our internet drop more often. We have had this problem for a couple of years now but worsened when we got the HDTV package. The problems were here when Adelphia owned them. Comcast bought them out I believe over a year or so ago. I find it horribly bad customer service that this problem has continued this long and they know what the problem is but they are just to sorry to fix it. And this time last year our bill was $123 for the exact same service. I HATE COMCAST!!! It cost us to have Comcast. My dh works from home and an internet connection is a must. Since he can't count on our connection he has to go into the office (36 miles a day). We also have Vonage and it doesn't work when the internet doesn't work so we are paying for a phone he can't even use. I wish I knew someone personally that had the new AT&T cable/internet as I am sure this is what we will be switching to. Would like some opinion on it as well as satelite. I think it is great that you all have great experience with Comcast, I just hope there never is an issue with your service because their customer service really sucks.

Mary I dont have the AT&T but I do the Verizon/ now Fairpoint deal and it cost me less and customer service has never been an issue and neither has the internet going out. We have a dish and no problems there either.

mimilizz
08-11-2008, 08:28 PM
i have at&T internet have had any problems withit at all.dish it gose out some times if the weathewer is bad but so far so good on dish .we have every channel they offer because i dont go to movies dont rent videos.so this is all the entertaiment i have.127.00is what i pay

mesue
08-11-2008, 11:50 PM
I still can't get into the page even with the link listed it still takes me to where I have to put in my address and then goes straight to the video page which want load due to me only haivng dial up and then it won't stop trying to load the stupid video.

Can someone please go and bring up the programming you get with the offer package, when you first take it out, and get the programming to show on the page and put the link to the page with the programming showing here? TIA

Also wanted to ask if anyone has on demand, and are there any good movies or are they so old and lame no one would watch them? Do they have good documentaries?

van1
08-12-2008, 02:58 AM
Had it for 15 years...but the prices kept going up, going up, taxes thet couldn't be explained, then services cut...and the only time they were eager to talk to us was when we said we're done....each 3 or 6 month time period, our "special rates" were discontinued...and we'd have to start the whole thing again..Went up over 200 % in the last 4 years....and that was with NO pay per view programs or special channels to be included...Never wanted any of that stuff..so they finally started cutting the basic channels too..

"introductory rates"....are just that...and only apply to new customers..not the old faithful ones...

Be very careful about the terms...'cause they can raise the price without notification...and then cancel you without notification if you don't pay the extra costs.

Just signed up and got WOWWAY, but still working the bugs out of it...may just get fed up and cancel it all....!!! AARRRRGHGHGHHH!

Hope your experience is better than ours.

Viv, Just a Grannie in Michigan.

Willow
08-12-2008, 05:59 AM
We have phone, internet and cable through Comcast. We have had some problems with it. Our phone was out for a couple of days due to the modem being faulty. The internet hasn't gone down for a long time but it probably will go down now because I'm saying that. lol It's been a long time since the cable has gone out. We orginally signed up for the package deal because it was supposed to be $99 a month but after taxes and other fees it came out to about $130 a month. If you have Comcast cable then you have the On Demand. It's something everyone gets. I don't watch it much but once in a while dh finds stuff on there that he watches. The NFL network used to be included in what we had but now you have to pay extra for that. We don't have it right now but dh has been talking about adding it on.

evrita
08-12-2008, 07:09 AM
This is what I found for my area pricing is this

Starter BundleGet the Comcast Starter Bundle for just $99/month for 12 months!
Comcast is now offering internet, phone and cable together in one package for just $33 each per month for one year when you sign up for all three. It’s a great value.

Comcast Digital Cable with Channel 1 On Demand.

Get the best in entertainment with Channel 1 On Demand- a library of tons of free movies and programs that are ready to watch when you are. You’ll also get 100% Digital quality picture and sound. Over 100 channels including music, sports and family entertainment. Plus, an interactive on-screen guide, and commercial-free digital music. Dish doesn't offer all this!

$33 per month for 1 year when you subscribe to all three services.*
Comcast High-Speed Internet (6Mbps)
Download music, photos and videos way faster than DSL and Dial up. Plus, get McAfee virus protection, firewall and parental controls.

Comcast Digital Voice®
Enjoy unlimited local and nationwide long distance calls so you can talk as much as you want. Plus, Voice Mail with web access,12 popular calling features like Caller ID, 3-Way Calling and Anonymous Call Blocking. Online account summary and call detail. Keep your number or change it - you decide.

