PDA

View Full Version : Couple sell child name to radio station for gas

observer
07-15-2008, 01:40 PM
ORLANDO, Fla. (Hollywood Today)

7/13/08 – Skyrocketing summer gas prices have got people walking, biking and busing to save money on the so-called “liquid gold,” but an Orlando father has taken his penny-pinching to the extreme. On the promise of a $100 gas gift card, David Partin has agreed to name his newborn child after two radio DJs and their executive producer.

“Hey, man, times are rough,” Partin, 26, told the Orlando Sentinel. “I figure I’ll be able to drive around for a couple of weeks on that gas.”
Partin was participating in a radio contest held by local broadcaster WHTQ, which agreed to award the prize to the person who could offer the most interesting trade. According to the newspaper, the unborn boy, due in December, will be given the first name “Dixon and Willoughby” after the on-air personalities and the middle name “With Radio’s Alan Spector” after the producer.

The bizarre and lengthy name is just temporary, however, as Partin and his pregnant girlfriend, Samantha Bailey, told the Sentinel they were planning to sell their son’s name again after his birth—this time to whatever person or company offered them the most money.

Partin’s bid to raise money by giving his child a corporate moniker was not unique. In 2004, Indiana couple Ryan and Jami Hawkins made history by attempting to sell their child’s middle name on eBay. Though their minimum bid ($8,000) was not met, GoldenPalace.com made a successful bid ($15,500) on another youngster’s name the following year.

julie604
07-15-2008, 01:49 PM
Saw that last week in the paper. I hope it doesn't give too many other people the idea.

freeby4me
07-15-2008, 02:41 PM
For some reason selling your child for money just doesnt sound like good parenting, ALREADY! lol

Shann
07-15-2008, 02:42 PM
ORLANDO, Fla. (Hollywood Today)
The bizarre and lengthy name is just temporary, however, as Partin and his pregnant girlfriend, Samantha Bailey, told the Sentinel they were planning to sell their son’s name again after his birth—this time to whatever person or company offered them the most money.

question... how can they do this? if they said they would name their child after the djs and producer how can they turn around and try to get more money from another company to name their child? it doesn't make sense and you would think the company could sue them for breaking it eventhough they "told" them :rolleyes:

with that being said.. what kind of moron sells the rights to their child's name for a $100 gas card? don't they care what name their child would end up with (in general for anyone that does this) I mean obviously any company could buy and they would could end up naming their kid some pretty awful names, it's just not worth it to me, but I'm also a name snob and no one but me will be naming my kids.. hehe that *might* include my hubby as well ;)

observer
07-15-2008, 02:56 PM
The only problem I have with this is that it only a 100 dollar gas card,To fill my tank it cost at least $80.00.A $100.00 get you nowhere today

Jolie Rouge
07-15-2008, 03:02 PM
Considering what some people have named their children on their own (Audio Science, son of actress Shannyn Sossamon and Dallas Clayton, and Pilot Inspektor, son of actor Jason Lee and Beth Riesgraf... ) "Dixon and Willoughby With Radio’s Alan Spector” begins so almost sound okay .....
I also don't understand how they plan to 'rename' the baby for profit - wouldn't that be breach of contract ?

Willow
07-15-2008, 03:34 PM
That's crazy!

DezaRay24
07-15-2008, 08:41 PM
The only problem I have with this is that it only a 100 dollar gas card,To fill my tank it cost at least $80.00.A $100.00 get you nowhere today

they are selling their babies name for $100 in gas???????

magenta
07-15-2008, 08:56 PM
$100 isn't enough. I would want at least $500.

J/K

Jolie Rouge
07-15-2008, 09:19 PM
“Hey, man, times are rough,” Partin, 26, told the Orlando Sentinel. “I figure I’ll be able to drive around for a couple of weeks on that gas.”

He must have a motorcycle

PrincessArky
07-16-2008, 10:48 AM
wow guess some will do anything for a buck