PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have a

bears984
07-12-2008, 08:00 PM
Green dot visa or mastercard? Do you like it? I do not have a bank account or credit card because my lovely aunt when she went back to california from her vist with us a few years ago took my social securty card that she stole for me and now my credit sucks so bad and it is taking forever to get it all taken care of. Now my paypal account is on hold because I don't have a bank account or credit card on file and they are holding all of my funds in there (it sucks) I was hoping that I could get one of the green dot cards and use it on my paypal account so that I can get my money out of there and use it. So does any one know anything about them has anyone used them on a paypal account with any luck?

cpbaby
07-12-2008, 08:09 PM
I use a greendot mastercard for my direct deposit at work. I LOVE it. I am charged $7 a month for the convenience, but all direct deposits are free. With my crappy credit, I think it is a great deal. PLUS, you can use it at a gas pump or such where most prepaid debit cards you cant. And the online account access is great. If you get one, go ahead and pay a little extra and upgrade to the premier account. If you direct deposit $XX a month, you arent charged a service fee. It is the bank account associated with my PayPal, too. The really great thing is, the card # isnt the same as the account # so if you lose your card or misplace it, nobody can change your direct deposits or anything. You can call and they will cancel that one and you will have a new one in 5 days.

You can PM me if you want any info.

bears984
07-12-2008, 08:17 PM
do you have to have a bank account to have one?

dispatcher
07-13-2008, 02:57 AM
do you have to have a bank account to have one?

no bank account needed. we have green dot also. i love it.

SLance68
07-13-2008, 07:33 AM
If you have a CVS in your area they have a deal this week that if you purchase one there this week only and charge on it at a CVS before some time in August you will get $ 9.95 credit back on your green dot card. It was in the CVS circular this morning.

poggles3
07-13-2008, 07:39 AM
We have one as well I use it for online purchases and love it.

cpbaby
07-13-2008, 09:01 AM
Nope, no bank acount needed. I use mine for everything.....gas(pay at the pump), inside purchases, online purchases, online bill pay, over the phone bill pay......its really nice. You can go online and see your balance and purchases made, usually within 15 minutes of the purchase. Some places are more like 24 hours. I also have an AccountNowVisa....for two recurring monthly charges that I HAVE to make, so I have money direct deposited in there and then never touch it, but I like the GreenDot MasterCard MUCH better. They are by the same people, but the fees are different and they dont update like they should......I know the money was there and the bill was paid, but the website might take two days to show that the payment was made.

JerseyMook
07-13-2008, 10:48 AM
I was given one for my birthday at work with $25 on it - the first thing they did was to take $4.95 off for a usage fee. That did it for me - I will never use one or buy on fr another person - what a rip!

I have a bank account with a check card attached (ATM) and there is no fee. I use that more than I use my American Express unless it is for a big purchase.

Green Dot is a poor deal in my opinion - better to go for the bank account - that is backed by FDIC and who knows who is bohind Green Dot.

bears984
07-13-2008, 11:11 AM
Thanks I think I will go to walmart and get one today, I wish we had a CVS here but we are lucky to have a little walmart LOL

fleabones3
07-13-2008, 03:35 PM
Sorry bear( you know who this is) ..

I hope everything works out for ya, bless your heart

cpbaby
07-13-2008, 05:05 PM
I was given one for my birthday at work with $25 on it - the first thing they did was to take $4.95 off for a usage fee. That did it for me - I will never use one or buy on fr another person - what a rip!

I have a bank account with a check card attached (ATM) and there is no fee. I use that more than I use my American Express unless it is for a big purchase.

Green Dot is a poor deal in my opinion - better to go for the bank account - that is backed by FDIC and who knows who is bohind Green Dot.

That is strange because I dont get charged for using mine. I get have a monthly fee. The reason some people get them is when they CANT GET a regular bank account OR they are afraid to, like in the case of bears where there was identity theft.

dangerousfem
07-13-2008, 06:34 PM

I agree.... the fee's did me in...

you can try to get a bank account with washington mutual ... you can do it online.. and when we did ours.. they didn't do credit checks.. no check systems check.. nothing...try it first... they will send you a visa checkcard.. or it may have been mastercard.. cant remember..lol

http://www.wamufreechecking.com/Free_Checking/index.html?appType=FC&AffiliateID=googlesearch&CreativeID=WFC