PDA

View Full Version : Uggghhhhhhh

sill ahh
06-29-2008, 10:11 PM
The stupid state passed a public smoking ban and July 1 it goes into effect. I work in a bar for cripes sake, 90% of the people who come in, smoke, including myself. How the hell am I, gonna make it Thur a shift without a cig., I can't go outside and I don't have anyone that could cover a break for me. I swear I'll kill someone before this week is out.

I keep hearing how my smoking infringes on peoples rights to breathe clean air, well guess what, this law infringes on my right to smoke. Oh i know non smokers want to be able to go out and do whatever without being subjected to cig. smoke, that's fine, but we're talking about bars, it's part of the atmosphere, smoke, loud music, beer and pool tables. Why can't we just post a sign on the door that says this is establishment allows smoking, that way if you don't want to be around it, you can go somewhere else. Given this choice then some smart person out there would make their place smoke free to pick up the non smoking business. This law is going to put a bunch of smaller places out of business, I know personally I'm less likely to go out now.

OK, I think I'm done, I need a cig.

Pepsi4me
06-29-2008, 10:25 PM
I dont smoke so I dont know what your going through. Just wanted to give you a :hug

kelblend
06-29-2008, 11:01 PM
They did that here last year. I went to ky this weekend for a basketball tournament. I went into a alcohol and tobacco store and the people were actually smoking in the shop! They didn't even have the cigs locked up like in Ohio. lol I know in a lodge my stepmom goes to someone would show up and fine them if they caught anyone smoking. I agree with the sign idea. I believe the owner of an establishment should be allowed to decide either way. It should be told to a perspective employee and they could make the decision as to whether or not to work there.

hotwheelstx
06-30-2008, 03:53 AM
Gov. enforced this last year here. It really does suck. Except here bars and restaurants have the option to build an outside place if they allow smokers. Needless to say Aggie and I don't go anywhere much anymore. We live on the outskirts of Houston....still in the city limits. However, most of where we do go still allows smokers.

OmaLisa
06-30-2008, 04:01 AM
Are you in Iowa? I know the smoking ban goes into effect here tomorrow and I also think it sucks. I know I won't be going out much anymore.

The stupid state passed a public smoking ban and July 1 it goes into effect. I work in a bar for cripes sake, 90% of the people who come in, smoke, including myself. How the hell am I, gonna make it Thur a shift without a cig., I can't go outside and I don't have anyone that could cover a break for me. I swear I'll kill someone before this week is out.

I keep hearing how my smoking infringes on peoples rights to breathe clean air, well guess what, this law infringes on my right to smoke. Oh i know non smokers want to be able to go out and do whatever without being subjected to cig. smoke, that's fine, but we're talking about bars, it's part of the atmosphere, smoke, loud music, beer and pool tables. Why can't we just post a sign on the door that says this is establishment allows smoking, that way if you don't want to be around it, you can go somewhere else. Given this choice then some smart person out there would make their place smoke free to pick up the non smoking business. This law is going to put a bunch of smaller places out of business, I know personally I'm less likely to go out now.

OK, I think I'm done, I need a cig.

PrincessArky
06-30-2008, 04:47 AM
I know some ppl that only smoke when they drink so I think when they do the banning in the bars that is just stupid

mirage7000
06-30-2008, 04:52 AM
My state of NY I believe was one of the first to start this. I have seen many small businesses fold. I could have cried when my favorite bar and restaurant folded up because of no smoking. They had the best and cheapest lobster dinner around for 16.95. It's horrible to go anywhere in the winter. No businesses went through the expense of building an extra room for smokers. You have to go outside. I only go out in the summer now. It does suck!

dv8grl
06-30-2008, 05:03 AM
Here in Nashville., alot of restaurants that have been around for years, have had to close & they blame it all on the newly imposed smoking ban.

The argument was., well all those non-smokers will come out in droves, now that they can relax in a smoke free environment... WRONG! Those people who fought so hard to get a smoking ban passed., are the people WHO NEVER GO OUT ANYWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!

<----coming from an ex-smoker!

Freebeemom
06-30-2008, 05:29 AM
Well, it seems to be fine in Chicago. No more going to places and coming out smelling like smoke. Especially in restaurants. Man, how gross.

Do you know how many irresponsible smokers there are? So many butts on the ground? Etc...

I live with a smoker, who does it outside, and I wish he would quit. It is a nasty habit....it costs more than a gallon of gas (Close, though).