EMTA required for an additional monthly fee.
View the Channel Lineup for your area. Select "View By Package" to see what channels you get with our different packages. While you're there, search for your favorite channels or sort by program genres!

The Starter Bundle package you have selected includes the following:
Cable:

Comcast Digital Cable package offers you a large variety of popular cable networks and digital music channels, so there is something to watch for everyone in your home.

TV will now be on your schedule with Channel 1 On Demand from Comcast Digital Cable. Pick a show. Play it whenever. Enhanced Cable gives you the power of On Demand, an extensive library of hit shows and movies ready to watch when you are. You can pause, rewind or fast-forward your selected program anytime.

The Interactive Program Guide lets you easily search for programs by time, category or channel. Get instant information on any show and program your TV to remind you when your favorite shows start. Plus, easily block unwanted programs with our Parental Control feature.

Comcast High-Speed Internet:

Enjoy full access to Comcast.net, our dynamic Internet launching pad that’s your starting point for news, e-mail, video mail and much more. (Read more about Comcast.net below.)

Access friendly, experienced customer support 24 hours a day, seven days a week, and tap into a variety of helpful online self-service tools, real-time chat and e-mail. Visit the Service Center often to view answers to frequently asked questions, read the latest virus alerts or change your password. Comcast.net puts tons of information at your fingertips.

You’ll have full privileges on Comcast.net, the exclusive portal that gives you instant access to a world of tools, videos, information and fun. Here are just a few of the exciting features on Comcast.net:

McAfee Security: Protect your computer and personal information with top-rated McAfee Virus Protection, Firewall, and parental controls.
Rhapsody Radio PLUS: Create your own commercial-free, customizable radio stations, access over 2 million songs, watch music videos and much more - all free.
Comcast Toolbar: Get free pop-up blocker spyware and anti-phishing protection - along with search tools, customizable weather features and much more.
The Fan: This interactive, customizable click-and-play feature is packed with news clips, music videos and movie previews.
Comcast Photo Center: Share your photos online, free! Download free software to create scrapbooks, slideshows and more.
Video Mail: Create, preview and send video messages to anyone with an e-mail address. You can even combine digital photos into a movie to send via Video Mail.
Free trials: You’ll qualify for amazing deals from Games on Demand and Rhapsody Music.
Plus more to come: We’re committed to providing the best online experience available. So we’re always working to add new broadband features and special
Web Space:
Get your own online space so you can build a home page that highlights your interests, photos and favorite links. You can also store files online and access them from any computer connected to the Internet.

E-Mail:
Get up to 7 e-mail addresses that can be accessed remotely from any computer. Now everyone in the family can have their own e-mail address! With 250MB of storage per email account, you'll have plenty of space for all your emails.

Digital Voice:

Unlimited local and long-distance calling
Call anyone, anytime, anywhere in the country - all for one low price.
Keep your current phone number
When you switch to Comcast Digital Voice®, bring your phone number with you.
Works with your existing phone
Keep your current touch-tone phone — Comcast Digital Voice® works just like your existing phone.
Service you can depend on
Comcast Digital Voice® and our advanced broadband network ensures that your home phone service is there when you need it.
One bill - Plus online account summary
Enjoy one simple bill for Cable TV, Phone and High-Speed Internet -- plus, you can use your online account summary to view your phone call details.
Popular calling features
...all included in your low monthly price.
a. 3-Way Calling
b. Anonymous Call Rejection
c. Call Forwarding Selective
d. Call Forwarding Variable
e. Call Return
f. Call Screening
g. Call Waiting
h. Caller ID†
i. Caller ID Blocking Per Call
j. Caller ID Blocking Per Line
k. Caller ID with Call Waiting†
l. Repeat Dialing
m. Speed Dial 8
n. PLUS Voice Mail

