PDA

View Full Version : I need ideas on what to bring to a BBQ/Pig Roast

Pepsi4me
06-30-2008, 09:48 PM
In-laws are having a pig roast/bbq on Saturday. We want to bring something but all the usual foods are already being made. Any ideas?

They are already doing the usual salads(mac,potato,coleslaw)

They have all the chips, watermelons, drinks...etc...

ntgsmommy
06-30-2008, 10:02 PM
deviled eggs? bbq bacon baked beans?

Pepsi4me
06-30-2008, 10:03 PM
deviled eggs? bbq bacon baked beans?

Yeah mom-in-law has the beans covered but the eggs are a good idea. Thanks.

ntgsmommy
06-30-2008, 10:06 PM
your welcome!

Kimberly61
06-30-2008, 10:22 PM
when we have or go to shin digs someone always brings taco salad and it is always a hit, not sure thats one of the usuals for yours or not. How about some goody packs of different kinds of candies in it...put a few pieces on a square of saran wrap and tie it up with some curling ribbon in festive colors for people to snack on?

Pepsi4me
06-30-2008, 10:27 PM
when we have or go to shin digs someone always brings taco salad and it is always a hit, not sure thats one of the usuals for yours or not. How about some goody packs of different kinds of candies in it...put a few pieces on a square of saran wrap and tie it up with some curling ribbon in festive colors for people to snack on?

I really like the candy idea & sis-in-law is the one who always brings the taco salad to every event.

I love taco salad!

Taterbo
06-30-2008, 11:33 PM
Three suggestions ..#1 Brownies..large pans of brownies one with nuts and one with out...Easy to eat..no need to frost...Maybe sprinkle the tops with some some of the mini M&M's for color...

If you are thinking food item...What about making pin wheels..Use the large size tortilla flats and make a cream cheese bases spread and then add sliced deli meats with lettuce and maybe some banana peppers, pimentos, the sandwich style pickles...roll-up and slice in sections....(make-sure your lettuce is dry before adding..helps keep them from getting soggy)

OR the infamous Grape jelly and Chili sauce meatballs or mini wieners...They are hit anytime of year...

tarasdream
07-01-2008, 01:25 AM
macaroni and cheese is usually a big hit, or even a huge green salad or fruit salad. or some trays of pepperoni, crackers and cheese.

IthinkNOT!
07-01-2008, 02:58 AM
Why not some hot dogs or sloppy joe?

Surfergal
07-01-2008, 03:15 AM
//I agree a tray of cut up veggis and dip, or fresh fruits cut up or a fresh fruit salad- great for everyone watching calories. Even a large tossed lettuce salad with lots of diff. veggi's and fruit and nuts too would be nice.

Our summer big picnic I always look forward to tasting the "new that year " salad recipes, like the layered salad I had there first, the spagetti salad, and the salad with the ramen noodles and cabbage etc. anyone know anything new this year?

LitWtch
07-01-2008, 03:23 AM
Brownies are a great idea - I get mini Snickers bars and cut them up, toss them on top just when they come out of the oven, and they are always a big hit.

Linguini salad also - big hit, and not your usual mayo based salad. Perhaps fruit kebobb?

DAVESBABYDOLL
07-01-2008, 04:25 AM
Why not some hot dogs or sloppy joe?

That's a great idea!

evrita
07-01-2008, 06:23 AM
Stella Dora Cookies

1 small can crushed pineapple (drained)
8-oz cream cheese (softened)
8-oz Cool Whip
1 bag Stella Dora Cookies

Cut cookies in half

Mix together pineapples, cream cheese & Cool Whip. Put mixture inside cookies and refrigerate

lassss
07-01-2008, 06:32 AM
cucumber/orange salad..it sounds like a horrible mix but it is actually very good.

Peel and slice cucumbers, cut out seeds. peel oranges and slice.

Alternate slices and drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper (lightly). You can also add just a lil bit of sugar. If you do add sugar, mix it with the vinegar first

G'maDebbie
07-01-2008, 06:55 AM
This is what I am making for our 4th of July get together...it is always a big hit!

http://www.kraftfoods.com/kf/recipes/recipedetail.htm?recipe_id=65084&smid=1003013

gmyers
07-01-2008, 07:53 AM
Ya'll are giving me some good ideas for the fourth thanks.

rivercats1
07-01-2008, 08:05 AM
Stella Dora Cookies

1 small can crushed pineapple (drained)
8-oz cream cheese (softened)
8-oz Cool Whip
1 bag Stella Dora Cookies

Cut cookies in half

Mix together pineapples, cream cheese & Cool Whip. Put mixture inside cookies and refrigerate

I love that recipe and have made it a few times, it is always a big hit. However around my area I have a hard time finding the right cookie. Our stores just don't carry them.

Anig2u
07-01-2008, 08:26 AM
I say go with the sloppy joes since everyone loves them!! :)

Kelsey1224
07-01-2008, 08:37 AM
Wow...great suggestions! I will have to remember some of these when I need to take something to a potluck.

gmyers
07-01-2008, 08:39 AM
Great ideas everybody.

