PDA

View Full Version : Do you support our troops??

lucimPI
07-25-2008, 05:01 PM
Most of the email like this (for both sides) is suspect. This came from a friend who knows the author so I believe it is what the author experienced.

I removed the name of the Captain who wrote this so as not to forward his name around the world.

---------- Forwarded Message ----------

Hello everyone, As you know I am not a very political person. I just wanted to pass along that Senator Obama came to Bagram Afghanistan for about an hour on his visit to 'The War Zone'. I wanted to share with you what happened. He got off the plane and got into a bullet proof vehicle , got to the area to meet with the Major General (2 Star) who is the commander here at Bagram.

As the Soldiers where lined up to shake his hand he blew them off and didn't say a word as he went into the conference room to meet the General. As he finished, the vehicles took him to the ClamShell (pretty much a big top tent that military personnel can play basketball or work out in with weights) so he could take his publicity pictures playing basketball. He again shunned the opportunity to talk to Soldiers to thank them for their service.

So really he was just here to make a showing for the American's back home that he is their candidate for President. I think that if you are going to make an effort to come all the way over here you would thank those that are providing the freedom that they are providing for you.

I swear we got more thanks from the NBA Basketball Players or the Dallas Cowboy Cheer leaders than from one of the Senators, who wants to be the President of the United States . I just don't understand how anyone would want him to be our Commander-and-Chief. It was almost that he was scared to be around those that provide the freedom for him and our great country.

If this is blunt and to the point I am sorry but I wanted you all to know what kind of caliber of person he really is. What you see in the news is all fake.

heartlvrs
07-25-2008, 05:10 PM
Cant say I am not surprised..he has his own private agenda...its called terrorism!

AND YES I SUPPORT OUR MILTARY!! I AM A FORMER US MARINE, AND MY OLDEST SERVED ARMY, MY YOUNGEST SERVING US NAVY, HUSBAND WAS NAVY TOO!! you live in america...by GEORGE you better support AMERICA!!! AND OUR TROOPS ARE AMERICA!!!!

DBackFan
07-25-2008, 05:26 PM
I couldn't agree more Loretta..I am reading now that he also decided NOT to visit the wounded in a hospital there either....he could only bring two or three of his Senate staff members, no campaign officials or workers and no media. Only military photographers would be permitted to record Obama's visit. He decided NO :rolleyes: Jackass

tsquared
07-25-2008, 06:36 PM
I figured his trip was one to show off when they first said he was planning on going.........A Commander in Chief that sends his troops into battle without experiencing it himself better damn well thank our military people or dont even bother sending them anywhere. Especially when a majority of them are draftees.

Bahet
07-25-2008, 09:17 PM
Bush didn't thank the troops when he went to Iraq that Thanksgiving back in '04. He, his staff, the generals, etc all got served 1st, not our troops. Then because they took up so much of the mess tent for "security reasons" (apparently he's afraid of the men and women he sent over there) and so much time a LOT of our soldiers didn't get any Thanksgiving dinner at all.

msginna
07-25-2008, 10:43 PM
Thank you for posting this. It kind of cemented what I thought of him.

janelle
07-26-2008, 12:01 AM
I thought I saw Bush thanking the soldiers all over the place and I know he shook hands with too many to count. Heck he went on TV to thank the soldiers.

Obama went over there as a private citizen---well as far as I an concerned he isn't president yet---and all the private citizens that have gone has thanked the soldiers to no end.

I think it shows he does not support the soldiers. He says he does but actions speak lounder than words.

Army-Mom
07-26-2008, 12:07 AM
I support our troops, my son is going back for a third time in 09..My husband was in Marines and my dad was in Air Force and my brother that was killed was at one time in the Army. We have several family members in Military or have served.

MistyWolf
07-26-2008, 12:36 AM
I thought I saw Bush thanking the soldiers all over the place and I know he shook hands with too many to count. Heck he went on TV to thank the soldiers.

Obama went over there as a private citizen---well as far as I an concerned he isn't president yet---and all the private citizens that have gone has thanked the soldiers to no end.

