PDA

View Full Version : How has the price of gas affected your lifestyle?

DrGrin
07-02-2008, 08:54 AM
I read an article a few days ago that said that 90% of US families have been forced to make lifestyle changes due to the cost of gasoline.

We've cut back drastically on the use of the air conditioner.

We took off all extras on the home phone except caller ID. It reduced the monthly bill by a little over $40. Turned our internet back to the cheapest option that suits the needs of our family, for a savings of $12 a month.

We open the blinds on the windows instead of using lights.

We have made changes to our menu and started eating less meat based meals. We're using more rice instead of potatoes, because I refuse to pay $5 for 10 lbs of potatoes. Next year, I'll plant potatoes. We've cut out all junk food items and sodas. We rarely buy any convenience foods anymore, unless I find a really good sale and have good coupons for something.

We planted a garden. Next year, we will plant a garden twice the size of the one we did this year.

We carpool with a friend or family member for shopping, and split the cost of the gas.

We only go to work, church, doctors appointments and the grocery store. No pleasure trips for our family anymore.

How have the rising prices affected your lifestyle?

luvcub
07-02-2008, 09:02 AM
counting pennies and dimes for more gas here,its crazy what were paying here,4.20 gallon.

dcut4
07-02-2008, 09:02 AM
Trying to cut back as much as we can.

Turned up the air and turn it off when we can.

cut out all the little trips we make and try to combine errands

no vacation this year.

Not sure what we are gonna do when school starts, oldest son is attending a school 35 minutes away...uggg

loris520
07-02-2008, 09:13 AM
We have made a big budget cut in groceries. We were tight before these gas prices and now it seems like we are just holding are heads above the water.

rivercats1
07-02-2008, 09:15 AM
yep cutting back here too.

I line dry everything.
keep the lights turned off and open the doors and blinds.
I use coupons and only buy whats on sale. Stock up on really good deals.

We also watch the amount of trips we take in the car. Once a week shopping trips for us. I wish I could cut it back to once every two weeks since I really hate grocery shopping.

Gas here is $4.65.

dianepost
07-02-2008, 09:33 AM
Not cutting back yet, Natural gas and electric are going to rise almost 30% more by fall.
I have worked all my life and struggled to save for when i get a little older, and because of the economy, i am starting to get into the savings a little bit. I pay myself before i do anything else. I have made some wise investments that have helped me to save for times like this, I am not going to stop enjoying myself, or do without for as long as possible. Hopefully that will be the day i am returned to the earth. I don't have credit cards and i never live beyond what i can afford. I garden and i can my own vegetables. i have fruit trees and I stock pile when i find great deals. If i don't grow it, i go to the farmers market and find it.
It is never too late to start saving and planning for the future as i see it, it is not about to get better anytime soon.
If everyone could only put away a few dollars a month it will certainly add up.

tonka06405
07-02-2008, 09:45 AM
have not been affected by gas prices because i only live 1.5 miles from work.

lassss
07-02-2008, 09:55 AM
The only thing we changed is we went from oil to gas heating/hot water. Our oil budget jumped from $224/month to 395. We also use the Harley more but that is because it is so nice out.

magickay
07-02-2008, 10:06 AM
Pretty fortunate so far...we don't have kids, and our home was paid off years ago, so we don't have those expenses to worry about. I am using coupons more for grocery shopping (thanks in part to this wonderful board and all the helpful tips).

Prunella
07-02-2008, 10:19 AM
No car = no gas = no change in my lifestyle.

dispatcher
07-02-2008, 10:24 AM
I read an article a few days ago that said that 90% of US families have been forced to make lifestyle changes due to the cost of gasoline.

We've cut back drastically on the use of the air conditioner.

We took off all extras on the home phone except caller ID. It reduced the monthly bill by a little over $40. Turned our internet back to the cheapest option that suits the needs of our family, for a savings of $12 a month.

We open the blinds on the windows instead of using lights.

We have made changes to our menu and started eating less meat based meals. We're using more rice instead of potatoes, because I refuse to pay $5 for 10 lbs of potatoes. Next year, I'll plant potatoes. We've cut out all junk food items and sodas. We rarely buy any convenience foods anymore, unless I find a really good sale and have good coupons for something.

We planted a garden. Next year, we will plant a garden twice the size of the one we did this year.

We carpool with a friend or family member for shopping, and split the cost of the gas.

We only go to work, church, doctors appointments and the grocery store. No pleasure trips for our family anymore.

How have the rising prices affected your lifestyle?

just call me a hermit.

