PDA

View Full Version : Need help with head lice....

chyna123
06-29-2008, 04:29 PM
How in the world can a person get rid of them? I have 3 daughters and all three have it and I have no funds for the medication shampoo..... All three have THICK hair also... I dont know where they got it but I just want rid of it.....ANY HELP would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Heidi
06-29-2008, 04:59 PM
My daughter got it once from school and I tried at first just using a fine tooth comb to get them out and that didn't work, so I took her to the DR and had to get a prescription strength hair cleaner and then do the fine tooth comb thing again.

taz69
06-29-2008, 04:59 PM
Check with your local health dept-sometimes they will give you the kits. Dollar general has the medicated stuff, not sure how well it works. You will have to wash all bedding, pillows-bag up stuffed animals in garbage bags for a couple of weeks. be sure and treat couches and chairs. They say that putting mayonaisse on, wrapping in saran wrap and then using blow dryer works, but I don't know about that one either. Good Luck!

WVCindy
06-29-2008, 05:06 PM
If you have a medical card or what ever its called it will pay for the shampoo if your doctor prescribes it. I work/worked for years with little angel faces and lice is at least a once a month occurence. Their parents always used their medical card. I have also heard using mayo all over the head then wrapping in trash bags one parent said it smothers the lice....and it helps get the nits loose from the hair shaft. You need to bag up everything in their rooms for at least 2 weeks especially stuffed animals etc. Wash all sheets and blankets in hot water. Don't forget to sweep furniture and carpets good and also car seats. Ugh I know it really sucks for you I used to have to bag up our whole classroom. Good luck.

LitWtch
06-29-2008, 05:12 PM
Did a google search on "how to get rid of head lice" and here are the results. I hope something can help you:

http://www.make-stuff.com/formulas/lice.html

http://www.healthatoz.com/healthatoz/Atoz/common/standard/transform.jsp?requestURI=/healthatoz/Atoz/dc/caz/skin/pedi/alert02252000.jsp
http://www.dhpe.org/infect/lice.html

http://www.howtogetridofstuff.com/pest-control/how-to-get-rid-of-lice

Qtxann315
06-29-2008, 05:49 PM
One thing I did, was buy the cheapest conditioner(Suave), a couple of bottles since you guys have thick hair and a lice comb. I would wet the dry hair with conditioner and then comb it through with a lice comb. Then discard anything on the comb. You will have to do this every other day until there isn't any more nits in it. It's time consuming but it's the best way I found to get rid of lice. I also heard that if you use a shower cap and apply mayo all over the hair, let it sit overnight, and wash the next day, it will kill all the lice, but i'm not sure about the nits though. HTH

tommyjo
06-29-2008, 06:31 PM
i used to use dog shampoo on my girls long hair, the kind that says it kills lice on it.(please no flaming me) it worked

moe265
06-29-2008, 06:35 PM
i used to use dog shampoo on my girls long hair, the kind that says it kills lice on it.(please no flaming me) it worked

When there was an outbreak at my daughters school we did the dog shampoo once a week until we were sure that no one had them anymore. I wasn't taking any chances. I had a hair dresser tell me about it.

rivercats1
06-29-2008, 06:41 PM
Years back when one of my children had a bad bout of lice, the only thing that worked for me and that was after trying the over the counter products was using mayo. Lather the head with whole mayo (not lite or fat free) and put a shower cap on. Let sit for 2 hours. Then when you rinse, rinse with white vinegar. The vinegar loosens up the glue that hold the eggs in place.

Jenefer3
06-29-2008, 06:46 PM
Some insurances will cover lice treatment prescriptions, but not all. What I did when my daughter got it was I combed out her hair in the morning, did it again in the evening, and repeated every day for over a week, plus treated everything - with the spray or by running it in the hot dryer.

Now we put tea tree oil in the shampoo or there's this other stuff that smells like black licorice - can't remember what it's called though. I would call the doctor's office and ask them about the prescriptions though.

tarasdream
06-29-2008, 07:12 PM
get the real mayo that works the best

Kimberly61
06-29-2008, 07:54 PM
my stepdaughter come home one summer from spending time with her mom and had it bad, she has real long THICK curly hair and we tried several lice treatments you buy at the store, did not work so we tried the mayo and it really works and a lot cheaper. Took us 4-6 hours just combing through her hair with the little comb, totally sucked and I feel so bad for you. Good luck

tngirl
06-29-2008, 07:59 PM
My daughter got the little buggers one year. I don't know how many times I did her hair and the bedding and the stuff animals...I couldn't get rid of them. She also had long THICK curly hair and finally I had it and we cut her hair and did the entire routine again. Finally they were gone. I guess with her hair being so thick and long that we just weren't getting them all.

