PDA

View Full Version : Man tries to pay ticket with pennies and is jailed

galeane29
07-02-2008, 08:40 AM
http://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2008/06/30/Man_tries_to_pay_bond_with_filthy_pennies/UPI-97231214859508/

CENTER JUNCTION, Iowa, June 30 (UPI) -- An Iowa man arrested for driving with a bad tire was jailed after trying to use soiled pennies and rumpled dollar bills to pay a bond, court documents indicate. James R. Ward, 60, of Center Junction, Iowa, was ordered Thursday to spend a week in Scott County Jail after he was arrested May 12, for operating a tractor trailer on the highway with a faulty tire, court records say.
Ward was ordered to pay $68.20 in fines and court fees, the Quad-City Times in Davenport, Iowa, reported.
When Ward said he planned to take his case to a jury trial, Associate Court Judge Christine Dalton decided he needed to post a $100 bond, the newspaper said.
Officials said Ward brought a box of dirty pennies and wrinkled dollar bills to the clerk's office Thursday in an effort to satisfy the bond.
The office only takes up to $3 in pennies for all payments, the report said.

My thoughts are, money is money and this case pisses me off. He obviously didn't have a whole lot of money so he tried to pay with what he had, so what do they do? Make him pay more money , what IDIOTS!

luvcub
07-02-2008, 08:46 AM
this is bad,hard cash is hard cash,and over a faulty tire??? Iowa whould be ashamed of themselves,money hungry officals.

dangerousfem
07-02-2008, 08:47 AM
that is so wrong..

freeby4me
07-02-2008, 08:54 AM
I think he did it on purpose to be an ass about it. He could have taken the stuff to the bank and exchanged it for bills.

One other thing about this story, in one part it says he was jailed for trying to pay for the fine with pennies, in another part it says he was jailed after driving with a faulty tire. Which is it?

PrincessArky
07-02-2008, 09:09 AM
I think he did it on purpose to be an ass about it. He could have taken the stuff to the bank and exchanged it for bills.

One other thing about this story, in one part it says he was jailed for trying to pay for the fine with pennies, in another part it says he was jailed after driving with a faulty tire. Which is it?

thats what I want to know? AND what exactly was wrong with the tire??? I know me personally I dont want to be around an 18 wheeler with a tire that could blow at any moment (had that happen once and just the tire blowing freaked me out)

I dont agree with how the judge raised it after he said he wanted a jury trial BUT at the same time I want to know exactly how he said thats what he wanted. I saw my dad totally lose his cool in court once and had I been the judge I would have jailed him just for that lol

freeby4me
07-02-2008, 09:52 AM
thats what I want to know? AND what exactly was wrong with the tire??? I know me personally I dont want to be around an 18 wheeler with a tire that could blow at any moment (had that happen once and just the tire blowing freaked me out)

I dont agree with how the judge raised it after he said he wanted a jury trial BUT at the same time I want to know exactly how he said thats what he wanted. I saw my dad totally lose his cool in court once and had I been the judge I would have jailed him just for that lol

Excellent points, if he was being a jerk about the whole thing then heck yea I can see why they wouldnt be willing to work with him.

I think theres more to the story, it just sounds way too one sided, the poor victim.

Pepsi4me
07-02-2008, 09:58 AM
I think the man was just trying to be a jerk by bringing in the pennies & dollars.

Go to the bank & change them in.

suprtruckr
07-02-2008, 11:22 AM
when i drove i kept a change box in the cab, and all change went into it, and if he was in a truck you can't get into a bank parking lot with a big truck

MONEY IS MONEY

flute
07-02-2008, 11:29 AM
stupid waste of tax payers' time

Jolie Rouge
07-02-2008, 01:54 PM
I had read about this earlier and the report ( I'll look for it and post ) said that the pennies were covered with a "foul sticky substance" and the workers had to put on gloves to seperate them. If he deliberately put something in with the coins to be nasty .... if he had already behaved badly in court .... then I can see the judge coming down hard.

PrincessArky
07-02-2008, 06:55 PM
I had read about this earlier and the report ( I'll look for it and post ) said that the pennies were covered with a "foul sticky substance" and the workers had to put on gloves to seperate them. If he deliberately put something in with the coins to be nasty .... if he had already behaved badly in court .... then I can see the judge coming down hard.

yeah thats something I was wondering about when they said it was "soiled" being a mom of 4 kids I can tell ya anything soiled in my house isnt anything I would had someone else lol