PDA

View Full Version : A persons Language (cursing) does it give a different opinion of someone?

Pepsi4me
06-25-2008, 02:55 PM
Weather you are just meeting someone, already know them or just passing by someone on the street/in a store. If they are swearing & cursing does this give you a negative opinion of them?

My hubbys opinion is it's just trashy. We were discussing this recently after hearing a women at a store.

Just wondering what you all thought.

flute
06-25-2008, 03:00 PM
I think people who curse just don't have the language they need to sustain a conversation.

I curse when I'm really really mad ;)

luvcub
06-25-2008, 03:06 PM
Wellll,I curse once in a while,like chit,or something little,but to hear a huge conversation in nasty slang and alot of foul language does sound bad,I agree,red faced,it does make them look bad.

Pepsi4me
06-25-2008, 03:07 PM
I think people who curse just don't have the language they need to sustain a conversation.

I agree. I swear at home on occasions so I'm not saying I'm innocent.

karefree
I agree with your husband.

Pepsi4me
Wellll,I curse once in a while,like chit,or something little,but to hear a huge conversation in nasty slang and alot of foul language does sound bad,I agree,red faced,it does make them look bad.

Yes, this is what I'm talking about.

msmom79
06-25-2008, 03:09 PM
i really dont see cursing as wrong,unless it is done to hurt someone-now my 2 sons and myself ,we all flip each other off,when meeting or leaving,each others company-it is the way we say hello-and goodbye-sorta a family tradition for us-its an inside family joke-so cussing isnt always wrong-or meant to offend someone-i think before we judge one another we should know the circumstances.jmho

Vee030473
06-25-2008, 03:13 PM
I do tend to have a lower opinion of someone if they curse alot. It is one thing to curse when angry but to use curse words as adverbs and adjectives,it says you don't have a filter on your mouth. I replace words for curse words,like the F word,I say fudgesicles instead, and for MF,I say Mayflower LOL. I dont think curse words have a place in everyday conversation,serious conversation or even plain ol chit chat. My mom always told us to speak only with words we would use in a letter to the elderly.

Pepsi4me
06-25-2008, 03:15 PM
There are people who use it in regular chatting/not offending & I guess I dont see the need/realize why it's needed.

I think it's a matter of having respect for other people & their children in public.

ElleGee
06-25-2008, 03:31 PM
I use effin alot.. not the F word.. effin.

I use the chit word quite a bit..Ahole is my fave

I do swear a LOT at home but I know how to check myself in public :)

Pepsi4me
06-25-2008, 03:33 PM
I use effin alot.. not the F word.. effin.

I use the chit word quite a bit..Ahole is my fave

I do swear a LOT at home but I know how to check myself in public :)

I like that...You know how to check yourself in public.

BigLyd1
06-25-2008, 03:36 PM
It's funny that I don't think I ever heard one curse word from my parents growing up. But I work at a P.D. so I hear curse words so much, I don't even pay attention. At home, DH and DS use curse words occasionally, but usually only after a couple beers. Of course, I don't curse much :whistle

Adra
06-25-2008, 03:53 PM
I do think less of people that use a lot of curse words. My friends don't curse or at least they don't around me or at church.

One day after church dh and I stopped at the grocery store and my husbands sister in law was there and she latched onto us like we were her long lost children. Every other word out of her mouth was f this and f that. I told dh I wanted to come home and take a bath in bleach cause I felt that nasty having listening to her.

I don't want to be around anyone that curses and I do not want my grandchildren to hear it. When they are with me I am responsible for making sure that everyone around them is decent role models.

lucimPI
06-25-2008, 03:55 PM
It's funny that I don't think I ever heard one curse word from my parents growing up. But I work at a P.D. so I hear curse words so much, I don't even pay attention. At home, DH and DS use curse words occasionally, but usually only after a couple beers. Of course, I don't curse much :whistle

If you notice (working at a PD) that "visitors"-those brought in, in the back of a squad car, just do not understand what they are supposed to do unless you use a curse word as every other word. No curse words, they do not and will not follow any instructions. Some do not even know how to get out of the open back door of the squad once it is in the sally port. I only curse when it is necessary, out in public, that is a NO, at home well uh yes, I do. Only DH and I and he knows all the words also. My fav. is "I don't give a Rat's A$$".

galeane29

Or drunk LOL

Pepsi4me
I do think less of people that use a lot of curse words. My friends don't curse or at least they don't around me or at church.