I think it shows he does not support the soldiers. He says he does but actions speak lounder than words.

Exactly! .. and not only do I support our troops, I support our President!

McCain all the way! Let Obama keep going the way he is and he is all but putting the nail in the coffin for himself.

Mom2Shaun
07-26-2008, 03:47 AM
This is complete BULLSHOT! Check it out on snopes.com, where they show it's a lie and the guy who wrote it backed down and asked that people stop forwarding it! http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/afghanistan.asp

Oh, and as far as his cancelled trip to visit wounded troops in Germany, it was because the Pentagon told his advisor (a retired 2 star general!) that it would be viewed as too political and wasn't appropriate.
"The senator decided out of respect for these servicemen and women that it would be inappropriate to make a stop to visit troops at a U.S. military facility as part of a trip funded by the campaign," Gibbs said.
And he had already visited wounded troops in Iraq and at Walter Reed!
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080725/pl_nm/usa_obama_germany_troops_dc_2

What does it say about the people who make up this CRAP?!! Do you really want to be with them? "By their deeds, you shall know them." Liars and cheats!

And BTW, I DO support our troops! I don't want them over there being maimed, traumatized and killed because of lies that were told to our country; by the same people who don't take care of them when they make it home! I want them home, safe and sound!

Willow
07-26-2008, 04:46 AM
I support the troops but not Bush's war.

PrincessArky
07-26-2008, 04:46 AM
I support our troops, my son is going back for a third time in 09..My husband was in Marines and my dad was in Air Force and my brother that was killed was at one time in the Army. We have several family members in Military or have served.

please tell them all from me my family very much thanx them for all they have done to protect us.

This is complete BULLSHOT! Check it out on snopes.com, where they show it's a lie and the guy who wrote it backed down and asked that people stop forwarding it! http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/afghanistan.asp

Oh, and as far as his cancelled trip to visit wounded troops in Germany, it was because the Pentagon told his advisor (a retired 2 star general!) that it would be viewed as too political and wasn't appropriate.
"The senator decided out of respect for these servicemen and women that it would be inappropriate to make a stop to visit troops at a U.S. military facility as part of a trip funded by the campaign," Gibbs said.
And he had already visited wounded troops in Iraq and at Walter Reed!
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080725/pl_nm/usa_obama_germany_troops_dc_2

What does it say about the people who make up this CRAP?!! Do you really want to be with them? "By their deeds, you shall know them." Liars and cheats!

And BTW, I DO support our troops! I don't want them over there being maimed, traumatized and killed because of lies that were told to our country; by the same people who don't take care of them when they make it home! I want them home, safe and sound!

I do NOT like Obama but as soon as I read this post I KNEW it was BS. Thank you so much for clearing this up. I have told ppl before do YOUR research on all the ones running but I guess some ppl would just rather believe what is sent in an email. I do and always will support my troops. AT the same time as I don't like Obama IF he becomes President I will support him because he will in fact be my President.

andreame70
07-26-2008, 05:10 AM
I too do not particularly care for Obama, but I think it is deplorable that emails filled with absolute lies about him or any other candidate can so easily be circulated and believed. Just because it is in an email, that doesn't make it true.

According to snopes, the writer of the email is now recanting his story and saying that it was only meant for his family to read. Ok, so he didn't mean for his lies to spread all over the internet, he just meant to lie to his family. Isn't that great?

Everyone should take the time to check up on stories like this through snopes before assuming that they are factual. Remember how everyone was so upset over the emails that said Starbucks and Oscar Mayer supposedly didn't support our troops? I remember another that circulated about Target not supporting Toys for Tots and how they supposedly would not allow the Salvation Army bell ringers. All of those were also false, but because people chose to believe, they were all in an uproar about it. Shameful, to say the least.

Willow
07-26-2008, 05:30 AM
I too do not particularly care for Obama, but I think it is deplorable that emails filled with absolute lies about him or any other candidate can so easily be circulated and believed. Just because it is in an email, that doesn't make it true.

According to snopes, the writer of the email is now recanting his story and saying that it was only meant for his family to read. Ok, so he didn't mean for his lies to spread all over the internet, he just meant to lie to his family. Isn't that great?