THEpouty1
07-02-2008, 10:36 AM
dh and I were talking about how it's nice that's it's summertime because I don't have to drive as often or as far. We're saving all we can for when school starts back up for me (I have a 100 mile a day drive 4x/week). Fortunately, I'll be driving his little car - which I didn't before because I had to pick up the kids and there wasn't enough room - but now with only 2 that I need to pick up, it works out better.

sheila_361
07-02-2008, 10:58 AM
no changes here, for the most part Hal will book someone close enough to where we live to pick him up and take him to work, we try to do all our errands all at once.

Heidi
07-02-2008, 11:01 AM
DH figured it up yesterday and we are paying about $750 a month for gas for our two vehicles. The only change we have made is if I'm not working DH drives my Honda car to work instead of his big truck. But since I'm full time now that doesn't happen too often.

suprtruckr
07-02-2008, 11:13 AM
No car = no gas = no change in my lifestyle.

same here

April78945
07-02-2008, 11:37 AM
right now, it's not a huge deal because I don't go anywhere that far.

I walked my daughter to school and fromschool every day (her school is a mile away)
I walk to the grocery store whenI only need a few things
I havent'been able to go to my mom's as much as I would like. She lived 45 min away and we usually do "Mommy Mondays" where we swim, cook out and have fun until nighttime and then the kids fall asleep on the way home. Works for everyone. I have only been able to doit a few times this year..I miss my mom so much, she is my best friend and we talk a million times a day

ladybugva
07-02-2008, 11:58 AM
mostly we think before we go any where, haven't been to the amusement park as much. Dh has a motorcycle so he takes that to work and it's cheep on gas. I have most every thing think need w/in 5 min of me (grocery store, walmart, work...) so mostly I don't go to places like the mall as much b/c it's not as close I think before going over there.

for us it's more that DH's dept at work (relocation mortages) has now dropped the local dept and he is starting next week a new division. We are thankful he has a job but we aren't getting the bonus' that helps up though the year like last year. We have to watch what we are doing b/c of that and I am trying to pick up some late night shifts at work.

Eyore
07-02-2008, 12:01 PM
Thankfully, it hasn't affected us to much. But I still try to watch and save when I can. I try to leave lights off as much as I can but with others here that isn't always possible. I am hanging clothes more than I had been. I do use coupons and watch for sales.
I don't do alot of running around anyway so that helps. But I did get rid of my 2001 Jeep that was getting 16-17 miles to a gallon and was starting to need work and got a new car that is better on gas.
We still have a 1994 Jeep but that is parked it drinks gas badly. But it does well in the winter so if we need it in the winter it will be here. Hubby drives a older truck and gets about 17 miles to a gallon. Hoping to find a cheap car for him that is better on gas and he can park the truck then.

JustDoIt
07-02-2008, 12:17 PM
Although it hasn't really affected us yet, we have started changing our habits. I'll only do errands maybe twice a week instead of 4 times, and I only use my car when I go to work. Other then that, we always take sweetie's car, because it's a lor cheaper on gas. We also invite people over more, rather then drive all over visiting others all the time. It's nice to be home and have a nice Sunday barbecue with friends and family, and it's really cheap on gas. :)

We also started going for walks after supper, the three of us. And we'll treat ourselves to an ice cream cone. It's a lot cheaper then filling up the gas tank, and a great work out too. :)

dv8grl
07-02-2008, 05:23 PM
No real changes here. We got DH a motorcycle last fall, so that really helps, even though I'm a nervous wreak whenever he takes it out.
We both work fairly close to our home & we have everything we need in our little suburb., so driving far is not something we have to do often.

Mary Jo
07-02-2008, 05:40 PM
I was barely making ends meet before all this.
I use car to get to work and back and to the grocery store once a week. Sometimes I'll do some shopping at places along they way.
Luckily the library is on the way home from work. Yup, I haven't bought a book in years. The library is free. In fact my library has a good selection of DVD's so I don't have to rent videos.
I line dry clothes. In winter clothes are line dried in the basement often. Most wash is done in cold water.
Heat is set at 67 in winter. AC is set at 78-80.
Summer is good cause then I have fresh veggies. I freeze a lot of summer veggies like peppers for winter.
Freebies are especially good for toothpaste and deodorant.
Even the poor cat gets freebie cat food when I can find it.
I've cut back on make-up. Only got 2 colors of lipstick now and 2 eyeshadows. No more experimenting with colors.
TV and everything attached is unplugged what not in use. Most light bulbs are CFL's.
Always trying to think of ways to save more money.
Haven't been to a movie all year.
It's tough and I don't see it getting better soon.