One day after church dh and I stopped at the grocery store and my husbands sister in law was there and she latched onto us like we were her long lost children. Every other word out of her mouth was f this and f that. I told dh I wanted to come home and take a bath in bleach cause I felt that nasty having listening to her.

I don't want to be around anyone that curses and I do not want my grandchildren to hear it. When they are with me I am responsible for making sure that everyone around them is decent role models.

I know what you mean, some people get very nasty with the words.

msmom79
06-25-2008, 04:09 PM
you all really want to know what the only cuss word there is -is? let me tell you-it is using "GODS" name in vain!!!!!!!!! i'm not preaching here,but telling the truth,as christians would see it-now as for the other words you call cuss words,they are man made words-and its how you use or interperate them-so if you are thinking they are nasty words,then they are,but if you just say them not meaning it towards anyone,then they are not-so flame me if you wish,but this is my take on them potty words that i myself use daily.

Pepsi4me
06-25-2008, 04:16 PM
I dont think curse words have to be used toward anyone in a negative way in order for to sound bad. I think they just sound bad in general within every day conversation.

As ElleGee said...I check myself in public.

sunniekiss
06-25-2008, 04:56 PM
Well all I can say is than if someone calls or comes into where I work with a problem & curses...well let's just say their complaint might be "forgotten" for a day or two. Cursing shows disrespect IMHO.

Pepsi4me
06-25-2008, 04:59 PM
Well all I can say is than if someone calls or comes into where I work with a problem & curses...well let's just say their complaint might be "forgotten" for a day or two. Cursing shows disrespect IMHO.

I agree it shows disrespect.

stresseater
06-25-2008, 05:30 PM
Well I am one of those who uses what some consider curse words as adjectives and such. To me it is no different than using substitute words. If I say mayflower (just one example I saw here not singling you out) instead of MF word the intent is still the same so why the hang up on the actual word uttered? I agree with msmom79, the only one I don't use(or try not to) is G** D*** it. N:flybye: ow I will use just damn. I don't think it has anything to do with lack of intelligence or vocabulary I just learned to use ALL my words.

krisharry
06-25-2008, 05:35 PM
Well, I don't curse in public, but at home when I am w/friends (adults only) or in the car driving, I curse like a &*X!****!!!! sailor. LOL.

Pepsi4me
06-25-2008, 05:38 PM
I just try to think that there are probably children around & I know I would not like my child to hear some of the more vulgar words.

ElleGee
06-25-2008, 05:43 PM
I just try to think that there are probably children around & I know I would not like my child to hear some of the more vulgar words.

I swear in front of my children... always have, always will. My oldest (almost 17) swears around the house but checks himself in public as well. There ARE words that are off limit (the C word for instance). My dd who is 14 can say hell and damn, but that's it , but again checks herself.. My 11 year old will get back handed if he tries it.. He hasn't but I feel it coming :)

in the house language is defo different than public

Pepsi4me
06-25-2008, 05:46 PM
Oh I agree about in the house. I am not a saint by any means & I swear a bit at home.

ladybugva
06-25-2008, 05:55 PM
my first thought was of a guy I knew in school. First met him and thought he was hot but after talking to him and seemed like the only words he knew were "cuss" words and for me he lost all his looks at that point. (b/c for me it's a package thing)

DH loves in The Princess Bride where they tell others off using big words b/c it's almost more of an insult.

tngirl
06-25-2008, 06:01 PM
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y233/displacedtngirl/AVATARS/sign0053.gif

cpbaby
06-25-2008, 06:07 PM
I am well able to converse politely in society, but I am also quite able to hold my own in a conversation with the Ice Road Truckers or the Deadliest Catch workers.