Pepsi4me
07-01-2008, 09:09 AM
Nope only Pork(pig roast) & Kaboobs dont need the hot dogs & sloppy joes really dont go with a bbq.

Thank you all for the very Helpful suggestions now I have some ideas on what to bring.

dinosmom
07-01-2008, 09:15 AM
I always bring Orzo Salad because its usually requested. It can sit out and you dont have to worry about it spoiling. It can be served cold or at room temp.

Orzo Salad

Ingredients
i pound of orzo pasta cooked
1 clove of garlic
1 Tsp salt
1 cup parsley, minced
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1 Tsp. curry powder
1 Tsp. sugar
3/4 Tsp cumin
Pinch of pepper
1 cup olive oil
2 small green onion chopped
1 cup sliced kalamata olives
2/3 cup dried currants
2/3 cup pine nuts

Place 1 clove garlic,1 Tsp salt, and the 1 cup parsley in a food processor,blend in 1/4 cup lemon juice, 1/4 cup red wine vinegar, 1 Tsp each,curry powder,and sugar and 3/4 Tsp of cumin and a pinch of pepper. With the machine running slowly add the 1 cup of olive oil.

Pour over pasta, add the green onion, and the sliced kalamata olives, currants and the pine nuts.

flute
07-01-2008, 09:38 AM
I guarentee you no one will bring this:

http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Vegetable-Bobbers

Pepsi4me
07-01-2008, 09:47 AM
I guarentee you no one will bring this:

http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Vegetable-Bobbers

Thos are so cute. I love them!

freeby4me
07-01-2008, 09:59 AM
Have you decided what you're taking yet?? Im really curious lol so many good ideas on here!

nightrider127
07-01-2008, 10:09 AM

Pepsi4me
07-01-2008, 10:21 AM
Have you decided what you're taking yet?? Im really curious lol so many good ideas on here!

Not sure yet. We still have a few days.

Dorthy
07-01-2008, 10:51 AM
My Mom makes the Stella Dora ones too, but she also makes them with cherries. Whenever she is invited to a function, everyone requests that she make them. She also started a mac and recipe years ago when I was a child. You use kraft mac and cheese, diced ham ( I usually go to the deli and ask them for a 1/8 pound unsliced ham for each two boxes I am making and dice it up), diced tomatoes, and sliced mushrooms ( I usually use canned, reserve the juices, and use some of the juice instead of milk and butter). Make a butter and a light coat bread crumb topping for the top, sprinkle over it. Bake on 350 for 25 minutes. Mmmm, my mouth is watering just thinking about it.

Eyore
07-01-2008, 11:23 AM
Peel cucumbers, remove seeds or leave in if you like. This is the only way I know to make this, Using a 2 cup measuring cup put 1/2 cup vinegar in, then fill with sugar until it gets to 1 cup or a little above, Then fill it up to the 2 cup mark with water. Stir and pour over your cucumbers. If you like onions add onion slices to it and if you want it sweeter add more sugar. This I make the day before so it can sit overnight and blend. I also stir it after it has been in the fridge some to make sure the sugar is dissolving.

bears984
07-01-2008, 11:28 AM
well first off you bring yourself with a BIG appitate lol then vegie trays always go over real well and cookies

Pepsi4me
07-01-2008, 11:39 AM
well first off you bring yourself with a BIG appitate lol then vegie trays always go over real well and cookies

We will bring big appetites...LOL!

I'm thinking of maybe doing a large tray of different kinds of desserts.

PinkAquila
07-01-2008, 11:53 AM
Take a unique dessert.
On one of our church's potlucks, and my youngest son's class party I took hamburger cookies

you use vanilla wafers as the buns
on one wafer you spread white frosting (mayo_
then put a york mint patty on next (hamburger)
use yellow fruit roll ups (cheese)
dye shredded coconut (lettuce)
green round gummies (pickles)
Put on the top bun (wafer)
brush lightly with honey, and put a couple of
sesames seeds on top.

they look really cute, and my boys helped make them,
it was a fun family project I guess you would say.

DAVESBABYDOLL
07-01-2008, 01:33 PM

Pepsi4me
07-01-2008, 01:39 PM
Take a unique dessert.
On one of our church's potlucks, and my youngest son's class party I took hamburger cookies

you use vanilla wafers as the buns
on one wafer you spread white frosting (mayo_
then put a york mint patty on next (hamburger)
use yellow fruit roll ups (cheese)
dye shredded coconut (lettuce)
green round gummies (pickles)
Put on the top bun (wafer)
brush lightly with honey, and put a couple of
sesames seeds on top.

they look really cute, and my boys helped make them,
it was a fun family project I guess you would say.

That's a really cute idea.

IthinkNOT!
07-01-2008, 05:59 PM
I still say that sloppy joes would be good.

Pepsi4me
07-01-2008, 06:05 PM
I think we will do a dessert tray hubby makes awesome woopie pies & cream puffs. I will make some cinammon swirl muffins & maybe one other dessert.

Thanks everyone.