PDA

View Full Version : Women from Texas polygamous sect launch clothing line

Jolie Rouge
07-02-2008, 10:31 PM
Women from Texas polygamous sect launch clothing line
Wed Jul 2, 7:50 AM ET

WASHINGTON (AFP) - The raid by Texas authorities on a reclusive polygamous sect in April and their seizure of 400 children amid allegations of abuse has had an unexpected consequence -- the launch of a new clothing line.

Women from the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, who were called upon to make clothes en masse for the children taken into state custody, have now turned their skills to commerce and launched an online shop.

The austere dresses with long-sleeves and high collars, loose-fitting pants, long-johns and modest blouses worn by members of the sect are reminiscent of 19th century American pioneers and highlighted the sect's isolation.

But with the children returned to their legal guardians following a court ruling in May, the sect's members are turning their hand to providing their distinctive clothes to the general public -- and the demand appears strong.

"We don't know what to expect on demand but we have a flood of interest," Maggie Jessop, a member of the sect, told the Salt Lake Tribune newspaper.

At the website, http://www.fldsdress.com the women propose clothing for children and teenagers that "meets the FLDS standards for modesty and neatness" and assert that "each piece is made with joy and care."

Among the items for sale is a "Princess" dress with long sleeves and wide pleats available in eight different colors, while the site's founders are hoping to soon add recipes and songs.

The investigation into allegations of "spiritual" marriages of underage girls to older men at the sect compound continues, although no arrests have been made.

Officials said girls were being "groomed" to accept sex with their middle-aged "spiritual husbands" as soon as they hit puberty and boys were being indoctrinated to perpetuate the cycle of abuse.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080702/ts_alt_afp/usrightspolygamysectchildrenfashionoffbeat;_ylt=Ah CbQAi4GKWbJ6VV5D.o6XVH2ocA

Shann
07-02-2008, 11:23 PM
ugh puke, I've said it before and I'll say it again - their clothes look nasty and old fashioned and I will not be buying them for myself or anyone else, plus I won't be supporting polygamous' groups. I'll buy the poo and pee (or whatever it was) 100 times over before purchasing anything off that website

meltodd69
07-03-2008, 08:54 AM
Are we not supporting them already with all the welfare they are illegally collecting? Single mothers my #&%! Like most people(not all) collecting government aid, the fathers live there too and benefit without any responsibility.
I wouldn't buy clothes from them to put on my dogs!

ElleGee
07-03-2008, 09:10 AM
Great...Prairie wear

flute
07-03-2008, 11:53 AM
Are we not supporting them already with all the welfare they are illegally collecting? Single mothers my #&%! Like most people(not all) collecting government aid, the fathers live there too and benefit without any responsibility.

Unfortunately we are supporting them through welfare & food stamps.

:(

Bahet
07-03-2008, 01:31 PM
Well, if I'm ever offered a trip to the 19th century I'll know where to go to pick up some appropriate clothing.

nightrider127
07-03-2008, 01:33 PM
I would put on better looking clothes than those to visit the outhouse.

Jolie Rouge
07-03-2008, 02:45 PM
If anyone is doing a production of "Oklahoma!" they know where to shop for costumes ....

luvcub
07-03-2008, 02:48 PM
lmao,you are all too funny,but being truthful,looks like little house on the prairie to me,but theyll get business,other woman in poly groups may order from them,goverment will seize there stuff maybe huh? for non taxes.

YNKYH8R
07-03-2008, 02:51 PM
I just want to know who does their hair.

ahippiechic
07-03-2008, 02:52 PM
I just want to know who does their hair.

You know you think those clothes are HOT! :razz