Everyone should take the time to check up on stories like this through snopes before assuming that they are factual. Remember how everyone was so upset over the emails that said Starbucks and Oscar Mayer supposedly didn't support our troops? I remember another that circulated about Target not supporting Toys for Tots and how they supposedly would not allow the Salvation Army bell ringers. All of those were also false, but because people chose to believe, they were all in an uproar about it. Shameful, to say the least.

The one about the bell ringers is true. At least in our area. My dh and I used to belong to a Salvation Army church and Target would not allow bell ringers.

PrincessArky
07-26-2008, 05:32 AM
The one about the bell ringers is true. At least in our area. My dh and I used to belong to a Salvation Army church and Target would not allow bell ringers.

Honestly I wish walmart and other stores were the same way......I believe if someone wants to give thats great but I get sick of every door I walk into at Christmas time having them there....same with girl scouts but thats a different beef lol

Willow
07-26-2008, 05:42 AM
Honestly I wish walmart and other stores were the same way......I believe if someone wants to give thats great but I get sick of every door I walk into at Christmas time having them there....same with girl scouts but thats a different beef lol

I was asked to be a bell ringer but I didn't do it. I did organize the Angel Tree program a couple of years ago but I had no interest in doing the bell ringing. Some people love doing it. They do get paid to do it. A lot of people from our church did it and I think they got paid $7 an hour if I remember correctly. It does seem like you can't go anywhere nowadays without someone collecting money for something. We give when we can but I feel bad when we can't and people just look at you like why aren't you giving us any money. lol

PrincessArky
07-26-2008, 05:47 AM
I was asked to be a bell ringer but I didn't do it. I did organize the Angel Tree program a couple of years ago but I had no interest in doing the bell ringing. Some people love doing it. They do get paid to do it. A lot of people from our church did it and I think they got paid $7 an hour if I remember correctly. It does seem like you can't go anywhere nowadays without someone collecting money for something. We give when we can but I feel bad when we can't and people just look at you like why aren't you giving us any money. lol

I used to always get an angel off the tree but I cant afford it anymore BUT I do always donate a few small toys and whatever I can afford at the time.

I had NO idea they got paid now knowing that I dont think I will donate to any of them......unless someone shows me proof they all donate what they get paid back to the charity. I do donate to some of them when I got into a store....just last week there was a softball team (nope not in my town but 50 miles away) looking for donations to help them go to Nationals......they are 30 and 0.....I actually went and bought a soda from subway so I would have change and gave them a $5

freeby4me
07-26-2008, 06:01 AM
I used to always get an angel off the tree but I cant afford it anymore BUT I do always donate a few small toys and whatever I can afford at the time.

I had NO idea they got paid now knowing that I dont think I will donate to any of them......unless someone shows me proof they all donate what they get paid back to the charity. I do donate to some of them when I got into a store....just last week there was a softball team (nope not in my town but 50 miles away) looking for donations to help them go to Nationals......they are 30 and 0.....I actually went and bought a soda from subway so I would have change and gave them a $5

Around here, people who are in need of work do the bell ringing. I dont know exactly who their check comes from but its not like they take the money out of the buckets.
Sometimes them being a bell ringer means food on their table.

PrincessArky
07-26-2008, 06:06 AM
Around here, people who are in need of work do the bell ringing. I dont know exactly who their check comes from but its not like they take the money out of the buckets.
Sometimes them being a bell ringer means food on their table.

oh I am sure it doesnt come out of the bucket but it would come from the charity. I know ppl need to work especially now but when it comes to charity work that shouldnt be paid for.......thats why I have over the yrs stopped many of the charities I used to give to.........so much of the money was going to the ones collecting it

Willow
07-26-2008, 06:31 AM
I was really suprised when I found out that they got paid for doing it. I thought it was something you volunteered for.

andreame70
07-26-2008, 06:47 AM
I didn't realize that the Salvation Army was banned from Target in some areas. I remember donating to the bell ringers at our local Target last Christmas. I read just now that it is a company policy of theirs not to allow solicitation of any kind by any one. However as a company they donated to the Salvation Army (also known in Canada as the Sally Ann.)