Bravo to the states for listening to special interest groups on this one. How can you argue that people just shouldn't be breathing in smoke? Logically, it just doesn't make sense.

don't throw your lighter out the window right away, many establishments have put tents up outside, and have made a patio for smokers so you can smoke em if you got em, just 15 feet from the door....

galeane29
06-30-2008, 05:35 AM
There was a smoking ban put into effect where I live a couple of years ago. It even includes outside of public places AND you will get a ticket if caught throwing a butt out of your car window.

I quit smoking 4 years ago, i'm glad I did.

OmaLisa
06-30-2008, 05:41 AM
Yes, some establishments have outdoor patios but I know I won't be going outside when its 5 degrees below zero in the winter time. I'll just stay at home where I am comfortable.

Yes, I know all about how smoking is not good for me or others. Irresponsible smokers, etc., etc. My question is why don't they make cigarettes illegal then? Everyone knows how bad they are for our health. I have an answer. All the cigarette taxes the states would lose. Seriously, think about it.

Well, it seems to be fine in Chicago. No more going to places and coming out smelling like smoke. Especially in restaurants. Man, how gross.

Do you know how many irresponsible smokers there are? So many butts on the ground? Etc...

I live with a smoker, who does it outside, and I wish he would quit. It is a nasty habit....it costs more than a gallon of gas (Close, though).

Bravo to the states for listening to special interest groups on this one. How can you argue that people just shouldn't be breathing in smoke? Logically, it just doesn't make sense.

don't throw your lighter out the window right away, many establishments have put tents up outside, and have made a patio for smokers so you can smoke em if you got em, just 15 feet from the door....

CLARKS4
06-30-2008, 06:31 AM
Yes, some establishments have outdoor patios but I know I won't be going outside when its 5 degrees below zero in the winter time. I'll just stay at home where I am comfortable.

Yes, I know all about how smoking is not good for me or others. Irresponsible smokers, etc., etc. My question is why don't they make cigarettes illegal then? Everyone knows how bad they are for our health. I have an answer. All the cigarette taxes the states would lose. Seriously, think about it.

Just the same with alcohol. Please dont flame me. I'm just stating my opinion. They wont make alcohol illegal either because all the tax money.

Now then, If you drink alcohol or you smoke cigs that is totally up tp you. I dont care one way or the other as long as you arent around me or mine. If you smoke please have enough courtsey to step away from me. As far as the ban, I dont think its right. I am a non smoker and have a child with asthma. I just dont think the government should be able to tell you where you can smoke. I know the places that allow smoking so I choose not to go there. Just plain and simple. I just think that if the government keeps making these bans then we arent gonna have anything left. Next thing you know it will be what you can eat and drink.
I hope you all see what I'm trying to say. LOL

Jenefer3
06-30-2008, 06:38 AM
Where I live, smoking is banned in all indoor places and within 25 feet of a business's front door. of course that doesn't stop the employees from smoking near it anyways, especially our hospital - they smoke right where you have to go through to get to the ER...that's always helpful when you're taking your child in for an asthma attack.

luvcub
06-30-2008, 06:49 AM
They did that here in Az last yr,your right,its going to be rough in the bars,and in the rest. Alot of people worried over this,many many people built outdoor patios hoping to keep their patrons. My husband refused to go to anyplace to eat because of this,he was so mad. I smoke,I am what I am,and if someone doesnt like the smoke-move your crack to another booth,seat,room,car,city,state,and please dont drive you car,bus,truck,airplane,motorcycle,because all these pollute the air I breath.lol

msmom79
06-30-2008, 05:36 PM
I AM A SMOKER TOO-and yes i know it is wrong-i so do not agree with this non-smoking places-and my thoughts on this are-if i cannot smoke where i want-then you need to take your tax off my cigs-cause i dont want to pay for your stuff with my money-i know alot of you are going to think-that the way i think is wrong,but to me it isnt,i have been told for years the reason my cigs are going up is because they need that money for other things-well if they are gonna keep taking things away from me-then they need to take the tax away from my cigs,as they dont need my money anymore. i work at a non smoking restraunt-i have for 7 years-i do go outside-i can respect that,cause the owner doesnt smoke-so he doesnt allow it in any of his places.i can also respect someone who doesnt like my smoking.but i still think this is unfair-they have also been talking about not allowing people to smoke in their own vechicles-i just think they are pushing this to far.so i guess i will be staying home more myself-and alot of people will think like me-and that will hurt business's big and small.jmho

Pepsi4me
06-30-2008, 05:48 PM
I see nothing wrong with them banning smoking in all indoor public places. Just go outside to smoke is all. If you would rather not go outside then smoke in the privacy of your own home hopefully not around children

sill ahh
06-30-2008, 09:40 PM
I normally don't have a problem with not being able to smoke in certain places, but dang it this is a BAR. We're all adults so the adults who don't wanna be around my smoke can leave. By the way I can't just go outside for a smoke, I have customer's to wait on and no one to cover the bar.