Pepsi4me
06-25-2008, 06:12 PM
my first thought was of a guy I knew in school. First met him and thought he was hot but after talking to him and seemed like the only words he knew were "cuss" words and for me he lost all his looks at that point. (b/c for me it's a package thing)

DH loves in The Princess Bride where they tell others off using big words b/c it's almost more of an insult.

I have met people like that.

Anig2u
06-25-2008, 06:26 PM
This made me think of when I was younger..I had 5 older brothers, and of course when the boys were horsing around and had friends over they would swear..well I guess I must have overheard quite a bit because my brother went complaining to my Mom that I was swearing worse than they were...lmao. I don't swear much, even around the house..I might say wth, for fudge sake, or jesus christ, which was always a swear word when I was growing up especially around my grandmother..lol. I don't like hearing people swearing if I am in a public place..unless it's a bar..then I know my kids wont be around..hahahahaha

msmom79
06-25-2008, 06:52 PM
hopefully i can say this and no-one will get offended-but if its okay in your home? why isnt it okay on the streets-i dont understand that take.and a jfyi everyone-not meaning to be mean,but your kids hear worse at school,or with their friends. and i'm sure there are alot of people who dont like cursing-but it does happen-i do it-but when my sons were younger it was not approved by me for them to do it.and i only cussed if i was very angry,and thats the way i still am-but if you _iss me off you bet im gonna rimm you a new arse.

Pepsi4me
06-25-2008, 06:56 PM
I think it's not ok in public because you should show respect for the people around you.

ElleGee
06-25-2008, 06:59 PM
hopefully i can say this and no-one will get offended-but if its okay in your home? why isnt it okay on the streets-i dont understand that take.and a jfyi everyone-not meaning to be mean,but your kids hear worse at school,or with their friends. and i'm sure there are alot of people who dont like cursing-but it does happen-i do it-but when my sons were younger it was not approved by me for them to do it.and i only cussed if i was very angry,and thats the way i still am-but if you _iss me off you bet im gonna rimm you a new arse.

My son and his friends, when they are over our house in the basement playing video games, they cuss and swear but as soon as I hit the stairs they are respectful.. His friends absolutely love me b/ I feed them and I don't give them crap for swearing..But they never do it in my presence...

My son is smart enough to know when it is ok to do it and when it isn't.. My kids aren't dumb , I raised them right *nod :)

* If i pull up from the grocery store, and his buds are there , I have 6 teenagers grabbing the bags for me.. it r0x :)

and they do not swear at the dd or the 11 yr old ds

Char
06-25-2008, 07:24 PM
I didn't have kids, but, if I did, I would set am example and not use filthy language in front of them. I would also expect the same respect from them... if they mouth like that in front of their friends when they got older, I would expect them to NOT use it around me. I would expect them to learn from my example of how to act in public. And, it worked ! My nephews are now 36, 34 and 25... and they are very articulate !

My DH has asked a few 'old boys' an a bar to watch their mouth in front of his wife too... in fact, I don't know about other joints, but, around here, many clubs and bars have "NO PROFANITY" signs up, and can use it as a way to 'remove' people who have drank too much, got 'brave', and ran their mouth.

The only one I really 'let it go' around' is the DH, he really knows me, and will not think less of me for 'sounding off'. If I'm pissed, I can talk like a trucker, but, I have the respect not to do it in public.

I think people who would talk badly in public have not been 'socialized', no one taught them how to be respectful in public... and, they don't have the intelligence to come up with other words.

Our old neighbor was a moron... no job, lived on girls, booze, and a 'fake' back problem that got him disability...lol, he'd 'limp' all the way to his doctor appointments, but, had no trouble hauling cases of beer in the house... had two kids he didn't pay for, yet, got himself covered with tattoos that he paid for... and every other word out of his mouth was the "F" word... he just didn't have the 'vocabulary' to use other words. I can see where he'd get a tattoo before paying any child support... (yeah, right)

I had too much respect for my parents to 'cuss' around them... now, I'm not talking like 'damn' or 'hell'... I'm talking the bombs.