luvcub
06-29-2008, 08:06 PM
Those nasty little boogers,my kids had them,when they were in school,so I went to the health dept and got the free shampoo,she also suggested a shampoo called NIX-walgreens has it,and walmart,this will protect your childs head for up to 2 weeks,if all nits have been removed,nurse also said that lice love red hair,the texture is a little different,and that if you live in an area where its warm yr round,lice will be hard to get rid of,she said it would take a few days of hard freeze to kill alot of them. I lived on the Fl coast at the time,to make things easier,I pulled a chair out in the back yard on a bright sunny day,and had my toe head son set in the chair,and the sun helped me see them much better. People always say bad things about a kid that has lice,but you know,lice like kids with clean hair,when the hair is dirty,they can not get to the blood sorce very fast or easy,with the oil being on the hair shaft,give the little booger a clean head,and boom,its lunch time.
Hope this helps someone.

aussiegirl
06-29-2008, 08:18 PM
First let me say, my heart breaks for you. I HATE lice, my DD had it. I used the NIX and mayo. I actually left the mayo on all night long and washed it out in the morning.

My advise to you is to get the Nits. The live lice are the easy ones to kill. The nits have to be removed. If you leave one Nit on her head it will eventually hatch and there you go again.

Personally, I cut the nits out. I did, ask Mistywolf. I would find the stran of hair it was on and I cut it out.

Good luck to you.

Debbie
06-30-2008, 03:00 PM
when my boys were younger in elem school,the youngest got it,nurse sent him home with two kits,one for each of them,its a pain in the butt,
their some nasty looking bugs.

chazsgirl
06-30-2008, 03:03 PM
never had it happen yet(fingers crossed, and knocking on wood) but I know that vineager works to kill them and to further ward them off. straight vineager for killing them and equal parts mixed with water in a spray bottle to keep them off! (working in a pharmacy was sure to pay off somehow~!) GOOD LUCK!

JewRican
06-30-2008, 03:26 PM
Adams Flea and Tick. When we washed it out all the nits were gone so no combing out.

IthinkNOT!
06-30-2008, 06:00 PM
I went through this a couple of years ago. I had 2 things that worked really well. The first was baby oil and a shower cap. Smother your hair with baby oil and cover it overnight with a shower cap. It smothers all the live lice. The other thing was the robi comb from walmart. It was close to 30 bucks. but the best 30 bucks i ever spent. It's like a bug zapper for your hair.

galeane29
06-30-2008, 06:42 PM
Years back when one of my children had a bad bout of lice, the only thing that worked for me and that was after trying the over the counter products was using mayo. Lather the head with whole mayo (not lite or fat free) and put a shower cap on. Let sit for 2 hours. Then when you rinse, rinse with white vinegar. The vinegar loosens up the glue that hold the eggs in place.

None of my kids have ever had lice (knock on wood) but the mayo is what i've been told to use.

G'maDebbie
06-30-2008, 06:49 PM
My kids have had it in the past, you can use any kind of oil....baby oil, vegetable oil, olive oil, etc....saturate their hair with the oil and wrap their head in saran wrap or use a shower cap, leave on for an hour or so. The oil will drown any live bugs. Now you have to go thru their hair with a fine tooth comb ..literally, to remove ALL the nits (eggs) which is gonna take you a LONG time to do. If you dont get all the nits, they will hatch and you will have to do the whole process over and over again. PLEASE DO NOT ALLOW YOUR CHILD TO GO TO BED WITH THE SHOWER CAP ON THEIR HEAD.
Make sure that you vacuum your entire home, furniture, carpeting...everything. You also need to bag up all their stuffed animals for 30 days, if they have been in near contact with them. You need to wash their bedding and clothing in hot water and put in a hot dryer...dont forget the pillow! If you have cloth seats in your car, you need to vacuum your car as well.
OMG...I feel so sorry for you, this is a ton of work, but if you miss any of these steps, you are more than likely gonna get them reinfested.
Girls who have long hair should always wear it up in a pony tail off their neck to avoid infestation.

Anig2u
06-30-2008, 06:50 PM
Never had it here thankfully~sorry you have to deal with it.

fleabones3
07-13-2008, 09:41 PM
I have had to go thru this a lot thanks to the school my kids went to.

If you cant afford the shampoo..use something like crisco oil or even baby oil. drench the hair with it, get a shower cap, and make sure it stays on at least 6 hours. wash their hair really good ( use Dawn dishsoap to get the oil out). Those cheap lice combs dont really work, especially with thick hair. Buy a metal lice comb. Now you will need lots of light. bright light. Comb comb comb the crap out of the hair in small sections. that will get the bugs, but i dont care how good the comb is, its not going to get the eggs. Hope you got fingernails, because you will need to pretty much hand pick every single egg out. Thats where the light comes in. If you miss one egg and it hatches, you are infested again. you will need to wash every pillow , blanket, sheet , etc in the house, vacuum the floors, beds, couches. Take all dolls and stuffed toys, put them in trash back, knot it, and leave it outside for 2 wks.
good luck