Offer ends 09/30/08, is only available in wired and serviceable areas in participating Comcast systems (and may not be transferred) and is limited to residential customers satisfying applicable eligibility criteria. Offer not available to customers with unpaid account balances. Offer limited to Digital Cable, High-Speed Internet and Comcast Digital Voice service. Requires subscription to all 3 services. AFTER THE 12 MONTH PROMOTIONAL PERIOD OR IF ANY SERVICE IS DOWNGRADED, COMCAST’S REGULAR CHARGES APPLY UNLESS SERVICE IS CANCELED. SERVICE MAY BE CANCELED BY CALLING 1-800-COMCAST.Comcast’s current monthly service charges for the advertised services may vary depending on your area. Digital Cable and High-Speed Internet service limited to a single outlet. Service subject to Comcast standard terms and conditions. Unless indicated, prices shown do not include equipment and installation charges, taxes, franchise fees and in the case of telephone service the Regulatory Recovery Fee, or other applicable charges (e.g., international calling or per-call charges). An activation fee applies to Comcast Digital Voice. May not be combined with other offers. Cable Service: Certain services available separately or as a part of other levels of service. Basic service subscription required to receive other levels of service. Not all programming available in all areas. On Demand selections subject to charge indicated at the time of purchase. Converter and remote required to receive certain services. HD programming limited to the programming provided to Comcast in HD format. High-Speed Service: PowerBoost provides bursts of download and upload speeds for the first 10 MB and 5 MB of a file, respectively. Many factors affect speed. Actual speeds vary and are not guaranteed. Cable modem required. Not all features, including McAfee, compatible with Macintosh systems. Comcast Digital Voice: Unlimited package pricing applies only to direct-dialed calls from home to locations in the U.S., Canada, Puerto Rico and certain other U.S. territories. No separate long distance carrier connection available. Comcast Digital Voice service (including 911/emergency services) may not function after an extended power outage. Certain customer premises equipment may not be compatible with Comcast Digital Voice services. EMTA required ($3.00 -$5.00/month from Comcast). Call for restrictions and complete details. Savings claim based upon comparison between Comcast’s Starter package rates in the first year to rates in subsequent years of service. Savings with Comcast Rewards Program based on application of current Comcast Rewards Program’s monthly discount for the advertised savings following the first 12 month period, measured over a 2 or more year period. Comcast Rewards Program discounts are subject to change and subject to Comcast Rewards Program terms and conditions. Please call your local Comcast office for restrictions and complete details about service, prices and equipment. Comcast ©2008. All rights reserved. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.

evrita
08-12-2008, 07:14 AM
http://www.comcast.com/Customers/Clu/ChannelLineup.ashx

101 Discovery Kids Children & Family
102 Science Channel
104 Investigation Discovery
105 Discovery Health News & Info
106 The Military Channel
107 Current TV
108 The Game Show Network Children & Family
109 BBC America Lifestyle
111 fuse
112 Trinity Broadcasting (TBN)
113 i-Lifetv
115 The Biography Channel News & Info
116 History International News & Info
117 Toon Disney Children & Family
118 Soap Net Lifestyle
119 style.
120 National Geographic News & Info
121 The Golf Channel Sports
123 DIY Lifestyle
129 G4
130 Fit TV
131 ESPN Classic Sports
132 ESPNews Sports
133 Fox Business News & Info
134 Fine Living Lifestyle
135 Gospel Music Channel
137 MTV 2 Music
139 MTV Jams Music
140 WE: Women's Entertainment Lifestyle
143 CMT Pure Country Music
144 VH-1 Classic
147 Independent Film Channel Movies
148 Noggin Children & Family
149 Great American Country Music
150 Fox Reality
151 PBS Kids Sprout Children & Family
152 The N Children & Family
153 Nick Too Children & Family
154 Nicktoons Network! Children & Family
155 VH1 Soul Music
158 The Word Network
160 Urge TV
161 LOGO Lifestyle
163 Lifetime Movie Network Movies
164 Sundance
176 TV One
178 Sportsman Sports
187 C-SPAN 3 News & Info
235 Flix
248 Encore
250 Encore Love
252 Encore Westerns
254 Encore Mystery
256 Encore Drama
258 Encore Action
260 Encore WAM!
281 MTV tr3s Multicultural
401 Sounds of the Season Music
402 Today's Country
403 Classic Country
404 Bluegrass
405 Hip Hop and R&B
406 Classic R&B
407 R&B Soul
408 R&B Hits
409 Rap
410 Metal
411 Rock
412 Arena Rock
413 Classic Rock
414 Adult Alternative
415 Alternative
416 Retro-Active
417 Electronica
418 Dance
419 Lite Hits
420 Adult Top 40
421 Hit List
422 Kidz Only!
423 Party Favorites
424 Showcase
425 90's
426 80's
427 70's
428 Solid Gold Oldies
429 Smooth Jazz
430 Jazz
431 Blues
432 Reggae
433 Soundscapes
434 Easy Listening
435 Big Band & Swing
436 Singers & Standards
437 Show Tunes
438 Contemporary Christian
439 Gospel
440 Classical Masterpieces
441 Lite Classical
442 Pop Latino
443 Musica Urbana
444 Salsa y Merengue
445 Mexicana
446 Rock 'En Español Music
447 Americana Music
448 Opera Music

Basic, Expanded Basic and Digital Starter Line-up:

1 Subject to availability.

2 Available in all digital format. Digital capable equipment is required. Channels subject to availability.

* Family Tier is available to customers who subscribe to Basic Service only. Family Tier requires a digital cable box and remote control, billed in addition to the Family Tier price. Additional equipment fees may apply. Pricing does not include applicable taxes, franchise and FCC fees. Music Choice® and Channel 1 On Demand are not available with the Family Tier. Family Tier can not be combined with any other Comcast Digital Cable Package. Premium channels are available at an additional cost to Family Tier subscribers.

