PDA

View Full Version : Water pill question

ilikefree
07-16-2008, 06:27 AM
I don't know if I'm retaining extra water or what, but lately the area between my ankles and my heels has been swollen on both feet. I didn't know if taking water pills would help. My question is, can you just go to the store and buy these, and if so, where in the store would you find them, or do you have to have a prescription for them?

THEpouty1
07-16-2008, 06:41 AM
they're usually near/with the diet pills.

Willow
07-16-2008, 06:55 AM
I retain fluid during the warmer months. It's even worse when I'm pregnant. My feet and ankles get really tight feeling. My OB said that she won't give me anything unless I was swolen all over because when you take those they have to monitor you really closesly because of your electrolytes. She told me to drink more water and elevate my feet when I can. They do have over the counter ones but I would be really careful with them.

luvcub
07-16-2008, 07:27 AM
hi hon,I take 180 mg of blood pressure pills a day,in the med itself is water pills,16 mg,I never swell with water but the water pill works with the blood pressure meds,you may get water pills over the counter,not as strong as doctor gives,but if it is indeed water ret. this will give you an idea. The dosage is smaller over the counter. Please do be very careful,electrolytes can deep very low and thats bad on your heart,your kidneys can feel a big bang from the water pills,due to the fact that your getting rid of all fluids in your body,you must not take these around bed time,youll be up all night pottying.
I do know that these pills help with any kind of infection I have such as in my teeth,the pills dry it up and spit the infection out. The back pain can be bad,due to the kidneys needing water.
Hope this info will help.also,if you decide to do this,maybe you can Get a small bottle of Potassium pills at the drug store,you loose pot. in heavy doses,I take 1 before I go to bed.

cabby92
07-16-2008, 07:30 AM
I take lasix for a problem I have with my left leg. They tend to give me bad, two day headaches if I am not careful. I take a couple of patassium pills a day and drink lots of water and tea. The OTC pills never helped me at all, but my leg is probably worse than what you are dealing with.

ilikefree
07-16-2008, 07:53 AM
Wow, that sounds scary! I don't know if I want to try them or not. My ankles don't hurt or anything, they are just very swollen and bother me that they look like that.

cabby92
07-16-2008, 07:54 AM
Honestly? I treat my leg out of vanity more than fear of what's wrong. I can't wear skirts or shirts without the pills because I'm embarassed. How's that for priorities?

Char
07-16-2008, 08:44 AM
Yea, as everyone has said, be careful with any fluid pills, your potassium can drop too low and couse all kinds of problems, even memory loss and confusion (and that's the better of the bad things it can cause...). My ankles swell a bit as my hormones change, but, not bad enough that I've even wanted to do anything for it.

Do remember though, water pushes water... sounds odd, but, drinking water pushes out old water/fluids. Try and eat plenty of high potassium rich foods, like tomotoes, bananas, potoatoes etc... if you're pushing a lot of water, just add a daily potassium supplement to your diet.