PDA

View Full Version : FDA issues warning on Cipro, similar antibiotics

Jolie Rouge
07-08-2008, 12:21 PM
FDA issues warning on Cipro, similar antibiotics
By RICARDO ALONSO-ZALDIVAR, Associated Press Writer
Tue Jul 8, 11:25 AM ET

WASHINGTON - Federal drug safety officials have imposed the government's most urgent warning on Cipro and similar antibiotics, citing risks that they can cause tendon ruptures, a serious injury that leaves some patients incapacitated.

The Food and Drug Administration on Tuesday ordered makers of flouroquinolone drugs — a potent class of antibiotics — to add a 'black box' warning to their products, which include Cipro, Levaquin, Floxin and other medications.

Patients should immediately stop taking the medications if they develop any tendon pain, swelling or inflammation.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080708/ap_on_he_me/med_antibiotics_warning;_ylt=AuS2Da_U0DxI8jhnX1yJn u6s0NUE

dianepost
07-08-2008, 12:44 PM
When will this madness stop?
It is getting to the point that the cure is worse than the disease.
Thanks for posting this jolie.
My father was taking cipro before he passed away a month ago, and had some strange symptoms that i thought weren't the norm for antibiotics.

Vee030473
07-08-2008, 01:02 PM
I know Levaquin(Levofloxacin) and Tequin had strong warnings years ago about tendon rupture. I was almost given Levaquin a couple years ago,after telling my doctor I could not take it because I was allergic to Tequin,he gave me the Zpack. The only antibiotic I am not allergic to is zithromyacin. Tequin(Gatifloxacin) was removed from the U S market in 2006 because of all the complications. Most drugs have serious complications,just like Metformin. Its most serious side effect is lactic acidosis,which is a process associated with rigor mortis.

dianepost
07-08-2008, 01:08 PM
My dad also took levaquin for Pneumonia, very strong and long term.
I also took the zpak for a respiratory treatment, It worked well for me, actually was the only thing that did work.
It is very frightening to take any kinds of medicines as per the outcome later on.
Maybe the studies for these drugs is too short term.

Vee030473
07-08-2008, 01:16 PM
My dad also took levaquin for Pneumonia, very strong and long term.
I also took the zpak for a respiratory treatment, It worked well for me, actually was the only thing that did work.
It is very frightening to take any kinds of medicines as per the outcome later on.
Maybe the studies for these drugs is too short term.

You hit the nail on the head! The studies they do are VERY short term,when it comes to human studies. They do far more long term testing on animals with new drugs,and animals may be close but they are not human. I strongly disagree with using animals as test subjects in drug trials,the outcome will always be what the drug companies are wanting.

cheryl8
07-08-2008, 06:35 PM
How will we know the wide-scale, long-term effects of these drugs if a large number of the population don't try them out? :she said sarcastically:

BigLyd1
07-08-2008, 07:00 PM
Wow, I took Cipro at one point but just for a very short time. The side effects of some of these drugs are amazing.

freeby4me
07-09-2008, 05:38 AM
How will we know the wide-scale, long-term effects of these drugs if a large number of the population don't try them out? :she said sarcastically:

Thats a very good question. I really dont know how to answer that.

Vee030473
07-09-2008, 02:11 PM

Maybe if the studies on humans were longer in duration to show the long term effects. Rather than testing for a short time on humans and testing twice as long on rats. Maybe if the FDA did that before approving drugs.