PDA

View Full Version : How Many work for minimum wage?

tsquared
07-24-2008, 10:35 AM
today is the second increment of the minimum wage increase...........so how many work for minimum wage?

speedygirl
07-24-2008, 10:40 AM
I would work for minimum wage if I had no other choice. That said, I am fortunate to have a good job in this economy. I'll always keep food on the table for my family if I ever lost this job. Where I live the minimum wage is $8.00 an hour. It is so different from state to state. Take a look at the differences!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S.A._minimum_wages

Explorer 4x4'r
07-24-2008, 10:58 AM
would be nice if all wages for everyone went up by $.70

Willow
07-24-2008, 11:00 AM
It's $8 here as well. I don't know how anyone could live off of that. Especially someone taking care of a family.

nanajoanie
07-24-2008, 11:24 AM
I could make more money working for $8.00 an hour than I make in a month on social security.

dinosmom
07-24-2008, 11:37 AM
There is no way I could survive on minimum wage where I live. We have the highest sales tax in the nation! Plus everything is more expensive. We usually have one of the highest gas prices too. I honestly dont know how people do it.

Vee030473
07-24-2008, 12:24 PM
I don't work for minimum wage,I make over twice what the minimum wage is for the state of Maine. But if I had to,I would do whatever it took to take care of my family.

PrincessArky
07-24-2008, 01:59 PM
My last job was min wage as one the one before that AND min wage then was only $5.85 and that has only been 4 yrs ago

Anig2u
07-24-2008, 02:03 PM
I work for the Post Office..so no I don't, haven't since I was 21..when I worked at a shoe factory minimum wage..horrible place to work....lol.

ttistin
07-24-2008, 02:42 PM
No I don't get paid minimum wage, I work in the school system. Min wage went up to 6.55 today. I don't know how people can live off that with a family and bills.

Willow
07-24-2008, 03:05 PM
When I was 16 and got my first job it was in a nursing home. I worked in housekeeping and the laundry department. I started off at a little over $5 an hour. I had to quit when I was 18 because I was pregnant with my oldest and the doctor didn't want me to work anymore. I was making close to $7 when I quit. That was 23 years ago.

Shann
07-24-2008, 03:43 PM
I won't work for minimum wage either, I don't know how anyone can afford to live off of that... it's quite laughable actually :rolleyes:

DBackFan
07-24-2008, 03:53 PM
I fill in for my gym here working behind the desk and as the water aerobics instructor and I only get 8.07 an hour which is minimum here..lol. My husband makes good money plus we own an RV park that generates income so I don't have to support a family thank goodness. I enjoy working there plus I get free membership.

msmom79
07-24-2008, 04:04 PM
i'm a waitress i make $3.50 an hour(most people think waitress's and waiters are making big bucks) but its just not like it used to be-some days i dont even make min.wage-but its because everything has went up-this gas increase,has really hurt the tips i used to get-i thank god every day that my sons are raised,otherwise i wouldnt make it. min wage here right now is $7 -and for a waitress its $3.50.

cpbaby
07-24-2008, 05:10 PM
i'm a waitress i make $3.50 an hour(most people think waitress's and waiters are making big bucks) but its just not like it used to be-some days i dont even make min.wage-but its because everything has went up-this gas increase,has really hurt the tips i used to get-i thank god every day that my sons are raised,otherwise i wouldnt make it. min wage here right now is $7 -and for a waitress its $3.50.

Do they tax you on the tips they think you SHOULD have made? My best friend in high school worked as a waitress for awhile and they always taxed her on the money they THOUGHT she should have made with tips.

JKATHERINE
07-24-2008, 05:22 PM
When I was a waitress it was a very rare occasion that I wouldn't make at LEAST minimum wage when I included my tips with my hourly rate. I did make really good money (for Maine) at the time. It usually averaged between $12-15 an hour.

At the first place that I waited tables, they were super anal about making sure we claimed our tips because if we filed taxes at the end of the year and the IRS found out that we made less than minimum wage, the restaurant was made to compensate any employees the amount in wages they should have made to have always made minimum wage.

As far as minimum wage now, I make more than it. I cannot even imagine trying to raise a family when one or both parents make $7 an hour. It would probably be impossible, I think.

tngirl
07-24-2008, 06:26 PM
All I gotta say is, thank God I don't!

msmom79
07-24-2008, 06:40 PM
Do they tax you on the tips they think you SHOULD have made? My best friend in high school worked as a waitress for awhile and they always taxed her on the money they THOUGHT she should have made with tips.

we have to claim min wage-im not saying i dont make min and alot of times i make over min-but then you have those days when you make nothing-like winter time here is really bad.i'm not complaining-i'm just saying at times it is hard- and our company will compensate us-but our boss goes in and changes our tips if he doesnt like what we put in(i know its agianst the law to do this),but its just what he does-thing is he doesnt make delivery drivers claim their tips and he doesnt claim his either,when he drives-but he makes his waitress's claim theirs!!!!!!! i could go on and on about this one,but i wont

jackie227
07-24-2008, 06:52 PM
I work for min wage, but here in Wv our state min wage is higher than federal,.so I make 7.25 now an hour.
I think we all live within our means, if we make more an hour, we spend more.

