PDA

View Full Version : Stealing

buglebe
06-23-2008, 08:03 AM
I am posting this article here instead of in news because I have a point to make here and it is about stealing. I know people , me included, all love a bargain or something for free. But did you know that everytime you download music or movie or whatever for free when you shouldn't you are stealing from the artist. I know you think ok , such in such, is such a famous artist they have all the money in the world anyway and won't miss this. But for many artist this is not true. My brother in law is a musician. He makes his living from songs he has written. Now the singer and the producer make the most money, he just gets pennies from each one, every time they are bought. That is how he makes his livelihood. Everytime someone downloads a song he wrote and someone else recorded he is losing money. Many of you would never dream of stealing from a store but you don't think anything of stealing this way. It is stealing and it is hurting the musicians bad. Many musicians can't make a living anyway with their music and have to take another job also. But to steal from such talented people who do so much for us is just terrible. Think about it next time you go to download stolen music.

Article follows.

France, a country perhaps best known for its unfailing support of the arts, has recently put itself at the forefront of combating digital piracy. "There is no reason that the Internet should be a lawless zone," President Nicolas Sarkozy told his cabinet as it sanctioned his new plan, by which anyone who engages in the illegal downloading of music, TV, or films will actually be barred from broadband access.

The plan will begin next January, and will be based on a "three strikes" policy; essentially, ISPs will be required to cut off access for up to a year for third-time offenders caught sharing illicit content. The law will all be enforced by a new nearly $30 million-a-year state agency, to be called Hadopi (high authority for copyright protection and dissemination of works on the Internet, translated into your filthy American English).

Sarkozy has become very interested in artists' rights every since getting hitched to model and folk singer Carla Bruni. Opposition, however, has come frmo the state data protection agency, consumer and civil liberties groups, and the European Parliament. Big Web companies including Google refused to sign up to the 40-member industry accord last November.

Mocking the scheme, French newspaper Libération warned families that they could be stripped of their Internet access and broadband telephone and television if a neighbor's teenager uses their wireless router to load his iPod with music (not a bad idea if said teen has recently been "banned" from the Internet for downloading music illegally). And what's to stop the same teen from just going down to the local Internet cafe and downloading content illegally while there? While we're all about figuring out this whole "new media distribution" dilemma, we're going to have to agree with Libération: This doesn't seem like a very effective way forward. [Source: Times Online]

PrincessArky
06-23-2008, 08:09 AM
I download from itunes so I pay for my music now BUT about 8 yrs ago I was a HUGE napster user so I guess I am a recovered music thief lol

Pepsi4me
06-23-2008, 08:27 AM
See I agree that you shouldn't steal the music but I think there should be a more reasonable price for songs. 99cents for a song can add up real quick.

What about if you buy the cd,add it to your computer then let someone add it to their ipod? Is that stealing also?

Anig2u
06-23-2008, 10:22 AM
See I agree that you shouldn't steal the music but I think there should be a more reasonable price for songs. 99cents for a song can add up real quick.

What about if you buy the cd,add it to your computer then let someone add it to their ipod? Is that stealing also?

How would that be stealing? Once you buy something it's your to do what you want, as long as your not bootlegging it..lol

CLARKS4
06-23-2008, 11:05 AM
We buy from I tunes and from Amazon.

Kelsey1224
06-23-2008, 11:07 AM
I work for Disney and piracy of unauthorized copies of anything electronic (i.e., cd's, dvd's, computer programs, etc.) really gets my goat!

People have no problem with identifying theft when it is an actual item, but when you get a bootleg copy of a DVD, or make unauthorized downloads of music, it definitely is stealing as well. You are stealing what someone created.

I don't think that when you have purchased a CD and download it to your computer or IPOD, this isn't stealing as you did purchase the original CD for your personal use. But, when you allow others to download it...that is stealing, in my opinion.

People's creative work is just as much a product as anything else.

Anig2u
06-23-2008, 11:15 AM
I work for Disney and piracy of unauthorized copies of anything electronic (i.e., cd's, dvd's, computer programs, etc.) really gets my goat!

People have no problem with identifying theft when it is an actual item, but when you get a bootleg copy of a DVD, or make unauthorized downloads of music, it definitely is stealing as well. You are stealing what someone created.

I don't think that when you have purchased a CD and download it to your computer or IPOD, this isn't stealing as you did purchase the original CD for your personal use. But, when you allow others to download it...that is stealing, in my opinion.

How is allowing someone to download your own personal music that you bought stealing? So if I bought a recipe book online and downloaded it to my computer and I let someone copy some recipe's is that stealing too? I could see if someone was buying the CD's and then making copies of them and selling them then that wouldn't be right.

buglebe
06-23-2008, 11:25 AM

I don't think that when you have purchased a CD and download it to your computer or IPOD, this isn't stealing as you did purchase the original CD for your personal use.

But, when you allow others to download it...that is stealing, in my opinion.

I Totally agree, that is STEALING!

dv8grl
06-23-2008, 12:23 PM
Whats the difference between buying USED CDs then? Its not like the Artist is getting anymore money, if I buy their cd used.

PrincessArky
06-23-2008, 01:28 PM
Whats the difference between buying USED CDs then? Its not like the Artist is getting anymore money, if I buy their cd used.

maybe that makes you only have a thief? or a paying theif??? gosh I dont know lol

Jolie Rouge
06-23-2008, 01:51 PM
So if I bought a recipe book online and downloaded it to my computer and I let someone copy some recipe's is that stealing too?

So if I purchase a cookbook and use some of the recipes, then post the successful ones online ~~ is that stealing ? Or is the person who then uses the shared recipe the thief ?

If I buy a CD or DVD at a yard sale ~~ am I the thief or the person who sold it ? The artist, producer, nor label is getting a piece of that action ...