PDA

View Full Version : Study:Medical Students Show Racial Bias

observer
07-15-2008, 06:11 AM
Edna sits on an examining table ready and alert -- she wants answers about the lump in her breast.

For each of the 21 medical students who enter the room, Edna's fears are still to be discovered.

They each see the same 55-year-old woman, each meet with the same brown eyes.

They all hear the same Southern twang in her voice and the same tremor of fear when she asks if she could have cancer.

The only difference is that 12 of the students see a dark-skinned version of Edna, and the other nine students see a light-skinned version.

Edna is a computer-animated image projected life-size on the side of a white wall, and she is used in a study monitoring the interactions of medical students with virtual patients. The study, which has three of five authors from UF, found white medical students were less empathetic toward black virtual patients in one-on-one interviews.
"Bias in the real world is translating to the virtual world," said Benjamin Lok, an author of the study.

The existence of racial partiality in the medical field is a problem acknowledged since the 2002 government study "Unequal Treatment."

"We're not claiming that we have found any new bias," said Lok, an assistant professor in UF's Department of Computer and Information Science and Engineering.

The fact that bias is still present in mock doctor-patient scenarios shows that students treat virtual patients in a realistic manner, he said.
"Our goal is to try to mimic as close as possible a doctor talking to a patient," Lok said.

For the medical students who participated in the study, interaction with Edna was made as real-life as possible. Infrared lights and sensors allowed Edna to detect the position of students and look at them as they moved.

A hat embedded with a microphone enabled students to talk with her. Edna was programmed to offer about 200 different responses to as many as 500 questions.

After the interviews, medical and nonmedical people rated students' empathy on a scale of one to seven. The raters could not see Edna's skin tone.

Empathy scores were compared to results of a post-interview subconscious bias-detecting test created by a University of Washington psychologist.
Brent Rossen, a UF CISE graduate student and an author of the study, hopes the virtual patient program will be used as a tool to alleviate bias.

"The way to get rid of racial biases is to train them out," Rossen said. "It's not about somebody's skin tone; it's about what you're not used to."

Full Article
http://www.cnn.com/2008/HEALTH/07/09/virtual.patient.bias/index.html

suprtruckr
07-15-2008, 08:21 AM
The fact that bias is still present in mock doctor-patient scenarios shows that students treat virtual patients in a realistic manner, he said.

"The way to get rid of racial biases is to train them out," Rossen said. "It's not about somebody's skin tone; it's about what you're not used to."

it's not just in mock scenarios, and its not just white dr bias against black it also black dr against white patient
maybe one day all this skin color bias will be done with

boopster
07-15-2008, 08:54 AM
There is also gender bias.

A friend and her husband both called their doctor (same doc for both) with the same complaint at different times (pain in the chest). The husband was given an appointment right away. The wife was given an appointment in 4 weeks!

I was in a medical plan where I had to get referrals. One of my doctors wanted me to see an orthopedist so I mentioned this to my primary doc. He refused saying "they are going to want an MRI and I will not do it!" My husband went to the same primary doc and said that he had a pain in his calf....this same doctor wrote out a referral for an MRI without blinking his eye. Of course I no longer use him and it took some convincing but DH no longer uses him.

4diego
07-15-2008, 08:59 AM
My cousin married a "man" who's in med school. He & I can't be around one another for very long at a time & never when one or both of us may be drinking. He is sooo awful in his language & actions against black people, women, elderly, & children. I wouldn't go to him if it were free and he was the only dr. that could save my life! Is there not a special class/test that these people can be put through to make sure they aren't like this?

IthinkNOT!
07-15-2008, 10:07 AM
There is also a class bias. People with lower incomes are treated very differently than one with higher incomes and insurance etc. For example, I take my dad to a doctor in the next town over, he has no insurance and pays cash out of pocket for every visit. Because of this he has to take any appointment that is given, because they don't allow ppl with no insurance to have any say in their appointments. Last week when I took him they wanted me to bring him back tommorow morning, and I told them that that was the day of my final exams. And they told me to take that appt or I just wouldn't get an appointment. Also, the dr who treats my dad, has done nothing for him, other than prescribe a few fluid pills, they say it is because he drinks. Another man was talking to my dad, they both have the same problems, and the man drinks. But the man was talking about all the different treatments he was getting, and that he is on the transplant list for a new liver. The difference between the 2? MONEY

Jolie Rouge
07-15-2008, 10:21 AM
My cousin married a "man" who's in med school. He & I can't be around one another for very long at a time & never when one or both of us may be drinking. He is sooo awful in his language & actions against black people, women, elderly, & children. I wouldn't go to him if it were free and he was the only dr. that could save my life! Is there not a special class/test that these people can be put through to make sure they aren't like this?

If you find a "de-jerk-ification" class, let me know ! I have some folks I would like to sign up... :lol:

I agree it is not just a "race" bias, gender and class play a part. Within the "black" community, shades of color also play a part.

observer
07-15-2008, 01:28 PM
There is also a class bias. People with lower incomes are treated very differently than one with higher incomes and insurance etc. For example, I take my dad to a doctor in the next town over, he has no insurance and pays cash out of pocket for every visit. Because of this he has to take any appointment that is given, because they don't allow ppl with no insurance to have any say in their appointments. Last week when I took him they wanted me to bring him back tommorow morning, and I told them that that was the day of my final exams. And they told me to take that appt or I just wouldn't get an appointment. Also, the dr who treats my dad, has done nothing for him, other than prescribe a few fluid pills, they say it is because he drinks. Another man was talking to my dad, they both have the same problems, and the man drinks. But the man was talking about all the different treatments he was getting, and that he is on the transplant list for a new liver. The difference between the 2? MONEY

just curious if your the transplant list your not allowed to drink liquor right

observer
07-15-2008, 01:32 PM
it's not just in mock scenarios, and its not just white dr bias against black it also black dr against white patient
maybe one day all this skin color bias will be done with

That probably will never happen,The only thing doctors(people) can do is realize that their are problems with bias stereotype and modify their only behavior accordingly