PDA

View Full Version : How do I find a charity hospital in Mobile, Alabama?

gmyers
08-09-2008, 05:51 PM
I can't find one and I need too. My husband is sick again and I need to know of one that we can go too. We really can't afford a regular hospital with no insurance and I'd like to know where one is in case he has to go again.

tngirl
08-09-2008, 05:58 PM
Check with a hospital associated with a university. They are usually the ones that are more lax in their payment policies. You could always try calling an emergency room and asking them if they know of one. I know of no hospital though that is NOT going to charge you something, just of those that will take you in whether you have insurance or not.

nanajoanie
08-09-2008, 06:46 PM
Check with a hospital associated with a university. They are usually the ones that are more lax in their payment policies. You could always try calling an emergency room and asking them if they know of one. I know of no hospital though that is NOT going to charge you something, just of those that will take you in whether you have insurance or not.

And if you don't pay after a long time, they start calling you andsometimes
finally 'discount' the bill = meaning paying the bill in full.

jedmatters
08-09-2008, 06:52 PM
Is there a county hospital in the area? That may be a starting place.
You could ask hospitals about indigent plans.
Some hospitals have programs that will either send off to foundations for help with your biils, or charities that help pay medical expenses.

If he is extremely ill, and you fell he needs medical attention: do not hestitate to get to the closest ER. Have him examined, and if they feel he needs to be admitted, someone from the hospital's finance department will talk to both of you about your options.

Here, where I live: there is only one foundation (charity) hospital, and it is a Children's hospital. We do not have a county run hospital, or a foundation for adult care. Every hospital will talk to you about the options, and most even have Social Workers from the State that come in weekdays to help indigent patients file for asistance.

YankeeMary
08-09-2008, 06:55 PM
I can't find one and I need too. My husband is sick again and I need to know of one that we can go too. We really can't afford a regular hospital with no insurance and I'd like to know where one is in case he has to go again.

If I remember correctly, your dh has trouble breathing. If he needs to go to a hospital, then take him, regardless of the cost. His breathing problems can result in death!!! I totally understand not being able to afford it really I do, but sometimes, it just doesn't matter what the cost is. I sure hope he is ok and I know its hard on you as well. But seriously, just take him and sweat it out later, his life is worth more then the worry of a bill (which I am sure you know already). Also, MOST hospitals offer help, you just have to ask. Since he is so ill, he is eligble for SSDI (if he has worked and paid into it) if not then SSI. If he gets SSDI then he can get medicare, if he gets SSI he can get medicaid. Most hospitals have someone to help you apply for these. Alot of people do not know that the hospitals offers this type of assistance. Also hospitals have funds that help people out. I know some offer what is called a Hilburton fund (I could be spelling that wrong.) and it will help people that can't afford it. Take your dh to the ER if needed and ask the person that comes around wanting your insurance info what help is available. If they don't help call the financial offices, and keep trying. The help is there.

nanajoanie
08-09-2008, 07:09 PM
If I remember correctly, your dh has trouble breathing. If he needs to go to a hospital, then take him, regardless of the cost. His breathing problems can result in death!!! I totally understand not being able to afford it really I do, but sometimes, it just doesn't matter what the cost is. I sure hope he is ok and I know its hard on you as well. But seriously, just take him and sweat it out later, his life is worth more then the worry of a bill (which I am sure you know already). Also, MOST hospitals offer help, you just have to ask. Since he is so ill, he is eligble for SSDI (if he has worked and paid into it) if not then SSI. If he gets SSDI then he can get medicare, if he gets SSI he can get medicaid. Most hospitals have someone to help you apply for these. Alot of people do not know that the hospitals offers this type of assistance. Also hospitals have funds that help people out. I know some offer what is called a Hilburton fund (I could be spelling that wrong.) and it will help people that can't afford it. Take your dh to the ER if needed and ask the person that comes around wanting your insurance info what help is available. If they don't help call the financial offices, and keep trying. The help is there.

Mary gives you the best advice. She knows.

FreeBnutt
08-09-2008, 07:10 PM
Most hospitals have a "financial counselor" and they know who you need to talk to get your bills paid, and taken care of. Also, someone in billing will know who to talk to too.

gmyers
08-09-2008, 07:17 PM
My sister helped me find one its based on your income. Thank goodness its only about 12 miles from our house too. He just got out of the hospital the end of June now he has the same symptoms again. His doctor called in steroids and he has anti-biotics so we'll see how he's doing tomorrow or Monday. I just wanted to know in case he needs to go. We'll go to the regular one if he gets bad. I don't care what it costs but it worries him a lot. But we'll definitely be going if this medicine doesn't help him. The anti-biotics seem to be helping some today and the steroids. But he's definitely going if he doesn't get better really soon.

CLARKS4
08-09-2008, 08:14 PM
The medical center in the neighboring city to us offers finicial aid but if you dont call the billing department and ask for it. They wont tell you about it. I just had to fill out the paper work for my parents. So call the billing dept even with the ones that you already have and see if there is any finicial aid.

buttrfli
08-10-2008, 06:46 AM
Mary gives you the best advice. She knows.

Mary is my guru!

My DH has been in and out of the hospital for the last 2 years. We don't have health ins and can't afford the bills, but what else are we supposed to do?? One of our hospitals has a program that if you meet the criteria, they will 'forgive' your bill. The only thing we had to pay on that one was the dr bill which was less than $200. That helped us some, but we still have 5 other stays to pay for lol

galeane29
08-10-2008, 12:54 PM
Why are you looking for a hospital in Mobile when you live near Birmingham? Mobile is like 6 hours from you.

keoka3
08-10-2008, 03:47 PM
That is what I am afraid of too, I can't get TennCare and have no insurance and I need a new knee, I am just waiting for it to go out and my hip also, wondering what I will do then too.

buglebe
08-11-2008, 11:24 AM
gmyers how is your husband doing?

tngirl
08-11-2008, 02:21 PM
That is what I am afraid of too, I can't get TennCare and have no insurance and I need a new knee, I am just waiting for it to go out and my hip also, wondering what I will do then too.
Where in TN do you live? TN also has an insurance program for uninsured, you could call your local DHS and ask them the name and contact information.

keoka3
08-11-2008, 05:42 PM
I live in Athens, I went to DHS for foodstamps and TennCare but can't get it unless I have a kid or have a child. They give me a list of free Doctors, but that does me no good, I can't get a MRI or anything else at the dr's. just medicine. And foodstamps I get a whole 16.00. Hoping to go back to work, but it is just temporary, no insurance.

gmyers
08-12-2008, 04:22 PM
Why are you looking for a hospital in Mobile when you live near Birmingham? Mobile is like 6 hours from you.

I live in Mobile not Birmingham. I found one about 12 miles from my house. What makes you think I live near Birmingham? I've never lived near Birmingham
My husbands doing better . He's weak and just started eating much today. The anti-biotics and steroids are working. We just can't run our air much anymore at night. He gets crouped up when we use it at night,.