"In 2006, the Salvation Army announced that Target had launched a multi-faceted Christmas partnership with them that would include an online version of the Salvation Army's Angel Tree Program and a donation by Target of $1 Million dollars to get that up and running. Target also promised to donate 100% of the proceeds from the sales of a limited edition Harvey Lewis angel ornament accented with red Swarovski crystals to the Sally Ann/ Salvation Army."

I guess Target decided to donate in other ways which is still a good thing, even if they don't allow the bell ringers in some areas.

freeby4me
07-26-2008, 07:01 AM
oh I am sure it doesnt come out of the bucket but it would come from the charity. I know ppl need to work especially now but when it comes to charity work that shouldnt be paid for.......thats why I have over the yrs stopped many of the charities I used to give to.........so much of the money was going to the ones collecting it

Yea, very true. Salvation Army is just a business, like any other business.

MistyWolf
07-26-2008, 08:35 AM
My thoughts about Obama have nothing to do with this original post .. I don't like him .. never did, never will. I don't like Hillary either, so I wouldn't have supported her either if she were in Obama's position right now.

IF I was an Obama fan, I wouldn't have changed my mind based on an email I received.

Jenefer3
07-26-2008, 08:54 AM
Around here, they look for volunteers to do the bell ringing, but if they can't find enough, then they will pay people to do it. Our Target doesn't allow them to do it but our Target is right next to our mall, so there's tons of bell ringers to be found. Honestly, sometimes it's nice to be able to walk into that store without hearing that noise, but I still give to them or I should say my kids do

msmom79
07-26-2008, 09:06 AM
I support the troops but not Bush's war.

i totally agree with this

vicky122
07-26-2008, 09:53 AM
I do support our troops. Have family in the Marines and Army. I also give to the Salation army. I don't think I wouldn't give because they pay the bell ringers. At least it is giving people jobs and that is what Savation Army is about really. All I know when we had our fire Salvation Army was there and gave us clothes and things we would need. They put us in a hotel for 3 days and had something set up with Bob Evans that we could eat there for 3 days up to a 150.00.

quietvixsin
07-26-2008, 11:01 AM
Most of the email like this (for both sides) is suspect. This came from a friend who knows the author so I believe it is what the author experienced.

I removed the name of the Captain who wrote this so as not to forward his name around the world.

Hmmm.... Supposedly the OP personally knows a friend of the author so that's why she believed and posted this. If that is the case, being that we now know this is a hoax letter, I would seriously re-evaluate that "friend".

I think it is more likely that the OP just copied this from another site and cut and pasted it as is. No harm intended, but I really HATE it when ppl just cut and paste something without checking it out, knowing if it's true or not, etc, especially if there is anything included that would make a reader think the OP had personal knowledge of an issue. I guess this is more of a "vent/whine" but since the original post is in this section, I can't very well post about it over there.

MistyWolf
07-26-2008, 12:15 PM
Do you honestly think ppl are going to base their decisions on who they elect by an email??

If that was the case, than we as American's are in serious trouble!

quietvixsin
07-26-2008, 12:40 PM
Do you honestly think ppl are going to base their decisions on who they elect by an email??

Unfortunately, there are millions of Americans who will/may do just that. We are a "spoonfed" nation in many ways and people are very willing to believe "what they read somewhere" without bothering to check out the facts and base serious decisions on less than accurate information. Just look at the first few responses to this post as an example.

I am actually still amazed when I read comments about Obama calling him things like JACKASS, Terrorist, etc... I have yet to see anyone be able to articulate in an intelligent manner why they dislike him, they have yet to put forth one factual thing that they can point to as a reason for the dislike, but they find it all to easy to call him such inflammatory things. Based on what??? I am very open minded and will listen to and actually consider any intelligent discourse on facts. Though I have always in the past liked the members who made the above comments I find ironic, I just have to say they have me wondering if maybe there "neck" is showing a little and that is coloring they way they feel about Obama rather than the facts.

