PDA

View Full Version : Appetizer help, please!

teenap
07-25-2008, 07:26 AM
LOL

I have to bring an appetizer to a cook out tomorrow and I am stumped!

throw your favorite recipes at me

Willow
07-25-2008, 07:31 AM
Some people might think this sounds gross but I love it. lol Whenever we had any type of family get togethers my sister in law's mother always brought a crock pot full of sausages and maple syrup. She used the breakfast sausages. She didn't cook them in the crock pot though. She only used it to transport them in.

Airbuswife
07-25-2008, 08:17 AM
Some people might think this sound gross but I love it. lol Whenever we had any type of family get togethers my sister in law's mother always brought a crock pot full of sausages and maple syrup. She used the breakfast sausages. She didn't cook them in the crock pot though. She only used it to transport them in.

my sister in law would always bring kilbasse (sp) cut up and cooked in brown sugar, YUMMY!! sounds similar to that :)

i LOVE buffalo dip so thats what i usually take, its so easy and everyone usually likes it too. its just cream cheese, hot sauce and chicken, then you buy the dipper chips. some people just use the canned chunk chicken, but i cook some tenders with onions and get some good flavors going, and use that. Put it all into a small crockpot and mix and go :)

Hockeymama
07-25-2008, 08:21 AM
I love making Pepper Shooters..
use the hot Cherry Peppers... cut off the top , take out the seeds then stuff with a chunk of sharp provalone cheese wrapped with Prosciutto (Italian Ham)

These always go quick!!!

teenap
07-25-2008, 08:30 AM
I love buffalo dip and peppers also, but there will be someone there that is allergic to peppers, figures....

freeby4me
07-25-2008, 08:32 AM
Go to kraftfoods.com and check out the appetizer section, you should be able to find a crowd-pleasure for sure!

freeby4me
07-25-2008, 08:36 AM
A few that I want to try are

http://www.kraftfoods.com/kf/recipes/zesty-stuffed-olives-107516.aspx

http://www.kraftfoods.com/kf/recipes/vidalia-onion-dip-107262.aspx

http://www.kraftfoods.com/kf/recipes/mini-cheese-balls-89886.aspx

and I have tried these, these are super good.

http://www.kraftfoods.com/kf/recipes/cream-cheese-bacon-crescents-89951.aspx

magenta
07-25-2008, 09:23 AM
Jello shots.

That is my fav. appetizer!

Lild
07-25-2008, 09:39 AM
Jello shots.

That is my fav. appetizer!
YUMMY
I agree...can't go wrong unless you leave em down where kids can get them:slap

DBackFan
07-25-2008, 09:47 AM
If it was me since it is a cookout I would just bring cut up fresh fruit or a veggie tray. I got fresh pineapple yeaterday and OMG it was so yummy..put a few fresh strawberries and some melons or something...good stuff.

leanne
07-25-2008, 09:56 AM
pinwheels

flour tortillas
cream cheese
ham or turkey lunch meat(which ever one you want to use)
cheese slices

lay out your tortilla and spread cream cheese on it.lay your meat and cheese slices on top of that and then roll up and cut.very easy to make and tastes really good.

diana_circe
07-25-2008, 11:04 AM
Seeded prunes stuffed with a green olive (pimento included) and wrapped in a slice of bacon, stick a toothpick in to keep the bacon in place. Bake at 350* until the bacon is done, a little crisper, but not burnt.

Sounds funky, but they taste sweet and sour and are always a big hit.

tarasdream
07-25-2008, 11:16 AM
potato salad and baked beans are always good. but i usually make ham from the deli sliced a little thicker then normal, put a little cream cheese in the middle and then lay a green onion on top of that and roll it up hold together with a tooth pick, they go like crazy, also everyone loves pepperroni, cheese and ritz crackers. also meat balls and barbq sauce in the crockpot

delSol
07-25-2008, 11:32 AM
take jimmy dean and roll into small balls - you can either cook them in a pan or just throw em in the oven till done - put in the crock pot with any kind of bbq sauce and you will not believe how fast these go

nightrider127
07-25-2008, 11:36 AM
Guess I am lazy. Cocktail weiners cooked in a good bar b que sauce in the crock pot or salami roll ups. All you have to do for the roll ups is get some hard salami from the deli, cream cheese, roll it up and stick a tooth pick through the whole thing. The roll up and weiners never fail to please, at least at the bar b ques around here.

janelle
07-25-2008, 12:13 PM
I usually just pick up a tray from the store. Drives my hubby crazy since he wants me to make it myself. DUH, ok if you want it homemade do it yourself---then he does, he can cook great. Then we go to the party and someone else has brought a tray from the store. It never bothers me. Those trays are good. LOL

catdance
07-25-2008, 01:33 PM
I like this idea..I do this often at my BBQ'S..I do a TACO PLATTER...First, get a big glass or some kind of plate and put it in the fridge or freezer, for a few minutes...
I make me own refried beans, but canned works.
First layer..smear the beans over the platter/plate.
Add:
Salsa
And layer:
Mixed shredded cheese
Shredded lettuce
Diced tomatoes
Diced Onions
Sliced Olives
Dolp Sour Cream on top and perhaps a side of Salsa and Guacamole...
You get the idea..
Bring a bag of Tortilla Chips, I make my own, but I hope this is useful!