rlynn411
07-02-2008, 07:16 PM
No major changes here. I do tend to to plan trips a little better - however I have not yet cut back on my 3-4 trips a week to Tim Horton's for the Ice Cappuccinos. I plan a little better when going to the grocery, have cut back on a few of the convenience items I would normally get such as Bob Evan potatoes I could microwave for quick side dish items. Try to do most of my grocery shopping at Giant Eagle where I get 20 cents of a gallon for every $50 spent and also will pick up misc gift cards there for Kohl's or restaurants etc to get the gas savings also.

msmom79
07-02-2008, 07:51 PM
i am a single person-so it hasnt affected me that much-my homes paid for-i have wood heat-i do keep the lights off during the day,and if im not in a room the lights are not on-i always use coupons when i can.i just paid my truck off,so i dont have that payment-but dang-gas is high and here lately tips are low-so other people feeling it-makes me feel it. we"re at $4.00 here

galeane29
07-03-2008, 04:22 AM
DH figured it up yesterday and we are paying about $750 a month for gas for our two vehicles. The only change we have made is if I'm not working DH drives my Honda car to work instead of his big truck. But since I'm full time now that doesn't happen too often.

OMG $750 a MONTH on gas? How far does he have to drive each day?

We have 2 trucks a Avalanche and a Silverado and we dont spend half that a month.

galeane29
07-03-2008, 04:26 AM
The only way it has effected us is the need for construction work around he has declined so not as much work for DH. I have picked up a few part time work at home jobs so that helps out a lot. Plus I use coupons like crazy so I have cut our grocery bill's in half in the last few months (trying to get it down more lol) We are homebodies anyways so the only time we really drive anywhere is when DH goes to work of If I need to run to town for groceries or something for the kids. We do not go to the movies as we have our own 'theater' at home as DH says.

PrincessArky
07-03-2008, 04:48 AM
we have cut back on everything..........trips to town are combined or skipped, we are buying less food and making it last a bet longer (even learning to can veggies), ac isnt as low as I would like it, and I invested in a clothes line to put up outside behind the house...........hoping this time the dirt from the road won't cover the clothes

LuvBigRip
07-03-2008, 06:55 AM
I am really fortunate that I live where I do. Work is less than a mile, the kids schools less than a 1/2 mile. I do car pool witha lady from work, but even if I drive to 3 grocery stores and Walmart, it is less than a 5 mile round trip. The mall is only 6 miles and that is from one side of town to the other. We have always cut coupons, truned lights out, shut rooms that were not in use, and generally been frugal.

cabby92
07-03-2008, 07:32 AM
This summer is great for me, but I dread school starting again. I work 10 miles from home but on school days I pass it by and drive another 9 miles to meet my son's school bus. Luckily they drop him off at my office but if I have to shop I go back into town after work. On Wednesdays I drive the full 19 miles into town to the allergist then take him the other 12 miles to school, then backtrack to my office. It eats up the gas. I'll have to tighten things up come September.

YankeeMary
07-03-2008, 08:30 AM
It hasn't affected us alot but we certainly are aware of it. DH works VO and I am a stay at homer. So we really only go shopping or taking Brady to work which is 1.3 miles from home or Gracie to her music/gym classes which are like 18 miles away. Other than that we rarely go anywhere.

Mary_Jo3
07-03-2008, 09:55 AM
We cut corners everywhere we can.
Food, eggs almost $3 a dozen??, we cut back on food, we don't go out, we cut back our cable, turned up the air, we give cash for gifts (no wrapping paper or bows), coupon, free samples (gota love um), hubby rides motorcycle more, don't leave the house, shorter showers, pull the shades so the sun doesn't heat up the house, catch rain water to water the plants, borrow more from the library, mow less (just wait a couple extra days), check our tires, unplug everything when not in use including computer and TV only plug in the DVD player when we are going to watch a movie otherwise it just flashes 00:00 anyway, don't turn on the oven, keep water in the fridge so you don't have to run the tap until it gets cold, wash only when you get a full load (clothes and dishes), spend more time in the basement family room (it's cooler) sometimes sleep down there, and the list goes on. Oh and I keep a running list of everything we need or are low on so if I'm at the store or near a store I can pick it up, put it in the google documents so I can check it from work (quickly and quietly). Started a pantry, and overflow shelf in the basement for when stuff goes on sale, TP, canned goods, laundry soap etc. Almost completely stopped using paper towels, started a rag bag like my mom had. Want a cloths line but afraid of all the wasps and we have alot around here, was stung bad as a child by a wasp folded in some line dried clothes. If anyone has anymore ideas post them for everyone, because it's not just gas going up, it's everything that needs to be trucked in, utilities on the rise, I don't see any end in sight.

