PDA

View Full Version : Dumpster diving

buglebe
07-14-2008, 02:08 PM
Have you ever been dumpster diving? Catdance mentioned dumpster diving in another thread. I have once. But I was scared because I thought it was illegal. Is it not illegal? Even when I go behind some of the stores looking for boxes I feel like I am stealing. We found a pizza place who offered me all his small boxes his tomato sauce came in. Anyone with other experiences?

DonnaWV
07-14-2008, 02:30 PM
I have never been dumpster diving, but I have been trash bin diving LOL
I saw a wooden ironing board in a trash bin, watched it for several days, then I thought, they threw it away, so I got it,but I did go to the nearest house and tell/ask about it. It was not their trash. I did feel like I was stealing. Daddy on the other hand has no problem with dumpster diving, boy he has found many good things.

fleabones3
07-14-2008, 02:33 PM
When I was a kid my sister and I would do it for cans and bottles to turn in. That was back in the day when you could get something for them. We used the money to go to the arcade with.. that was many many moons ago though

bears984
07-14-2008, 02:35 PM
I have to admit I have and liked it. I have found several nice things that have been tossed away

luvcub
07-14-2008, 03:12 PM
good old dumpster diving,lmao,when we lived in Clearwater,we lived directly across the street from Walgreens,in direct path of there dumpster,my kids watched them throw away a huge bin of something,and went and checked it out,found 72 boxes of Russel Stover,all kinds of choc.They thought they hit a jackpot,the neighborhood kids and mine went door to door selling the stuff till I put a stop to it,made like 125.00,Walgreens throws everything in the trash,lots of things my kids found.
Now if I see something worth my time,Ill look both ways and dive,lmao.
Alot of people do dumpster dive,then sell there booty.
I havent peeked in a dumpster in many years,hmmmmmmm,wonder whats down at walgreens now???? lol

ttistin
07-14-2008, 03:16 PM
oh yea, with the price of things going dumpster diving saves a lot of money lol dh gets old bikes all the time, he fixes them up and either sells or gives them away. He just brought home 5 or 6 bikes the other day, going to fix them up. Kids have like 3 bikes each lol

luvcub
07-14-2008, 03:16 PM
smart thinking!!!

ttistin
07-14-2008, 03:21 PM
smart thinking!!!

Dh loves doing that kind of stuff. He was asked last week to fix some lawn mowers for a guy that always has yard sales, he fixed them all yesterday and is going to get about $70 for fixing them. Not bad considering we didn't spend any money on fixing them at all and he loves messing with them.

buglebe
07-14-2008, 03:39 PM
So it is embarrassing but legal?

luvcub
07-14-2008, 03:43 PM
I was never sure one way or the other,if its trash should be ok,alot of stores keep there trash under lock and key,lol.

VenusA423
07-14-2008, 04:10 PM
I thought that since it was thrown away that it was abandoned property and up for grabs... therefore, legal.

Either way, we've gotten all kinds of stuff off the side of the road. Around here, if you put something at the curb, you expect someone to take it. We have a Gazelle out at ours right now and I don't expect it to be there by morning... heck, even before I go to bed.
As for actually getting in the dumpster, haven't done it, but I knew of some ladies that did it at the apts. we lived at years ago.

BeanieLuvR
07-14-2008, 04:49 PM
We have got some awesome stuff at the side of the road too. Yesterday as my DH and I were bike riding we passed a house that had a really nice wooden doll house out for the garbage. My DH came home and got the Expedition and got it. He said it is probably worth a hundred or 2 dollars. It only needs some minor work. Then later we found a really nice clock/music box combination, a set of dictionaries, and a kids book. I have never actually looked in a dumpster and I would never go through garbage bags but if it is sitting out at the side of the road then I consider it fair game.

galeane29
07-14-2008, 04:52 PM
Yes I have been dumpster diving, but its been years ago. We use to the ones back behind the dollar general where I use to live. They threw things away instead of cleaning the store LOL You would not believe what these people threw away after the holidays. Instead of sending it back and getting credit for it, I ended up with it. I had GREAT yard sales back then.

ilovecats
07-14-2008, 05:47 PM
I don't have access to a dumpster,but if I see a useful looking object on the side of the road w/peoples trash I will save it from the landfill.

msmom79
07-14-2008, 06:03 PM
yeap i have .i see nothing wrong with it-around here i have gotten a lot of silver and some gold,i actully got a pure 99.9 sterling silver 8x10 picture frame-had to have been expensive-i have gotten alot of things that were never opened-like stated in an earlier post,some stores just dont want to deal with things,so they toss it-some places here say it is illegal to take from dumpsters,but how can that be when its in the trash-one mans trash is another mans treasure.

