PDA

View Full Version : Need help finding a missing relative

Quaker_Parrots
07-12-2008, 01:30 PM
My elderly Aunt got married a few years ago to a very high strung man. He ran off, then came back after awhile. Well, he is gone again(got mad at her daughter and left) and has been gone about a year this time.

My Aunt is concerend that when she passes, because of being married to him, she might not be able to have her final wishes carried out. She wants me to try to find out if he has passed(he was in poor health) so she can set her mind to ease.

I have a ton of info on him including his SS#, which I used to search the SS death index, but didnt find any info there.

Can anyone suggest some places that I might start with that are free? I also searched Zaba, no luck. Any help is appreciated.

buttrfli
07-12-2008, 02:15 PM
She should file for divorce. That way if she can't find him, she can get the divorce and not have to worry about it. Just because she doesn't know where he is, doesn't mean that she won't be able to get a divorce.

I imagine someone here can be some assistance in helping find him... good luck! :)

LitWtch
07-12-2008, 02:38 PM
Has she filed a missing persons report?

Check with the IRS - if he is working or claiming Social Security, they would know. If he is, she can file a lien against him for spousal abandonment.

justme23
07-12-2008, 03:35 PM
She should file for divorce. That way if she can't find him, she can get the divorce and not have to worry about it.

That's what I was going to say. She can put the ad in the paper, which I doubt he would suspect since he's been gone for a year anyways.

I was also gonna say if he's in poor health and eligible for it that medicade/care and SS office probably knows where he is. I would imagine you'd have to file the missing persons to get that information, though, like lilwitch said.

Quaker_Parrots
07-12-2008, 07:41 PM
I am not sure if she could afford to file for divorce... fixed income. I know he gets medicaid, and he is retired. She tried the SS office and also the VA(ex military) and they refused to give any information even though they are married because he wasn't the one requesting it. Messed up, huh?

So far as missing persons report, he left of his own free will. I doubt law inforcement would do anything to help since he is an adult, and at the time, was responsible for his actions.

Quaker_Parrots
07-12-2008, 07:43 PM
Has she filed a missing persons report?

Check with the IRS - if he is working or claiming Social Security, they would know. If he is, she can file a lien against him for spousal abandonment.

Shouldn't be working, we are talking about a 70+ yo man. He had cancer at one point, and I am not sure how far along it was. I do know he couldnt eat certain things because of it, he had a very limited diet.

iluvmybaby
07-12-2008, 08:37 PM
If you PM me his first and last name and the LAST KNOWN area he was in, and his DOB I will try to help you find him. Please do not send me his SSN#. I cant gaurentee anything, I have done skip tracing in the past, and I have been semi successful with finding people that dont want to be found. Honestly tho, what she needs is to contact a lawyer, every state has legal aide for low income individuals, even a the backwards arse state I live in, TN. Seriously, she doesnt need to find him, most divorces say she has to post an ad in the paper of his last known area every day for three weeks or something like that, but if you would like me to take a crack at finding him, I will be glad to try. Good look and God Bless her, my grandma is terminally ill and I couldnt imagine someone coming in and having a say on her final wishes, that is crazy!

jedmatters
07-13-2008, 04:39 AM
The divorce could be done inexpensively.
Many courthouses allow you to fill out papers if you can not afford the filing fees, to waive them.
She could try that.
Go to the law library and get the forms, type them up: and go. There should not be an issue: as they have not been married long, and he left for a year. Service can be done in the paper....
If he does not get to the courthouse in time: she gets whatever she wants.
Easy enough.

She could try for an annullment. That may be even faster.

Her will should contain her final wishes, and the executor follows them.

SLance68
07-13-2008, 07:30 AM
The divorce could be done inexpensively.
Many courthouses allow you to fill out papers if you can not afford the filing fees, to waive them.
She could try that.
Go to the law library and get the forms, type them up: and go. There should not be an issue: as they have not been married long, and he left for a year. Service can be done in the paper....
If he does not get to the courthouse in time: she gets whatever she wants.
Easy enough.

She could try for an annullment. That may be even faster.

Her will should contain her final wishes, and the executor follows them.

Contact the clerk of the court in your county. You should be able to get the divorce paper work there. It is very basic and pretty easy to complete. Please make sure she has a power of attorney for her final wishes and a will set up. These can also be done free or at a very low cost. I believe there was a post last week that you could go to www.suzeormon.com (http://www.suzeormon.com) and get the paperwork downloaded for free. Here is the link for that post http://www.bigbigforums.com/big-big-freebies/589446-free-susie-orman-will-trust-kit.html

This is another post for free legal forms http://www.bigbigforums.com/big-big-freebies/590645-free-legal-documents-online.html