PDA

View Full Version : Hollywood star Morgan Freeman injured in car accident

dispatcher
08-04-2008, 09:15 AM
Hollywood star Morgan Freeman injured in car accident

Memphis-area television is reporting that Actor Morgan Freeman was airlifted to a Memphis hospital Sunday following a single-car accident in north Mississippi.
Kathy Stringer, spokeswoman for Regional Medical Center in Memphis, confirmed that Freeman had been admitted into the hospital and is in serious condition.

Officials from the Mississippi Highway Patrol said they are preparing a statement to be released later this morning.

Njean31
08-04-2008, 09:20 AM
awww......he's one of my fav's. i hope he's okay.

DBackFan
08-04-2008, 09:24 AM
There was a woman in the car too...no word yet on condition of either one.

Updated to say Jaws of Life had to remove him but so far only a broken arm and shoulder.

jbbarn
08-04-2008, 09:34 AM
There was a woman in the car too...no word yet on condition of either one.

Updated to say Jaws of Life had to remove him but so far only a broken arm and shoulder.

Good lord! Wonder if he hiit a tree!
Hope he recovers soon.

PrincessArky
08-04-2008, 10:13 AM
OMG I hope he is gonna be alright..........on a side note I had NO idea he was 71 yrs old

(CNN) -- Oscar-winning actor Morgan Freeman was in serious condition at a Memphis hospital after being involved in a car accident Sunday night, according to hospital officials.
Freeman

Milla Borden, spokeswoman for the Memphis Regional Medical Center, confirmed that Freeman was a patient at the hospital.

CNN affilliate WMC of Memphis reported that he was in a car accident in Tallahatchie County, Mississippi, about 100 miles south of Memphis, late Sunday.

According to The Associated Press, Freeman was "lucid" when the rescue team found his car.

"They had to use the jaws of life to extract him from the vehicle," Clay McFerrin, editor of Sun Sentinel in Charleston, Mississippi, said. "He was lucid, conscious. He was talking, joking with some of the rescue workers at one point."

McFerrin, who told the AP he arrived at the accident scene not long after the incident, said bystanders were trying to get a look at the actor.

When one person tried to snap a photo with a cell phone camera, Freeman joked, "no freebies, no freebies," McFerrin told the AP.

Freeman, 71, won an Academy Award for best supporting actor in 2005 for his role in the gritty boxing film "Million Dollar Baby." He has been nominated for Oscars three other times, for the movies "Street Smart," "Driving Miss Daisy" and "The Shawshank Redemption."

He's currently starring in two successful summer films, the hitman drama "Wanted" and the blockbuster "The Dark Knight."

He recently starred on Broadway in a production of the Clifford Odets play "The Country Girl."

Freeman was born in Memphis and spent part of his childhood in Mississippi. He owns a club, the Ground Zero Blues Club, in Clarksdale, Mississippi. In a 2005 interview with CNN, he said returning to the area was "one of the smartest moves I've made in life."

"My aim in life, when I graduated from high school, was to get out of Mississippi," he said. "I started coming back in about 1979, because my parents moved back, which I couldn't understand. What in the world would make you come back here? It took me about 20 years to figure that out."

Freeman's non-profit foundation has donated hundreds of thousands of dollars to schools in the historically poor region, and he established the club in part to preserve the Delta's musical heritage.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/Movies/08/04/morgan.freeman.accident/index.html

magenta
08-04-2008, 10:22 AM
Oh geez, I really hope he is okay. He is one of my favs too. I was almost afraid to click the news link on the main page cuz I couldn't see the whole link I was afraid he was going to be diagnosed with an awful illness or dead. I would have cried all day.

dv8grl
08-04-2008, 01:18 PM
I keep waiting for updates! Checking all the news sites, etc....

kybeauty
08-04-2008, 02:39 PM
He is one of my fav actors...I sure hope he will be ok!!

hotwheelstx
08-04-2008, 02:41 PM
Hope he does well. I think he's great. He's one of the few actors that Aggie really enjoys watching.

I just found this on People Magazine website:

Originally posted Monday August 04, 2008 05:20 PM EDT
Morgan Freeman Is in 'Good Spirits' After Accident

Morgan Freeman is in good spirits and is planning to have surgery after sustaining injuries in a car accident Sunday night, the actor's rep said in a statement Monday afternoon.

"He has a broken arm, broken elbow and minor shoulder damage but he is in good spirits," said Donna Lee. "He is going to have surgery this afternoon or tomorrow to correct the damage. He says he'll be okay and is looking forward to a full recovery."

The Dark Knight actor, 71, was listed in "serious" condition after a late-night car accident. Freeman was driving in Tallahatchie County when the accident happened at about 11:30 p.m., according to Mississippi Highway Patrol. He was removed from the wreck using the jaws of life, then airlifted from the accident scene to the Regional Medical Center at Memphis.

A passenger, identified by police as Demaris Meyer, was also in the car with Freeman.

dv8grl
08-04-2008, 08:45 PM
Glad 2 hear her wasn't seriously injured.

LuvBigRip
08-05-2008, 07:35 AM
Oscar-award winning actor Morgan Freeman was recovering from surgery in a Memphis hospital Monday night after he was in a car wreck Sunday in Mississippi, MyFOXMemphis reported.

The “Dark Knight” star, 71, was traveling through the small rural town of Ruleville at around 11:30 p.m. Sunday when a 1997 Nissan belonging to a female friend flipped several times and landed in a ditch, MyFOXMemphis said.

According to Mississippi Highway Patrol Spokesman Sgt. Ben Williams, Freeman and the female passenger were both wearing seatbelts at the time of the accident. The airbags did not deploy and alcohol was not listed as a factor in the wreck, MyFOXMemphis reported.

The female passenger – Demaris Meyer of Memphis – is the owner of the vehicle and a close friend of Freeman and his wife. According to web reports, she was treated for her injuries and released.

“They had to use the Jaws of Life to extract him from the vehicle,” McFerrin said.“He was lucid, conscious. He was talking, joking with some of the rescue workers at one point.”

According to Freeman's publicist, Donna Lee, the actor suffered a broken shoulder and arm and appears to be in pain.

RelatedStories
Morgan Freeman Injured in Car Accident Photo Essays
Morgan Freeman Freeman was airlifted from the accident to the Regional Medical Center in Memphis, Tenn. His publicist told MyFOXMemphis that he had suffered a broken shoulder and arm. He reportedly headed into surgery at 6 p.m.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,397721,00.html

YNKYH8R
08-05-2008, 08:01 AM
I remember watching him on the 'Electric Company' when I was younger. Great actor. We lose to many of them these days.