MistyWolf
07-14-2008, 06:09 PM
I have never dumpster dived, but when I was a kid we use to trash pick off curbs. My mom actually got stopped by the police once and they told her it was illegal .. so some places it is and I imagine other places it isn't.

Mom2-3boys
07-14-2008, 06:18 PM
My husband and I dumpster dived once....after we saw/heard a man throwing something in the dumpster at the football field....after he left we went and saw what it was.... it was cases of beer and pop lots and lots of it! Some of it was expired and some of it wasn't all in all we ended up with like 15 cases of unexpired beer and 6 cases of pop LOL

Mary Jo
07-14-2008, 06:24 PM
We have big trash pick-up once a month. I got 2 nice lamps with lampshades and bulbs that worked with them this spring.
This is a lower middle-class neighborhood and when big trash pick-up comes people come from everywhere cruising around looking for stuff. that's how we get our dumpster diving fix.

chib44
07-14-2008, 06:27 PM
So it is embarrassing but legal?

i dont think its embaressing i think its smart and thrifty

jedmatters
07-14-2008, 06:28 PM
Illegal here.

IthinkNOT!
07-14-2008, 07:15 PM
My exbf and I did this a few times. One time was the dumpster behind the dollar tree right after christmas. We ended up with enough christmas decorations to decorate 5 houses. Also at the foodlion, where we ended up with boxes of hamburger helper and mac and cheese that were a month from going out of date. And a whole flat of jars of pickles.

magickay
07-14-2008, 07:58 PM
Went diving once, but not for treasures. College friend had some important papers (passport, immunization record, bank info) tossed out accidentally by her roommate's sister who was helping clean up. Spent most of the night searching in misty weather -- then found out around 5 a.m. that we were in the wrong dumpster. Changed dumpsters, and it took less than 15 minutes. Ewwww...

A friend's dad would go behind a shopping center and find great stuff in those dumpsters. He dug out a huge box of assorted enamel cookware, and at least three additonal boxes of other good stuff. We made a killing at that yard sale!

cathych
07-14-2008, 10:52 PM
well I guess I am the odd man out here. I am not going thru trash, no matter what is in there.

hblueeyes
07-15-2008, 08:12 AM
I have gotten brand new down comforters, my kitchen table and 6 matching chairs, numerous pots, pans, kitchen ware, end tables, beds, futon frame with cover, all brand new. I also got a bike that cost about $6.00 to fix.

I love dumpsterdiving.

Me

MERE CHAT
07-15-2008, 12:18 PM
I always walk around the neighborhood on trash night. I was planning on buying a torchiere lamp and lo and behold!! One of our neighbors had one like brand new out for the trash. Needless to say, it found a new home - MINE!! I also found 4 beautiful dining room chairs and assorted Christmas goodies. Llke the saying goes, one man's trash is another's treasure!!

ilikefree
07-15-2008, 12:49 PM
DH used to dive in the dumpster behind Big Wheel and Pamida when they were in our area. That's when our oldest was in diapers. He'd find packages and packages of diapers at a time. I don't know how long it was that I didn't have to buy diapers. I wish there was somewhere good that was close that we could go. I miss those days. As far as being illegal, I couldn't tell you, but he was always careful and hid if he heard anyone nearby.

xsweetestx
07-15-2008, 01:00 PM
omg I loved dumpster diving lmao..We had a riot and got so much..Now its against the law so the fun is over....

catdance
07-15-2008, 01:11 PM
LEGAL? Dunno know..I see pep's doing it all the time..I ask" anything good"?

"ONLY IF YOU CAN USE IT" is the normal response it has to be good to DIG down, I wear dish gloves, if it is good, it is mine if not, not mine..
I never trash an area.
I do it in a trendy area, everyone does..so legal or not..I am advid so is the BF..
I think we are addicted..we have been doing this for years.

DAZZLINGDIAMOND
12-01-2008, 05:38 PM
All of the "big chain stores" have dumpsters with locked lids or lids with a slot for items to go in only. Is there anyone who has this problem? I want to get in on the goodies!

atprm
12-01-2008, 06:39 PM
All of the "big chain stores" have dumpsters with locked lids or lids with a slot for items to go in only. Is there anyone who has this problem? I want to get in on the goodies!

here it is illegal to dive the store dumpsters...

but feel free to Curbside Shop in various neighborhoods.

We found an entire "L" shaped sectional and 2 wingback chairs in one of the "upscale" 'hoods of Troy, MI on the way home from Sommerset Collection Mall about 4 months ago -- beautiful dark brown leather.

Good thing I had the van! Knocked on the ladies door, she said she kicked her 'lying cheating b*st*rd' out along with HIS favorite stuff, and that we were welcome to whatever was there!