So to answer your question MistyWolf.... yes, we as Americans are in deep doo doo!

MistyWolf
07-26-2008, 12:47 PM
People think Obama is a terrorist because of his name and religion. Do I? .. No. I personally was for Obama over Hillary, but I am Republican and will vote that way. If I was Democrat I'd vote for Obama.

Maybe I have blinders on (I think not), but I give American's more credit than to base their opinions and make judgements, or important decisions like leadership over an email.

But you are right and there will be a hand full of ppl who do base their decisions like that, which is sad.

quietvixsin
07-26-2008, 01:12 PM
But you are right and there will be a hand full of ppl who do base their decisions like that, which is sad.

Unfortunately Misty, I think it will be a whole lot more than a "handful", seriously! Our society has gone to hell in a handbasket basically. If you have any doubt, just go somewhere and walk among "them".

atprm
07-26-2008, 02:11 PM
I am retired Navy, My first husband is retired Navy, my second husband served in the US Navy... My Father served in the Navy AND the Air Force, and my oldest daughter is in the Navy.

We are a very proud NAVY family and I support the troops 1000% percent and am THANKFUL to the parents that raised our troops!

I also support the war and the war efforts -- because you can't support the troops without supporting the job that they are presently doing...

freeby4me
07-26-2008, 02:24 PM
I am retired Navy, My first husband is retired Navy, my second husband served in the US Navy... My Father served in the Navy AND the Air Force, and my oldest daughter is in the Navy.

We are a very proud NAVY family and I support the troops 1000% percent and am THANKFUL to the parents that raised our troops!

I also support the war and the war efforts -- because you can't support the troops without supporting the job that they are presently doing...

That is 100% untrue.

DBackFan
07-26-2008, 02:35 PM

That is 100% TRUE

as for quietvixsin's remark aimed at me (JACKASS) I call em like I see him and I certainly don't owe you or anyone else explanations on why I would vote the way I will in this election. Do I like Obama...NO, is it any of your business why? Hell NO.

waterfalls
07-26-2008, 03:08 PM
Yes i do support our troops.My father was in the Navy,he was in the Vietnam War and my father in law was also in the Navy,he was a frogman.

quietvixsin
07-26-2008, 03:12 PM
That is 100% TRUE

as for quietvixsin's remark aimed at me (JACKASS) I call em like I see him and I certainly don't owe you or anyone else explanations on why I would vote the way I will in this election. Do I like Obama...NO, is it any of your business why? Hell NO.

LOL you are very amusing DBack. My my, so defensive.... No, nobody owes me an explanation nor did I ever ask directly for one. I am allowed to post an opinion, ask a question or just plain ponder a subject just like anyone else is. I wasn't speaking directly to you, only commenting on something you voluntarily posted in an public forum. If anything I had to say hit a nerve, that is your problem, not mine. If you have such thin skin that you can't handle other people posting or commenting on what YOU yourself put out there, you really probably shouldn't post in public forums at all. I think I'll just point you to my sig line, as that really says it all. 'Nuff said....

tngirl
07-26-2008, 04:12 PM
I believe I have mentioned before why I do not like Obama. He is a racist, plain and simple. He and his wife have NO respect for our country and have no problem making that view public...for the entire WORLD to see, btw. Why do you believe he is so popular in Europe? Yeah, go look that up. I refuse to vote for someone to take over the most powerful position in this country that has no problem belittling it and the people that live here.

He also has no experience. He is a freshman senator that has accomplished nothing as of yet. And he still has yet to explain this "Change" he is talking about. All I hear so far is just a bunch of lip service. Yes, this country needs change, but why would I vote for someone that makes that his mantra and does not offer the solution. Do I need to go on? I can you know.

Njean31
07-26-2008, 04:20 PM
I believe I have mentioned before why I do not like Obama. He is a racist, plain and simple. He and his wife have NO respect for our country and have no problem making that view public...for the entire WORLD to see, btw. Why do you believe he is so popular in Europe? Yeah, go look that up. I refuse to vote for someone to take over the most powerful position in this country that has no problem belittling it and the people that live here.