All I can say is my customer's better be prepared for one biznitchy bartender tomorrow night. Just think all the money I save from not smoking can be put toward my bail and defense attorney

Pepsi4me
06-30-2008, 09:43 PM
I normally don't have a problem with not being able to smoke in certain places, but dang it this is a BAR. We're all adults so the adults who don't wanna be around my smoke can leave. By the way I can't just go outside for a smoke, I have customer's to wait on and no one to cover the bar.

All I can say is my customer's better be prepared for one biznitchy bartender tomorrow night. Just think all the money I save from not smoking can be put toward my bail and defense attorney

Cant they get in trouble for you not getting a break?

vicky122
07-01-2008, 04:22 AM
I think that if a person owns their own place it should be up to them.They can put up a sign letting people know.

CLARKS4
07-01-2008, 05:34 AM

Exactly! Bars, drinking, and smoking all go together. You know all that is going to be going on in there, so if you dont like it then dont go in there. Now if it were a family restaraunt it would make me ill to see someone smoking but again if they allowed it I just wouldnt go. I think there should be some way that if the owner chooses to allow it then so be it or the bars should be excempt. Something like that.

You got a point there. You'll be saving money but I dont know about your sanity. LOL

JKATHERINE
07-01-2008, 11:26 AM
Maine went smoke-free in bars a few years ago and it's great! Now non-smokers can go to bars, too! It's been just fine. The smokers go outside for a smoke and then come back in and we ALL can actually breathe in there! I don't go to bars more than a couple times a year, but I was psyched when they passed the ban on all restaurants and bars.

BTW, I'm a reformed smoker and most people will agree that reformed smokers are worse complainers and advocates than anyone who has never smoked. :D

LuvBigRip
07-01-2008, 11:33 AM
We lost a few really good local bars when the law went into effect here in CO. They were not able to keep any clientelle, and most were in locations that did not allow them to build an outdoor smoking area. Some of the large chain bar/restaurants built outdoor ones, now you cannot smoke within 30' of an establishment, so you are screwed there too. I haven't been to a bar in almost 2 years because of it, neither have friends. We typically meet up at each others places and BBQ and have beers in the yard.

JKATHERINE
07-01-2008, 11:34 AM
Here in Maine they're working on banning smoking in vehicles that are carrying children. They've already passed it in one city (Bangor) and the entire state will (hopefully) soon be on board. I'm not one who likes a lot of government intervention and rules, but sometimes you I guess you can't let people make their own decisions because they will choose to be selfish rather than look out for the health & well being of their child/ren. I guess next they should work on pregnant women who smoke... ;)

I don't have a problem with people who choose to smoke, only with people who take away my choice NOT to smoke. I went to HellMart today with my three small children. We couldn't even get in the front door without having to walk through a cloud of cigarette smoke from people sitting on the benches out front smoking. It was disgusting. To top it off, one of my son's is asthmatic. What those jerks don't realize is that they could cause my son respiratory distress or even induce an asthma attack.

Vee030473
07-01-2008, 11:38 AM
Here in Maine they're working on banning smoking in vehicles that are carrying children. They've already passed it in one city (Bangor) and the entire state will (hopefully) soon be on board. I'm not one who likes a lot of government intervention and rules, but sometimes you I guess you can't let people make their own decisions because they will choose to be selfish rather than look out for the health & well being of their child/ren. I guess next they should work on pregnant women who smoke... ;)

I don't have a problem with people who choose to smoke, only with people who take away my choice NOT to smoke. I went to HellMart today with my three small children. We couldn't even get in the front door without having to walk through a cloud of cigarette smoke from people sitting on the benches out front smoking. It was disgusting. To top it off, one of my son's is asthmatic. What those jerks don't realize is that they could cause my son respiratory distress or even induce an asthma attack.

They passed the ban statewide. It goes into effect September 1. I don't think smoking should be allowed in public places either but they should NOT allow people to smoke near entry/exit ways either.

sill ahh
07-01-2008, 11:54 AM

They've already passed that law here and I agree with it. I smoke but I've always done it away from my kids.

Today's the day and I go into work at 4:30, I hope we aren't real busy so I can at least run outside for a puff or two. I've been cutting back smoking at work, casue I knew this was going into effect but still I'm looking at 8 long hours. I'll post when I get home how it went.