MistyWolf
06-25-2008, 07:31 PM
I swear quite often BUT I know when it's proper and not proper to swear. If I am out at the bar with friends and we are talking and swearing so be it. But, if I was waiting on a customer would it be appropriate? .. Hell no .. If I was out with a group of kids (my own included) would it be? Hell no! I personally don't have a problem with swearing, I just have a problem with people not paying attention to their surroundings when they do it.

Rogerslmc
06-25-2008, 07:33 PM
Or drunk LOL

WHO ya calling drunk???? HUH? HUH?

HEHE!

magickay
06-25-2008, 07:40 PM
I don't swear a lot - more likely than not, I'm driving in my car by myself and referring to other drivers. Never in the workplace, unless it's under my breath and no one else can hear (I'm *really* careful about that). Around some friends (not all) and family (not all) I might inject a word or two, but even that's rare. I didn't pick up cussing until I went to college (so much for higher education, hmmm?).

And it is a factor when I meet new people. I don't expect them to be perfect, since I'm not, but I prefer that people don't cuss a lot. And I have been known to ask others to clean up their language when there are children or other women around that might overhear. It is a matter of being respectful in public.

CLARKS4
06-25-2008, 07:41 PM
I grew up with it. My parents did it all the time. It was stated already about flipping off as being a hello and goodby thing. That was us. As I got older and I changed my life style, I didnt agree anymore. I cant stand to hear someone use curse words. I just cringe. I dont think any less of them though. I really dont like it around my children. I dont do it and I expect the same from everybody else that is in their presence. My Dad still uses those words but he respects me and my wishes and doesnt use them around me unless he's mad but never uses them in front of my children. I can see where people think there is nothing wrong with. Like I said I grew up in it and that is what our vocabulary was. What you are taught stays with you unless you yourself want to change.

Char
06-25-2008, 07:47 PM
Well I am one of those who uses what some consider curse words as adjectives and such. To me it is no different than using substitute words. If I say mayflower (just one example I saw here not singling you out) instead of MF word the intent is still the same so why the hang up on the actual word uttered? I agree with msmom79, the only one I don't use(or try not to) is G** D*** it. N:flybye: ow I will use just damn. I don't think it has anything to do with lack of intelligence or vocabulary I just learned to use ALL my words.

I agree with the G**D***it word, I don't use that at all, can't hardly stand it.

If we said 'bad words' as kids, I don't mean the words that would get my teeth mashed in...lol, but like, damn, hell, or schitt etc... my Mom would say; "You don't eat with that mouth do you ?" Meaning it was so dirty... smart lady. :D

Char
06-25-2008, 07:52 PM
Hey, this forum feels the same way I do ! *duh* It even answers this question about using filth in public !

This forum uses a "profanity filter" !! :D Even this forum knows it's not proper to use bad language in public.

VenuStar
06-25-2008, 08:43 PM
you all really want to know what the only cuss word there is -is? let me tell you-it is using "GODS" name in vain!!!!!!!!! i'm not preaching here,but telling the truth,as christians would see it-now as for the other words you call cuss words,they are man made words-and its how you use or interperate them-so if you are thinking they are nasty words,then they are,but if you just say them not meaning it towards anyone,then they are not-so flame me if you wish,but this is my take on them potty words that i myself use daily.

That is something I CAN agree with. But then again...I really cant stand listening to someone using a swear word after every other word...that is so unnecessary. An occasional swear word is fine for everyone slips now and then but to constantly use them is detrimental to my ears, especially the MF and GD words. I CANT STAND THOSE!:meditate

Pepsi4me
06-25-2008, 09:49 PM
That is something I CAN agree with. But then again...I really cant stand listening to someone using a swear word after every other word...that is so unnecessary. An occasional swear word is fine for everyone slips now and then but to constantly use them is detrimental to my ears, especially the MF and GD words. I CANT STAND THOSE!:meditate

I cant stand it either.

PrincessArky
06-26-2008, 04:04 AM

yep ITA

buttrfli
06-26-2008, 06:45 AM
I cuss like a drunken sailor :D