Eyore
07-03-2008, 11:09 AM
Want a cloths line but afraid of all the wasps and we have alot around here, was stung bad as a child by a wasp folded in some line dried clothes

When you bring them in throw them in dryer for a few minutes. That will take the stiffness out of them and I would think kill any bugs or bees in them.
I do that when I hang them out, plus when I fold them I try to watch for any bugs. So far so good.

flute
07-03-2008, 11:46 AM
We might have to give SERIOUS thought to declaring bankrupcy.

That is how bad our situation is

PrincessArky
07-03-2008, 11:54 AM

I feel for ya there......after my divorce I ended up having to that :(

ang in NC
07-03-2008, 01:13 PM
We spent $500 last month on gas. I can't cut back any more than I am. I hang out clothes. Sell cans, and yes I pick them out of trash cans/ roads etc. If someone told me I would do that 25 yrs ago I would of laugh at them!!

freebielover
07-03-2008, 02:57 PM
I'm lucky enough that the gas/food prices haven't affected us at all. I have started giving more to food banks and I have been helping my parents out a bit since they're having a tough time right now. I hope all of us in the North can survive this winter with oil at these prices.

DrGrin
07-03-2008, 05:38 PM
When you bring them in throw them in dryer for a few minutes. That will take the stiffness out of them and I would think kill any bugs or bees in them.
I do that when I hang them out, plus when I fold them I try to watch for any bugs. So far so good.

You can put them in the dryer for a few minutes before hanging them on the line, and they will be much softer when they get dry.

whatever
07-05-2008, 03:52 PM

Wow, so sorry for you, my dh and i were just talkin today. I dont know how alot of people are doing it. Its getting really hard for us. We used to be pretty well off every month. NOT anymore!! In the past 3 years everthing here, from groc. to gas, and LP has gone up at least 50%. So Everything i save back thru the year goes out the window now.
We used to going camping every other week. now only once per month so far. OUR truck (has big block) only gets about 8/per gal. so its sits ALOT!
It drives my dh mad. I make him drive my car. its the best on gas out of our fleet.
I unplug everything when not in use. other than that there are not many ways i can cut back. I was already doing it. I already lined dry clothes etc.
We are now switching to the newer light bulbs. I'm considering the making of my own cleaning products when my stockpile runs out.

whatever
07-05-2008, 03:53 PM
We spent $500 last month on gas. I can't cut back any more than I am. I hang out clothes. Sell cans, and yes I pick them out of trash cans/ roads etc. If someone told me I would do that 25 yrs ago I would of laugh at them!!

I do that too sometimes. p*sses my dh off, LOL

fleabones3
07-06-2008, 11:57 AM
I have a large family--5 kids still at home. The gas and food prices are really hurting us. Hubby works more than usual now. One of my son's just got diagnosed with ADHD, Intermittent Explosive Anger DIsorder, Depressive Disorder, Conduct Disorder and temporal lobe epilepsy. His psychiatrist and neurologist are 45 mins away ( our town dont thinks its neccessary to have them here) . Plus insurance only pays for half the neurologist.
I dont buy milk anymore.. refuse to pay $4.30 for a gallon of milk. I live in Oklahoma, never realized cows were going extinct.
We do a lot of eating lite, such as sandwiches, noodles, etc to cut back on meat. I hit the items on a good sale. I dont have a printer so I cant print off coupons.

VALENA-)45
07-07-2008, 09:04 AM
Even though there are only two of us, myself and sweetie, we have cut back a lot. He hurt his knee about 3 months ago, and had to have surgery to repair a torn cartlege. I get ssi, so I pay all of my bills and Sable, my car gets here share for gas. We both have doctor appointments and I try to make them on the same day with about an hour apart. We go food shopping once every two weeks. I thank the lord every day, that i stocked up on laundry and dish soap, and other such items, including meats when they were on sale. We also help my dd, out when she has to go places far from her house with her three children, half the time, I get her to pay for gas, so I can spend time with my grand babies. I save as much pennies as I can. And I won't be having as many cookouts as I did last summer, hey I can't feed everybody all of the time, unless they come up with some of the food. It is really hard when sweetie is out of work, I can't wait for him to go back. I dropped my cellphone and it broke, I had to fall back on an old one. I can't get a new one until a month after sweetie goes back to work, bills come first. Wishing everyone a great summer.