Shann
07-25-2008, 02:38 PM
I like this idea..I do this often at my BBQ'S..I do a TACO PLATTER...First, get a big glass or some kind of plate and put it in the fridge or freezer, for a few minutes...
I make me own refried beans, but canned works.
First layer..smear the beans over the platter/plate.
Add:
Salsa
And layer:
Mixed shredded cheese
Shredded lettuce
Diced tomatoes
Diced Onions
Sliced Olives
Dolp Sour Cream on top and perhaps a side of Salsa and Guacamole...
You get the idea..

yum all but the beans sound delicious! it looks like you got a lot of good ideas. I really like the idea of fruit and veggies for those who don't eat meat or a potato salad kind of thing. Enjoy the BBQ :)

VenuStar
07-25-2008, 03:23 PM

How do you make the tortilla chips?

teenap
07-26-2008, 07:06 AM
thanks everyone, I am going to do the Bacon cream cheese crescent rolls!

freeby4me
07-26-2008, 08:04 AM
thanks everyone, I am going to do the Bacon cream cheese crescent rolls!

They are super yummy!! I made them for Christmas one year!

Urban Cowgirl
07-26-2008, 08:25 AM
my sister in law would always bring kilbasse (sp) cut up and cooked in brown sugar, YUMMY!! sounds similar to that :)

i LOVE buffalo dip so thats what i usually take, its so easy and everyone usually likes it too. its just cream cheese, hot sauce and chicken, then you buy the dipper chips. some people just use the canned chunk chicken, but i cook some tenders with onions and get some good flavors going, and use that. Put it all into a small crockpot and mix and go :)

this is what I am taking today.

Mine is cream cheese, blue cheese dressing, hot sauce, chicken and mozz cheese and you bake it.. yum

freeby4me
07-26-2008, 08:27 AM
this is what I am taking today.

Mine is cream cheese, blue cheese dressing, hot sauce, chicken and mozz cheese and you bake it.. yum

I've never had the blu cheese dressing, does it taste OK?

Oh my gosh, I have so got to stay outta this thread, my tummy is rumbling lol

gmyers
07-26-2008, 09:06 AM
Seven layer dip

1 can refried beans
8 0z. avocado dip
8 oz. sour cream
16 oz. salsa
1 bunch green onions,chopped
1 pkg.cheddar cheese
1 Sm. jar jalapeno

Layer ingredientsin a 8x11x2 inch dish. Layer as follows:Refried beans, avocado dip, sour cream, salsa, green onions, cheddar cheese, jalapeno peppers. I don't use the jalapeno peppers in mine.
I like to make it the night before where it'll be more firm for dipping.

teenap
07-26-2008, 05:29 PM
I made the bacon cream cheese crescents and everybody LOVED them and asked for the recipe!
Thanks again!

freeby4me
07-26-2008, 05:37 PM
Ohh good, Im glad it was such a hit. It makes me want to make them again!! Yummy.

In case anyone is wondering, my post before with the four links, the last link is the cream cheese bacon crescents.

Urban Cowgirl
07-27-2008, 05:31 PM
I've never had the blu cheese dressing, does it taste OK?

Oh my gosh, I have so got to stay outta this thread, my tummy is rumbling lol

Sorry it took so long..... Bleu cheese dressing has a slighly sharper flavor than ranch IMO. My recipe actually calls for bleu cheese crumbles instead of the mozz cheese.........but since a lot of people don't care for bleu cheese I use the mozz instead and it mellows out the flavor. For myself its bleu cheese all the way, I love it.

The dip was a huge hit at the bbq I went to. Had many requests for the recipe.

freeby4me
07-28-2008, 04:44 AM
Sorry it took so long..... Bleu cheese dressing has a slighly sharper flavor than ranch IMO. My recipe actually calls for bleu cheese crumbles instead of the mozz cheese.........but since a lot of people don't care for bleu cheese I use the mozz instead and it mellows out the flavor. For myself its bleu cheese all the way, I love it.

The dip was a huge hit at the bbq I went to. Had many requests for the recipe.

Ok thank you. I have always thought about trying the dressing on my spicy chicken wings or something but i've been too skeered lol

dispatcher
07-28-2008, 05:35 AM
potato salad and baked beans are always good. but i usually make ham from the deli sliced a little thicker then normal, put a little cream cheese in the middle and then lay a green onion on top of that and roll it up hold together with a tooth pick, they go like crazy, also everyone loves pepperroni, cheese and ritz crackers. also meat balls and barbq sauce in the crockpot

same thing i always do lol