PDA

View Full Version : When do you start Holiday shopping?

poggles3
07-28-2008, 07:43 AM
When do you start holiday shopping? How have gas/clothing/food, etc prices changed your habits?
I used to start in January with small layaways.The prices have changed everything in my shopping patterns, now that walmart doesnt do layaway I watched ads an have started making small layaways at kmart. Not my favorite store by any means but they do have a shelf back by electronics in my store with clearance toys on it. I noticed in the past few weeks there have been quite a few high dollar toys marked way down, so I go put a few outfits on layaway along with a few toys. I used to do one a month an pay it off box it up in the storage room an by Christmas the kids were loaded. School clothes were much cheaper this way too, grab jeans whenever their on sale, wrong size or not, when they sell boys husky jeans for $9 I stock up, then I can always exchange them for the right size when their available. But now with the gas prices to run back to kmart, almost 1/2 hr trip one way, I cant really afford to do the exchanges like I used to. I just did my first layaway of the year a week ago. In the past all my small layaways made birthdays, holidays, anniversaries so much easier, just go dig through the boxes with which ever kids name on them an find some things for that event, now I"m so far behind I havent even started shopping for my little guys birthday, he'll be 3 on the 4th, which the party wont be until Aug. 9th but we cant afford the extras right now. This is the first birthday he will really enjoy and remember and I havent begun to shop. I always make their cakes, special character pans and pipe all the decor myself which saves money, but this year the pans for his party werent available in any store locally so I have to order it off the net. It's one of the most heart breaking effects of prices jumping so far. My husband makes the same amount of money as he did before gas was $4 a gallon, I cant work due to the fact that the cheapest liscensed child care facility in my area charges based on your income an says that $186 a week for all 3 boys is cheap. Are they nuts???? I just wondered who had habits of early shopping that may have changed.

Jenefer3
07-28-2008, 08:19 AM
I start saving up early but I don't do my shopping until about the middle of October. All my survey checks, gift cards, etc. get saved up for Christmas time or back to school. My kids are always growing, well except for oldest dd - she's stuck in a size 00 or 0 it seems - so I wait until closer to the actual event before buying clothes. I have a friend who's a manager at one of the stores that my daughter loves her clothes from and she'll call me up and tell me what kind of stuff is on sale so I can decide whether or not I want to run over there or not. Sometimes she'll pick it up for us.

I wish our stores still had layaway, I loved that! but that both of them got rid of it. It was nice to have a place to store it until right before christmas lol

Lild
07-28-2008, 08:35 AM
I usually don't do my shopping until late November early December...

Willow
07-28-2008, 08:36 AM
We don't usually start until around October at the earliest. Last year was a bad year for us financially but this year we are doing a little better. I would like to be like the people that start in January and are finished by March but things never happen that way. lol

Are you saying that $186 is what they would charge for all three boys or for each boy. If it's all three then that is a really good deal. The day cares around here cost over $100 a week for one child.

vicky122
07-28-2008, 08:40 AM
I don't have to buy as many gifts now so I start on Black Friday if there is something I want to get at a good buy.

cabby92
07-28-2008, 08:45 AM
Just a note on the expensive cake pans. I make cartoon character cakes frequently. I either draw the character or blow up a picture with a copier to desired cake size. Then cut out the picture and stick it on a large sheet cake. You can cut around the picture, remove the paper and then sort of carve the details into the cake. It looks just as good when finished and you never have to buy (or store) the pans.

PrincessArky
07-28-2008, 08:51 AM
I don't have to buy as many gifts now so I start on Black Friday if there is something I want to get at a good buy.

I am normally done by then but they always have something I just "have to have" lol

most of my shopping is over........just cashing out for some gift cards here and there for the older kids in my family.......the adults in my family draw names so we cut the cost there besides that I don't want "stuff" in my house so the less the better lol

poggles3
07-28-2008, 08:59 AM
We don't usually start until around October at the earliest. Last year was a bad year for us financially but this year we are doing a little better. I would like to be like the people that start in January and are finished by March but things never happen that way. lol

Are you saying that $186 is what they would charge for all three boys or for each boy. If it's all three then that is a really good deal. The day cares around here cost over $100 a week for one child.

$186 for 2 in diapers a week, my 9yr old is $75 a month on/off the bus. Thats full or part time they dont have a part time rate, so if I could find something parttime I wouldnt make enough for gas an childcare. Its very expensive considering what jobs are available here, we are lucky to have an opening for a cashier at foodlion right now, jobs are hard to come by those that have them arent giving them up!!

DBackFan
07-28-2008, 09:09 AM
I shop year round for Christmas because I love to buy even for my extended family and my Sister had 7 kids who all have kids so thats a LOT!

I pick up things all the time. Just yesterday I got a killer deal on those Ped Eggs (12.00 for 4 of them shipped...lol) so thats what my 4 nieces will get etc etc.

I still have a ways to go but I have time! LOL

ElleGee
07-28-2008, 09:39 AM
Since I have umpteen birthday parties the next 2 months I can't start shopping until the end of Oct.

BeanieLuvR
07-28-2008, 09:40 AM
I started the week after Christmas for nieces, nephews, great nephews, and great nieces. We have a ton of them. I give gift cards and money to my brothers, dad, and aunt and uncle. I still have to buy for my own kids but they have told me what they want so I will wait until Dec. to buy theirs. I don't have a clue what to get my DH. He is the hardest to buy for.

ladybugva
07-28-2008, 09:42 AM
i usually start the day after Christmas. If I find stuff I like for gifts. I try to buy as I find stuff. I am a little behind but not too bad. We have Christmas w/ my moms' side but draw names and set a limit so I only have to buy for 2 adults and 3 kids (and the kids limit is set at $10). I try to save up at reward my pts for GCs for some family.
I just need to keep a good list so I remember who I have what for.

The kids B-days are March/May/ June so they are right in the middle which is kind of nice.

jedmatters
07-28-2008, 09:49 AM
We wait until the beginning of November. I try to have it all done by Thanksgiving, so I do not have to step foot in a store (other than groceries) once the rush starts.
I hate crowds. I hate shopping. I hate traffic. So, it is best I stay away.

JerseyMook
07-28-2008, 01:03 PM
It's a year long project - I have a place to store gifts until Christmas/Birthdays etc and shop the internet sales when I can get them - alleviates the holiday stress and saves a ton on gas.