PDA

View Full Version : Question about window ac

luvcub
07-02-2008, 07:30 PM
Help please---It is so hot in here,in the 90s,we have central heat and air,but
it only works real good in the morning and early aftenoon,when the sun heats up the side where my bedroom is, it becomes an oven,and its going to get a blistering 114 tomm. I have a window AC unit,its in storage,as we are in a townhome with HOA,we are not allowed to have any window units,is there anyway I can still use my window AC without putting it in the window??
Please if anyone can throw a few ideas at me,it would be wonderful.
Thank you so much.
Angel

vicky122
07-02-2008, 07:32 PM
I have never seen it do. But they sell some kind of unit that doesn't have to be put in a window. Not sure if that will help you. I mean if you have the funds to go buy one. I don't know what they run.

Pepsi4me
07-02-2008, 07:33 PM
I googled your question & this is the answer-

No, that won't do any good at all. An air conditioner is technically a "heat pump", meaning that heat energy is transported FROM the coils inside the house TO the coils outside the house. There is a percentage of efficiency loss that turns to heat, meaning that the overall temperature in a room will raise if it just runs sitting ont the kitchen table.

When the heat is pumped through the coils of the air conditioner one side gets hot and the other gets cold. Inside air is blown across the cold coils, cooling off the house. In the process the cold coils warm up. Then the freon in the coils is compressed, also condensing the volume of the heat and making the temperature go up. The heated, compressed freon then passes through the coils OUTSIDE the house where outside air is blown across the coils which cools the outside coils. Then the freon is allowed to expand and drop in pressure which evaporates the freon into a gas again and the temperature drops by 40 degrees or more. Without having a place for the heat to be exhausted, the air conditioner just won't work. Heat MUST go outside.

buttrfli
07-02-2008, 07:36 PM
Our house faces the west in the afternoon/evening and there is at least a 15 degree difference in the rooms in the front than the rooms in the back.

Last year I made DH go out and buy those wide roll up outdoor shades and install them in front of our bay window and our bedroom window. I knew it would help, but I didn't know that it would make as big of a difference as it did. I go out and pull them down when the sun starts to hit the front of the house and then pull them up when the sun starts to go down. Its cut our electirc bill by about $30/mo in the summer :)

luvcub
07-02-2008, 07:37 PM
oooo man,thats the chits huh???? hmmm,wonder if we set it like on the edge of the window seal,with the window open,as long as the back gets air????Prop that baby up. man,this is horrible.

tngirl
07-02-2008, 07:37 PM
There is no way to vent it. There are portable a/c's that have a hose that goes out the window for ventilation. I am not sure how well they work though.

luvcub
07-02-2008, 07:39 PM
Our house faces the west in the afternoon/evening and there is at least a 15 degree difference in the rooms in the front than the rooms in the back.

Last year I made DH go out and buy those wide roll up outdoor shades and install them in front of our bay window and our bedroom window. I knew it would help, but I didn't know that it would make as big of a difference as it did. I go out and pull them down when the sun starts to hit the front of the house and then pull them up when the sun starts to go down. Its cut out evelctirc bill by about $30/mo in the summer :)

This HOA is pain in the crack,no window ACS,no curtains,only blinds,no any type shades for the patios,no overhangs,no nothing.
At least your saving on electric,last summer ours ran here in this unit---300.00. I expect higher cooling cost,but we should be able to help ourselves be cooler also. thanks hon!

ahippiechic
07-02-2008, 07:46 PM
You can put a sm one on a stool in front of the window and use a drip pan, for the little drips. We did this at an apt we lived in for awhile, they did allow window units either. From the outside you couldn't really tell, because nothing was sticking out the window.

luvcub
07-02-2008, 07:47 PM
o ty ty ty,when you did it this way,did it help,Im only trying to cool the bedrrom down.

Kimberly61
07-02-2008, 08:11 PM
the portable units are still quite expensive...the cheapest I have seen them this year is 299.99, last year they were 399.99...........if I were you I would try to get heavier curtains to block out the suns rays but I know with bad insulation that doesnt even help....we have no shade trees near our house either and with 2 window units it still heats up in here during peak hours when the sun just beats down on the house.

ahippiechic
07-02-2008, 08:14 PM
o ty ty ty,when you did it this way,did it help,Im only trying to cool the bedrrom down.

Yes, it helped. My DH worked nights and it was hard for him to sleep in there during the day because that room got so hot. We just put it on a barstool with the back just touching the open window.

luvcub
07-02-2008, 08:52 PM
not allowed to hang curtains,all though,I hung a kitty blanket up over the blinds,you could roast weiners behind the blanket at 4 pm,lol.

mimilizz
07-03-2008, 02:30 AM
they have sun blocking curtains and they really cut the sun i have one on my back patio door,and helps some.