He also has no experience. He is a freshman senator that has accomplished nothing as of yet. And he still has yet to explain this "Change" he is talking about. All I hear so far is just a bunch of lip service. Yes, this country needs change, but why would I vote for someone that makes that his mantra and does not offer the solution. Do I need to go on? I can you know.

:yeah

DBackFan
07-26-2008, 04:37 PM
LOL If you have such thin skin that you can't handle other people posting or commenting on what YOU yourself put out there, you really probably shouldn't post in public forums at all.

You know you are laughable. YOU are the one who couldn't "come right out with it". I called him a Jacksass..he IS a Jackass. Just don't beat around the BUSH with me I don't have thin skin at all but I'll be damned if anyone is going to call me out "sort of"...either do it or stay the hell away. ;) I can take it, give it all ya got.

tngirl I agree with a LOT of your reasons

quietvixsin
07-26-2008, 04:46 PM
Tn, while I don't agree with you I do respect that you at least put forth your opinion in a tasteful manner and at least have what you feel is a valid reason for your opinion. What gets me is people that want to sling rubbish with no facts whatsoever and then get prickly if someone points out the irony of it.

I will admit that I am not as well versed politically as my husband is. He opens my eyes to many things and helps keep me "tuned in" politically. Even we don't agree on every single point, yet somehow we manage to have lively, healthy discussion and debate almost daily. I personally have not seen what you call "racism" coming from him, but I am certainly open enough to read even more, go research some and see if I can get a glimpse of what you are referring to.

Anyway, thank you for posting civilly and not getting your panties in a bunch because someone didn't agree with you.

MistyWolf
07-26-2008, 04:47 PM
Unfortunately Misty, I think it will be a whole lot more than a "handful", seriously! Our society has gone to hell in a handbasket basically. If you have any doubt, just go somewhere and walk among "them".

I don't mean handful in a literal sense! .. And I have no doubt .. trust me .. I am not naive to this world and it's ongoings.

quietvixsin
07-26-2008, 05:01 PM
You know you are laughable. YOU are the one who couldn't "come right out with it". I called him a Jacksass..he IS a Jackass. Just don't beat around the BUSH with me I don't have thin skin at all but I'll be damned if anyone is going to call me out "sort of"...either do it or stay the hell away. ;) I can take it, give it all ya got.

tngirl I agree with a LOT of your reasons

DB, I was in no way "calling you out sort of" in my first post. It was a general commentary at something I found odd, sad, disarming, etc.... A post that you made was referenced in a general sense. Your response to mine was kind of extreme, but not totally surprising. Yes, you DO have thin skin whether you can admit that or not. If you didn't, then someone simply referencing what you yourself wrote wouldn't get your panties in a bunch. I don't believe I was off base at all when I said that some people's "necks" were showing and you have proven my point. As I sit and read each line you write, the banjo just gets louder.....

atprm
07-26-2008, 05:28 PM
I am a straight ticket republican -- but... before I would vote Obama into office, I would vote in Kwame Kilpatrick (FAMOUS mayor of Detroit) into Sainthood...and since the likelihood of that happening is um, NEVER... well you get the picture.

People don't have to post their reasoning why they don't like Obama, Vixsen, you should just leave it alone...as they aren't looking for approval, disapproval or seeking justification in their beliefs.

atprm
07-26-2008, 05:30 PM
Originally Posted by quietvixsin View Post

YOU are part of "them"..as is every US Citizen.

quietvixsin
07-26-2008, 06:02 PM
People don't have to post their reasoning why they don't like Obama, Vixsen, you should just leave it alone...as they aren't looking for approval, disapproval or seeking justification in their beliefs.

And I never asked them to. My point is simply that I find it sad that people are so quick to use very vile, inflammatory language towards or about someone without at least including a little background information or facts as to what makes them feel that way. While I absolutely hate to throw the race card out there, it is what it is. I believe the racism comes from the people throwing the muck, not the candidate. And no, I won't just leave it alone, as I have just as much right to post an opinion here as the next person. If they don't want their "rubbish" mentioned or discussed, then I say don't put it out there. Once it's out. it's fair game.

tngirl
07-26-2008, 06:05 PM
And we talk about people having their head in the sand? Tell me, how could he have been a member of that church for soooo long and not have the same leanings as they do? The church spews racism and supports militants. So please, explain how this to me?

quietvixsin
07-26-2008, 06:05 PM
YOU are part of "them"..as is every US Citizen.

