PDA

View Full Version : Catnip and your kitty

luvcub
07-23-2008, 07:27 AM
Ok so I get some cat nip,not the kind that grows on the corner of your street,or next to the alley,but the kind from Petco,and cant wait to give it to my cat,she looks at me,sniffs it,sniffs it again,and walks away,the other cat tiggy,he did the same thing,so I go to neighbors and get their catnip,try that 1 too,my cat looks at me like your infringing on my time,go away. What in the world,they take the good stuff out of the cat nip now? I remember my cats growing up,they adored the stuff,eat it,look at me cross eyed,doing burnys across the floor,wall,curtains. I guess they just dont make it like they used to,lol.

loveswolfs
07-23-2008, 07:38 AM
I grow my own and then dry it and crush it up and keep in a bowl with a lid. My cats love the stuff. They love it fresh or dried. When i went to the pet store the other day we were looking at some to see how much it cost for a little bag. My daughter was like wow look at this, it has more seeds & stems in it than it does catnip. I take all that junk out for my cats they only get the good stuff :)

Kimberly61
07-23-2008, 07:47 AM
I think it depends on the cat....I have 3 and they have all tried it and only one really really likes it and she goes bonkers when I give it to her course the one that likes it is a big fatty cat so I give her the cat nip now so that she can get some excersise lol Plus its fun watching her spaz out! The other 2 just have no interest in it what so ever.

ElleGee
07-23-2008, 08:10 AM
I use Valerian root to sleep.. It has the same effect as cat nip..
The first time I drank Valerian root in my tea Peter wouldn't leave my lips alone as I slept.. It's hard to sleep when you have a cat tickling your lips with it's nose.. And for a week I didn't get what the fascination was until I looked it up..

Now I 'spike' his toy mouse with it every once in a while

tarbabie
07-23-2008, 08:31 AM
My cats love the organic stuff- has to be organic or they won't touch it. Growing some now and getting ready to cut it and dry it....

just exactly what is the best drying process?

buglebe
07-23-2008, 09:13 AM
I use Valerian root to sleep.. It has the same effect as cat nip..
The first time I drank Valerian root in my tea Peter wouldn't leave my lips alone as I slept.. It's hard to sleep when you have a cat tickling your lips with it's nose.. And for a week I didn't get what the fascination was until I looked it up..

Now I 'spike' his toy mouse with it every once in a while

How do you buy valerian root? Is it a tablet or what? I guess you can get it at Whole Foods, what about Walmart? I have trouble sleeping a lot.

ElleGee
07-23-2008, 09:18 AM
How do you buy valerian root? Is it a tablet or what? I guess you can get it at Whole Foods, what about Walmart? I have trouble sleeping a lot.

BotanicChoice.com It's in liquid form

http://www.botanicchoice.com/Liquid-Herbal-Extracts/Valerian-Root-Liquid-Extract-1-fl-oz.axd

*it smells horrible but if you drink it in tea it's not so bad
** and they have it in pill form
http://www.botanicchoice.com/shop.axd/Search?keywords=valerian&btn_go.x=12&btn_go.y=14

PrincessArky
07-23-2008, 09:49 AM
my brothers cats go NUTS over it..........mine couldnt careless.....but let a bug come in the house you would think they were on cat nip lol

janelle
07-23-2008, 10:11 AM
My cats use to turn their noses up at it but I got some more and they like it. It may be the kind you are getting makes a difference.

diana_circe
07-23-2008, 10:33 AM
A friend of mine grows it for her cats and she gives it to me. I just tie it in a bunch and hang it upside down to dry, then crunch up the leaves. My cats are lazy, they sniff and chew the catnip, then bounce around for a few minutes, then they clean themselves for about an hour. I don't give it to them that often because the cleaning sessions means stepping in hairballs the next day :lol

roserob
07-23-2008, 11:22 AM
mabe you should get the good stuff from the alley