Digital Channel Line-up:

** Some restrictions apply. Not all programming is available in all areas. Digital capable equipment is required to receive Digital Cable channels. Additional equipment fees may apply.

*** High-definition capable equipment is required to receive high-definition channels.

+ High-definition channels, including local signals, are subject to availability. A high-definition (HD) television set (not provided) and HD capable equipment is required.

++ A minimum level of Standard Cable service is required to receive this channel.

+++ A minimum level of Digital Classic service is required to receive this channel.

° A subscription to Sports Entertainment Pack is required to receive this channel.

°° A subscription to the appropriate Premium Pack is required to receive this channel.

°°° A minimum service level of Digital Starter is required in order to receive this channel.

^ Not available as part of a Digital Value Package, available as an A la carte channel only.

©2008 Comcast | Investor Relations | Press Room | Privacy Statement | Visitor Agreement | Site Map

mesue
08-12-2008, 12:11 PM
Thank you Evrita, that helps a lot. I wanted to show hubby what we would have, he loves to watch the rodeo and nascar, and soon there will be football, and even though we have two tvs and one is them is in his man den, full of his collections and junk IMO more junk than anything else. He tends to stay in the den with the bigger tv, so I really need some decent internet, since I never get to watch tv. LOL

Of course the simple solution would be to move the bigger tv to his man den, but I like the big tv for when I do get to watch tv, while he is at work.

mesue
08-13-2008, 12:43 AM
This is what I hate about Comcast, today I called with a few more questions and this is the third time I have spoken to them about the new customer package. When I spoke to this person, he informed me, I would not get the year deal. I only get a four month deal, due to I can't take their phone offer, because it is not offered in my area.

So all of this time the other people have been outright lying to me. They knew where I was, I could not qualify for the year deal, but continued to tell me it was for a year, knowing that within four months my bill would go up. They never even mentioned phone to me, so I am sure they knew, or else they would have been making the offer of the phone service.

evrita
08-13-2008, 06:02 AM
Im sorry thats why I switched because they did it to me to when I moved to my house they said I wouldnt get a change in my bill and tey jacked it higher and I only moved like a mile away from my apartment.

mesue
08-13-2008, 12:16 PM
I wonder why their representatives don't just tell it like it is, most people are going to go with the more honest company, and nobody likes surprise charges on their bill.

BTW if anyone has a satellite dish, make sure you go in and put a lock code in. This prevents anyone from ordering anything, without knowing the code, and also prevents anything from accidentally being downloaded to your receiver, and you getting charged for it. This happened to us once, so I know it can happen. I had to pay for a movie that we were supposedly watching during a superbowl game.

Hubby and my son, and me, were sitting on the couch watching the game, mostly I was flipping thorugh a magazine, (I hate football), but I was in the room the entire time the game was on, and know that is what everyone watched. Later I got charged for a triple XXX movie, they said we watched during the same hours as the game. When I called to tell them no one watched a triple XXX movie, they said their computers did not make mistakes.

The next month I got another bill for more XXX movies. Most of the times they charged for, was during times I was watching HGTV, one of my favorite shows came on during that time. I called to complain, and they told me I was downloading a movie right then, which I was not. I ended up paying half of the charges just to keep the darn satellite. But after I put a code in I have not had any problems. I think the code acts like a firewall.

The only thing I can figure out, and they said this would not, and could not happen, is that someone with a similar receiver box number near me had the card fixed, (illegal) that actually allows them view anything without paying for it. But, then computer then searches for who to charge, and we kept coming up due to numbers being similar. Because of this, the movies were downloaded to our box also, and we were unaware of it, after all I don't even look at channels we can't get.

At any rate I know no one was watching those movies, when I was watching HGTV and the football game, plus we only had one receiver at the time, and I was the only one home most of the times we were charged for.

Putting a code in and locking it, is simple, go through menu to do it, just make sure you pick a code you can remember, something most people would not know.