You are obviously mistaken as to what I meant by referring to "them", unless you think the entire American population are ignorant, racist people, or nutjobs, etc.... And no, I am not one of "them".

quietvixsin
07-26-2008, 06:09 PM
And we talk about people having their head in the sand? Tell me, how could he have been a member of that church for soooo long and not have the same leanings as they do? The church spews racism and supports militants. So please, explain how this to me?

Tn... have been at work and am now leaving to head home. I'd be more than happy to have a civil conversation with you on this subject. I don't condone what was "preached", but I do understand where it comes from. More later, if you truly want to have a healthy friendly conversation about it I'm game.

heartlvrs
07-26-2008, 06:32 PM
My thoughts about Obama have nothing to do with this original post .. I don't like him .. never did, never will. I don't like Hillary either, so I wouldn't have supported her either if she were in Obama's position right now.

IF I was an Obama fan, I wouldn't have changed my mind based on an email I received.

big giant ditto!!!

heartlvrs
07-26-2008, 06:33 PM

PRECISELY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mosdata1
07-26-2008, 07:59 PM

Unfortunately, yes I do believe that people will believe almost anything they are told. Look at how the Bush campaign (swiftboat) attacked John McCain in 2000. Now suddenly he is great. They did the same thing to Kerry. Both are better men than Bush could ever hope to be (IMO). Those lies, under the guise of informational ads, killed their campaigns.

Mom2Shaun
07-26-2008, 11:00 PM
And those who tell lies show that their candidate can't stand on the FACTS. So they have to make up stuff about the opposing candidate. Doesn't that tell you something?!

BTW, how can Obama be a racist if he was raised by his white mother's family? Why is Jesse Jackson upset with him for what he considered "talking down to black people"?

janelle
07-26-2008, 11:06 PM
And those who tell lies show that their candidate can't stand on the FACTS. So they have to make up stuff about the opposing candidate. Doesn't that tell you something?!

BTW, how can Obama be a racist if he was raised by his white mother's family? Why is Jesse Jackson upset with him for what he considered "talking down to black people"?

Obama says in his book he identifies more with his father's side and also he is uncomfortable with his white side. He threw his white grandmother under the bus to defend his pastor who is radical talking about whites and how the government created AIDS to use against blacks.

Jesse Jackson did not like Obama's speech on Father's Day at a black church telling black men to step up and be good fathers to their children. He thought it was talking down to black people but a lot of people in the black community would agree with the statements Obama made.

janelle
07-26-2008, 11:10 PM
Unfortunately, yes I do believe that people will believe almost anything they are told. Look at how the Bush campaign (swiftboat) attacked John McCain in 2000. Now suddenly he is great. They did the same thing to Kerry. Both are better men than Bush could ever hope to be (IMO). Those lies, under the guise of informational ads, killed their campaigns.

Kerry did not help his campaign when he changed his mind so much on issues. That is where the Waffle House jokes came in.

Bush HAS to support McCain now just as Hillary HAS to support Obama now. They may not like it but it is the reality.

Bahet
07-26-2008, 11:40 PM
You ought to make sure your friend knows her "friend" is a liar so she isn't suckered in by him anymore.

Sadly yes, many people think Obama is a Muslim because of emails. Many people think he refuses to say the Pledge because of emails. Many people will now think he snubs the troops because of emails. If I liked a candidate then "discovered" that he was an America hating Muslim who mistreated our troops he would lose my vote.

Sure you can. Or are you saying that the tens of thousands of our troops who don't support the war are actually against themselves?

He was a state senator since 1995 and has been in the US Senate since 2004. He has accomplished a lot and tried to accomplish even more, including increased funding for vets. He also has a LOT more experience than Bush did.

