PDA

View Full Version : Garage sale question

Diana777
08-05-2008, 09:29 AM
I am wanting to have a garage sale this weekend and am curious as to how you decide how much you want for things? Like books, I have lots of both paperback and hard cover how much should I charge for them? how much for clothes? vcr tapes? dvds? etc
Any help is appreciated

ladybugva
08-05-2008, 09:44 AM
try to think how much you are willing to pay for that item if you were to go get it at a yard sale your self.

Books don't always go well so I would price them cheep like .25 for paper back .50 for hard back. Or maybe buy 2 get 1 free.

Willow
08-05-2008, 10:24 AM
try to think how much you are willing to pay for that item if you were to go get it at a yard sale your self.

Books don't always go well so I would price them cheep like .25 for paper back .50 for hard back. Or maybe buy 2 get 1 free.

That's about what books go for around here too at yard sales. I've even seen them as low at 10 cents. As far as clothes go it depends but I've seen shirts for 50 cents and jeans/pants for a $1 if they are in good condition.

ilikefree
08-05-2008, 10:59 AM
Same here with books...a dime or a quarter each. If clothes are name brand, they go better than if they're not. As for VHS tapes, I just went to a garage sale this weekend and saw a sign that they wanted $2.50 each! That price was crossed out and they had a quarter each. I did buy 4 of them for the kids. DVD's usually sell for more, but please don't do what I see some people do and put new prices on them. Good luck with the sale!

freeby4me
08-05-2008, 11:09 AM
If you want to just get rid of the stuff, price it way low.

DVD's a dollar a piece, but a bit higher for newer releases or double feature type thing.
VHS, i'd go real low, like a quarter a piece or 5 for a dollar.
Clothes, maybe a quarter a piece for the average clothing, a bit higher for name brand. Coats I'd sell for about 5 bucks each.

Also, either price everything or make sure its sectioned clearly with the price clearly marked for the items. (like the books, movies)

Diana777
08-05-2008, 12:39 PM
Thank you everyone for your tips!
I have not been to nor had a garage sale in many years was kinda lost about the whole thing.

kmtsn
08-05-2008, 02:33 PM
Like everyone is saying price things they way you would want to buy them. Good luck

PrincessArky
08-05-2008, 02:39 PM
good luck with your sale

dv8grl
08-05-2008, 03:45 PM
Check half.com before selling your dvds for a buck., some may be outta print & worth alot more. Do you have a CD Warehouse in your area., they pay CASH for dvds., maybe more than what you could get at a yard sale.
While your at half.com., check your hardcover books., you may have some first editions.
Also., do you have a used bookstore in your area. If so, call n' ask if they buy books & pay CASH., not credit.

Clothes., Jeans no more than $1
T-SHirts no more than $.50
VHS - $.25each or 5 for $1

meltodd69
08-05-2008, 06:08 PM
One thing I have seen at garage sales is the last day everything 1/2 price. Just a thought everyone likes a bargain.

Diana777
08-12-2008, 08:02 PM
I did ok but man people are crazy any more! Someone stole batteries out of some of the toys, someone wanted me to sell a $400 massage chair that has only been used a couple times (my mom bought a new one and wanted to sell hers) for $10.00 and then called me a ***** when I said no, someone stole my digital camera man I am glad that is over!

Jenefer3
08-12-2008, 08:44 PM
I did ok but man people are crazy any more! Someone stole batteries out of some of the toys, someone wanted me to sell a $400 massage chair that has only been used a couple times (my mom bought a new one and wanted to sell hers) for $10.00 and then called me a ***** when I said no, someone stole my digital camera man I am glad that is over!

Oh wow, I'm sorry to hear that. That's one reason I haven't held a garage sale, even though I have a bunch of stuff to put in it. I just don't want to deal with moronic people, well anymore than normal.

PrincessArky
08-13-2008, 05:47 AM

oh how very sad :( I dont do sales I just donate my stuff to local churches usually

freeby4me
08-13-2008, 05:56 AM
Wow that is terrible.

jerseybarb
08-13-2008, 04:47 PM
Im sorry those bad things happened

I was at a garage sale once, and I tried to dicker a woman down on some over priced stuff, and she said "thats what they get in the stores" YIKES, lady, your garage aint WalMart!

ladybugva
08-13-2008, 06:48 PM
wow so sorry that you had problems. I had one woman complain b/c I had put "set" on 2 crystal glasses. She said "that's not a set" so I said fine "for the pair" uugg was a *itch.