So I called my Dad, who met me and took the sectional, and I snagged the wingbacks...

sold the sectional (too big for his house or mine) for $1200 (same set retails at Ethan Allen -- tag on furniture still -- for over $4000) on Craigslist! Put the wingbacks (also Ethan Allen) at my Dad's house.

diana_circe
12-01-2008, 08:22 PM
I have discovered I am not above asking someone for something out of their trash :lol When Tay was little someone threw out a Little Tykes vanity, it was dirty but I asked them for it and they were more than happy to have me take it since the trash guys wouldn't. I took it home and scrubbed it up and it looked brand new. Now its been through Tay, my twin nieces and now my youngest niece, who just turned two.

My cousin and I used to dumpster dive behind the drug store we lived by. I don't know if its legal or not, but we sure were stocked with makeup and whatever else they threw out. It was still in the package and there was no perishable things in there, so what did we care :)

mimi37
12-01-2008, 11:26 PM
A girl that works part time with me works full time at Charolette Russe(sp) in the mall as an assistant manager. She said they don't send back their end of season clothes and they don't have enough storage room in the store for them. So, everything just goes in the trash. Seems like such a waste. These companies could donate to food banks or shelters.

luvcub
12-02-2008, 06:53 AM
lmao,its like christmas everyday when you go dumpster diving,I havent done it in yrs,but know of people that have done it alot,and made a killing reselling the stuff at yard sales. Good Will always has stuff laying around outside on the weekends,and I know someone that has dressed their kid for years with the stuff people leave there on the curb. Im not as brave as I used to be,I need to pull my big panties up and go and do a swan dive in the nearest dumpster,lol.

luvcub
12-02-2008, 06:54 AM
here it is illegal to dive the store dumpsters...

but feel free to Curbside Shop in various neighborhoods.

We found an entire "L" shaped sectional and 2 wingback chairs in one of the "upscale" 'hoods of Troy, MI on the way home from Sommerset Collection Mall about 4 months ago -- beautiful dark brown leather.

Good thing I had the van! Knocked on the ladies door, she said she kicked her 'lying cheating b*st*rd' out along with HIS favorite stuff, and that we were welcome to whatever was there!

So I called my Dad, who met me and took the sectional, and I snagged the wingbacks...

sold the sectional (too big for his house or mine) for $1200 (same set retails at Ethan Allen -- tag on furniture still -- for over $4000) on Craigslist! Put the wingbacks (also Ethan Allen) at my Dad's house.

lmaooooooooo,wooooooooooooohooooooooo,you go girl,all though I would have to keep that sectional for the family,hmmm,where does he live,which corner,maybe he got tired of it,lmao.

dawn827
12-02-2008, 07:14 AM
My fiance does it all the time. Not at stores however, but the kind that are set out in front of house demo's. He actually found a lot of really cool things from furniture to jewelery.
We also garbage hunt. A few years ago we would drive around on trash night looking for furniture to redo and sell. I once found an old dresser, painted it, added my own artistic touch to it and then sold it for 130 dollars at our local peddlers fair.

As I am now looking around, mostly everything that we have furniture wise is from the curb. My biggest find is our dinning room table and chairs. It's solid oak, about 8 feet long with beautiful matching chairs.

One man's trash is another's treasure!!

atprm
12-02-2008, 08:41 AM
like the furniture that I found, and several other posters posted their furniture finds... it's SAD that we live in such a materialistic society... where people no longer are comfortable with the good stuff, they always have to have something bigger, or nicer -- or just more expensive.

and to the road goes their "old" stuff -- it's a double edged sword -- while I am thankful there are greedy people out there who throw away high-end good stuff, I am really sad and sick to my stomach to think that if I hadn't gone past it when I did, it would have gone to waste!

Anniston
12-04-2008, 08:59 AM
It is not legal here, and most do lock up the dumpsters. A friend of mine drives a garbage truck and does the businesses, not residential. It is against the rules for him to keep anything, but he does anyway. He has gotten so many things with high dollar values.

I used to dive weekly years ago, when I worked at a cable company at a strip mall. We were next to a florist, and I would have fresh flowers all the time.

I garbage pick whenever I see something nice. Ironically, I found more treasures in the middle class neighborhood I lived in than I do in this newer, better neighborhood!

Over the years, my biggest finds have been:

like new double stroller
Wooden play kitchen
pick nic basket with the plastic-ware still in the packages
kitchen table
recliner
3 glass baking pans
stepper machine (would be of more value if I actually used it!)
thing used for seeding a yard
Some strange raft thing that looked like a mini pontoon boat. Not sure what it was, but I sold it for $20 at a rummage sale, within the first hour, so probably could have gotten more for it!

sdb_ngc
12-04-2008, 09:53 AM
I have never done it, yuck, and don't think I ever would. I have a problem with people going through my trash, personally and only take it to the curb on the morning they pick it up.