I've been a Catholic since birth. I still consider myself Catholic although not a practicing one and one dealing with my own problems with the faith. But I don't and never did have all the same leanings they do. I am pro choice. I think women should be allowed to be priests. I think priests should be allowed to marry. So, if it's possible for me to be a Catholic for 38 years and not believe every single aspect, even a lot of the major ones, of the Catholic church then why should it be impossible for someone else to be in the same position regarding their church an its doctrines?

janelle
07-27-2008, 12:00 AM
I've been a Catholic since birth. I still consider myself Catholic although not a practicing one and one dealing with my own problems with the faith. But I don't and never did have all the same leanings they do. I am pro choice. I think women should be allowed to be priests. I think priests should be allowed to marry. So, if it's possible for me to be a Catholic for 38 years and not believe every single aspect, even a lot of the major ones, of the Catholic church then why should it be impossible for someone else to be in the same position regarding their church an its doctrines?
================================================== ========

But that is just it. If one does not agree with practically all the beliefs of the organization, church, country they belong to then why stay? Why is Obama trying to become the president if he does not believe in what America stands for?

It makes people believe he wants to change the whole thing when he gets in there. He will be the one in charge then.

Bahet
07-27-2008, 12:49 AM
What does America stand for that Obama wants to change? America stands for entenpreneurship. I haven't heard anything about him being against it. America stands for freedom of speech. He's not against that. America stands for a government of the people, by the people, and for the people. Bush is obviously against that and Obama wants to change it back. America stands for freedom of religion. He's in favor of that. America stands for equal rights for all. McCain is the one against that, not Obama.

freeby4me
07-27-2008, 05:12 AM
What does America stand for that Obama wants to change? America stands for entenpreneurship. I haven't heard anything about him being against it. America stands for freedom of speech. He's not against that. America stands for a government of the people, by the people, and for the people. Bush is obviously against that and Obama wants to change it back. America stands for freedom of religion. He's in favor of that. America stands for equal rights for all. McCain is the one against that, not Obama.

You said it all Bahet. Obama is against any one religion having more rights and powers than any others. Therefor, every Christian who feels their religion is more important is going to be against Obama.

Fair and Equal to all only means if you're a Christian in this country.

evrita
07-27-2008, 06:56 AM
Spud in 08

tarasdream
07-27-2008, 08:19 AM
http://blogsforjohnmccain.com/obama-replaces-us-flag-campaign-plane-enormous-obama-o-picturesthis is true because i saw it on the news

also terriosts flag on obama office

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POkHs4Xwo5M

lucimPI
07-27-2008, 09:32 AM
Hmmm.... Supposedly the OP personally knows a friend of the author so that's why she believed and posted this. If that is the case, being that we now know this is a hoax letter, I would seriously re-evaluate that "friend".

I think it is more likely that the OP just copied this from another site and cut and pasted it as is. No harm intended, but I really HATE it when ppl just cut and paste something without checking it out, knowing if it's true or not, etc, especially if there is anything included that would make a reader think the OP had personal knowledge of an issue. I guess this is more of a "vent/whine" but since the original post is in this section, I can't very well post about it over there.

I am so sorry that I ever posted this. At the time I received it, it was sent by someone that I totally trust and I still do. I did not even think to check Snopes as I am sure he did not either. There is no need to re-evaluate my friend because I am sure that he is sorrier than I am. I did not copy and paste it from another site, I truly believe that my friend thought he was correct and would not have passed it on if he had not thought that.

As for Obama, since I live in Illinois, I know what he has done and has not done while in the senate.
To be very honest, I don't care for either of the candidates for president, and at this point will probably not vote for either one.

I am truly sorry that some nastyness has come up due to my posting. I am very sorry and I would appreciate if any moderator on here would put a lock on this. I think enought has been said on the issue.

Once again my apologies to each and every one of you that has read this, I am sorry that I did not check it out with Snopes.

MistyWolf
07-27-2008, 09:36 AM
I don't think anything nasty is going on because of your post. People are just conversing back and forth and if you want my opinion, it's been fairly civil.

And you have nothing to be sorry for. Nor do you need to explain anything pertaining to your friend ;)