DezaRay24
07-24-2008, 08:54 PM
I work a piece rate job. I get paid per call I take. The highest paid call is $0.49. I make sure everyday I avg about 200+ calls because that is about $100 a day and when you divide that its about $12.50 an hour but then if I take more calls or do some OT that helps too. Right now I'm about on avg $13.00 an hour but you can earn up to $16.00 an hour. Closest I got was about $14.xx.
The lowest you can make per hour I think is $7.50 mostly seniors and people who don't like to take calls make that. LOL

The key for us is when its dead and we have no calls you ask to go home and pay yourself PTO since you PTO is paid out at your last paychecks rate you get paid for the rest of the day on an hourly basis. And we get government PTO/Sick pay. I track my pay everyday to see where I’m at for the week.

The calls are quick and you want to be off the phone in about 1.5 mins. I don't plan on leaving my job anytime soon since I think I have the best job security there is since I take calls for Food Stamps/TANF, Unemployment and Child Support cards. When the economy is bad we get more and more calls since everyone is going on government benefits.

VenuStar
07-24-2008, 09:12 PM
Husband and I both do....until we get jobs as teachers.

YankeeMary
07-24-2008, 09:15 PM
I work a piece rate job. I get paid per call I take. The highest paid call is $0.49. I make sure everyday I avg about 200+ calls because that is about $100 a day and when you divide that its about $12.50 an hour but then if I take more calls or do some OT that helps too. Right now I'm about on avg $13.00 an hour but you can earn up to $16.00 an hour. Closest I got was about $14.xx.
The lowest you can make per hour I think is $7.50 mostly seniors and people who don't like to take calls make that. LOL

The key for us is when its dead and we have no calls you ask to go home and pay yourself PTO since you PTO is paid out at your last paychecks rate you get paid for the rest of the day on an hourly basis. And we get government PTO/Sick pay. I track my pay everyday to see where I’m at for the week.

The calls are quick and you want to be off the phone in about 1.5 mins. I don't plan on leaving my job anytime soon since I think I have the best job security there is since I take calls for Food Stamps/TANF, Unemployment and Child Support cards. When the economy is bad we get more and more calls since everyone is going on government benefits.

I bet once you get home from work you never answer your own phone...lol. Thats alot of calls in an 8 hour shift.

DezaRay24
07-24-2008, 09:24 PM
I bet once you get home from work you never answer your own phone...lol. Thats alot of calls in an 8 hour shift.

It is but they are so quick its get em on, get em off, and on to the next one in order to get paid. We I guess are like "Phone Hookers" you could say LOL

Naw, when I get home I don't mind being on the phone just as long as its someone I do want to talk to. I'm usually just really tired I get up at 4am to be at work at 5am

LuvBigRip
07-24-2008, 09:58 PM
The last time i worked for minimum wage, it was $2.85 an hour.

MistyWolf
07-24-2008, 11:33 PM
I work for sever minimum wage which is $3.50/hour BUT I do get tips.

rlynn411
07-25-2008, 05:41 AM
Neither myself or DH work for minimum wage. I make more than twice the minimum and DH makes 4 times the minimum wage.

tngirl
07-25-2008, 05:58 AM
No wonder they don't want to take the time to answer all of your questions...lol.

mimi37
07-25-2008, 10:54 AM
Every job I've ever had from fast food, to telemarketing, toconvenience store, to working in a bank office, paid only minimum wage. Now I make $8.13 an hour. My husband details cars, delivers cars, does minor body work on them and only gets minimum wage.

suprtruckr
07-25-2008, 12:19 PM
I could make more money working for $8.00 an hour than I make in a month on social security.

:yeah

DezaRay24
07-25-2008, 02:54 PM
No wonder they don't want to take the time to answer all of your questions...lol.

Haha! Sometimes but the job I do is only CS for the cards the state issues and not for case info like when they are getting funds and who paid the funds and back pay and benefit questions those go all back to the state but, people don't understand that.

Jean_17764
07-25-2008, 03:25 PM
no,no minimum here.....$14.50hr...I am very lucky to have found this job,very blessed