PDA

View Full Version : What is the point?

Heidi
06-27-2008, 10:59 AM
So here is my question. What is the point of vaccinating our children if they can still get the illness? I know that before my daughter could even start school we had to prove that she had certain vaccinations which wasn't a problem because she was always on time for her vaccinations. She had the chicken pox vaccine when she was an infant, but she got the chicken pox illness when she was 5 and now she has it again and she's 8. Both times she has only had it mild, but I guess I just don't get the point of the vaccination if they can still get it. Maybe this should be in V&W.

flute
06-27-2008, 11:11 AM
The point is, the children would get sicker & different diseases WITHOUT the shots.

Jenefer3
06-27-2008, 11:11 AM
I think they say it's so that if the child were to get the disease, it would be a mild form of it. I don't know though but that's a good question.

dangerousfem
06-27-2008, 11:18 AM
I refused the chicken pox shot. I feel that it is not proven itself yet.. what is to say that it won't wear off and then they get chicken pox when they are 20, 25, 30? Chicken pox can be fatal in an adult. I would rather my child get them as a child.. inch for a week and be done.. than risk getting them as an adult. That being said.. my dd is 8.. an never had them.. and I haven't heard of any of her friends having them.. My fear is that we will stop it effecting or kids.. then in 15 years we are going to have an outbreak and its going to severely effect our adults.

ahippiechic
06-27-2008, 11:22 AM
My son had the chicken pox shot and he did end getting them anyway. But it was very mild and almost his whole class had them at the same time, so he didn't even miss any school. I didn't have the shot and remember having them when I was 7 OMG it was awful! I still have a couple of scars on my arm from them, where I scratched really bad.

Vee030473
06-27-2008, 11:25 AM
I understand the need for all vaccines EXCEPT chicken pox. While it more dangerous when you are older,chicken pox on average is not life threatening to young children. I got chicken pox when I was 8 1 /2 months pregnant with my daughter,I had varicella pneumonia with it as well. I was hospitalized at Duke University Hospital for almost 2 weeks,the worst I have ever felt in my life.My chicken pox did not look normal either,I had so many on my face it looked bruised. Just imagine cauliflower and a light blue hue to it,that was my face! I think the varicella vaccine should be for adults that have not had it. For those that arent sure,a simple blood test can find out if you have the antibodies.

ahippiechic
06-27-2008, 11:28 AM
I'm glad I got the shot for my son. Because even tho he did get them, they were nowhere near as bad as mine were. I'd have hated for him to go thru that.

My brother couldn't get the chicken pox vaccine because of a medical issue. The Dr told my mom that if she got the chance, to expose him to them. Because they wouldn't be so hard on him as a child. Of course, she didn't. When anyone in his class had them she made sure to keep him away. He ended up getting them at 25 and they were so bad he ended up in the hospital for awhile.

dangerousfem
06-27-2008, 11:48 AM
yep.. thats what I am saying.. while it may be uncomfortable for kids.. its not life threatening.. but as adults it can be life threatening.. and a mild case may not give you enough immunity to avoid them later...

tammy77
06-27-2008, 12:04 PM
I was told that if a male gets chicken pox as an adult it can make them sterile.I dont know about anyone else but I wouldnt want that to happen to my son.