PDA

View Full Version : Post your cook out recipes here!

bumblebeez
06-18-2008, 07:36 PM
Hey everyone since its summer and alot of us will be having cookouts, i thought it was a good idea to start this thread....okay i need some idea on what to have lol Im gonna have a cook out at the lake for my oldest girl's birthday and was wondering what to make....i know i will be cooking hamburgers and hot doggies but what else to bring? Any good recipes out there that wuld be good for a bbq??

flute
06-19-2008, 05:08 AM
Vegetable bobbers

I so have to make these
Follow the link below for pic!!!

Vegetable Bobbers
8 cherry tomatoes, halved
8 cucumber slices (about 1/4 inch thick)
8 carrot sticks (4 inches x 1/4 inch)
Fresh dill or tarragon sprigs, optional
Directions:
With a sharp knife, pierce a small hole in the center of tomatoes and cucumbers. Thread two tomato halves and one cucumber slice onto each carrot, forming bobbers (see the photo). Place bobbers alongside fish; add dill or tarragon sprigs for seaweed if desired. Yield: 8 bobbers.

VARIATION: You could also use celery in place of carrots, radishes rather than tomatoes, and zucchini or yellow squash instead of cucumber.
http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Vegetable-Bobbers

Vegetable Dip
16 oz softened cream cheese
16 oz mayonnaise
1 Tbsp parsley flakes
1 Tbsp minced dried onion
1 tsp seasoned salt
1 tsp dill seed
1/4 tsp Worcestershire sauce
8 drops Tabasco sauce
Combine all ingredients and mix thoroughly. Cover and refrigerate.

Serve with raw vegetables.

My potato salad ~
Boil about 5 taters. Until you can almost stick a fork in them. Boil with skins on & peel when cool. Cut into bite sized pieces.
Boil 2 eggs, hard-boiled. Cut up.
Mix together. Add chopped sweet pickles (I use relish when out), onion, olives (I use black), celery & mix all together. Squirt in some mustard & add Mayo to your taste. Add salt & pepper to your taste.

Cinnamon Grilled peaches
This was on BBQ U on PBS some years ago.

Glaze-equal parts butter, brown sugar & Grand Marnier, (or use oj) & 1 pinch salt. Simmer the glaze on stove top.

Cut peach into half, take seed out. Cut each half in half again.

Skewer 1 peach quarter with cinnamon stick, add a mint leaf, add another peach quarter. Use a skewer if needed to ease cinnamon stick on.

Put on grill (outside grill, or george foreman). Put peaches on grill & baste with glaze.
Cook about 4-6 min per side. Turn when they begin to get brown. MAy baste again.

Another idea, skewer the peaches with vanilla beans instead of mint leaves for another flavor.

<note> I didn't put the lid down on the george to make this, I kept the lid up!

Cinnamon Grilled Peaches ~ got this on the website
BBQ U Season 1, Stick Food Episode
Method: direct grilling
Serves 4

4 large ripe freestone peaches
8 cinnamon sticks
8 fresh mint leaves
1/2 stick (4 tablespoons) unsalted buttter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup dark rum
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
a pinch of salt

1. Cut the peaches in half, running the knife in a circular motion around the peach to the stone. Twist the halves in opposite directions to separate them. Pop out the stone with a spoon and discard. Cut each peach half in half. Using a pointed chopstick or metal skewer, make a starter hole in the center of each peach quarter (from outside to pit side). Skewer two peach quarters on each cinnamon stick, placing a mint leaf between each.

2. Prepare the glaze. Combine the butter, sugar, rum, cinnamon, and salt in a saucepan and boil until thick and syrupy, 5 minutes.

3. Set up your grill for direct grilling and preheat to high. Brush and oil the grill grate.

4. Grill the peaches until nicely browned on both sides, 3 to 4 minutes per side, basting with the bourbon butter. Serve at once. Peach or vanilla ice cream makes a great accompaniment.

Sweet pasta salad
1 pound rotini pasta
4 carrots, shredded
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 onion, diced
1 cup distilled white vinegar
1 cup white sugar
1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
2 cups mayonnaise
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
DIRECTIONS
Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain.
In large bowl, combine pasta, carrot, green pepper and onion. In medium bowl, combine vinegar, sugar, condensed milk, mayonnaise, salt and pepper. Toss salad with dressing and chill 4 hours in refrigerator before serving.

bears984
06-19-2008, 10:18 AM
This is a awsome dry rub for meats on the grill

The zest of one orange
1/4 teaspoon Cayenne pepper
3/4 teaspoon cumin
1 tablespoon Paprika
1 1/4 teaspoon salt
pepper to taste
1 1/2 packed brown sugar

Vee030473
06-19-2008, 10:22 AM
1 fresh pineapple, cut into 8 wedges , then cut into fourths
1/2 cup dark rum
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup orange juice
skewers

Mix rum, brown sugar, honey, and orange juice together until sugar is dissolved. Preheat Grill. Thread pineapple slices onto skewers. Place on the grill and baste with rum sauce. Cook skewers for about 10 minutes, turning and basting occasionally. Remove from heat, let cool for a few minutes before serving with cocktails or ice cream.

ElleGee
06-19-2008, 10:47 AM
Cuban Chicken

4-6 chicken thighs, breasts or whatever part of the chix you like best

4-5 tsp lime juice

Pour the lime juice on the chicken in a baking pan and let sit for 10 minutes, flip and wait another 5

In a bowl

3 tbs cumin
1 teaspoon red pepper
about 2 to 3 tsps fresh cilantro
1/2 tsp blaack pepper
1 tsp salt
I package of Goya Sazon
1/2 tsp garlic (fresh or powdered, i've done both)
2 tbs chopped onion

mix that up and dump in the chicken still in the lime juice...make sure the chicken gets covered in the spices..

Let it sit for 15 minutes if you're in a hurry to cook or wait a half hour to an hour for the spices to really sink in

then grill

flute
06-19-2008, 11:13 AM
Mr Food's Teriyaki Chicken Thighs
Air Date: 6/9/2003
8 large chicken thighs, skinned if desired (about 2 pounds)
1/2 cup soy sauce
5 scallions, chopped
1/4 cup lime juice
2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 clove garlic, minced

Place the chicken in a large resealable plastic storage bag. In a small bowl, combine the remaining ingredients; mix well and add to the chicken. Seal the bag and marinate in the refrigerator for about 8 hours, turning occasionally.
Preheat the grill to medium heat. Drain the chicken, reserving the marinade.
With the grill lid open, cook the chicken over medium heat for 10 minutes per side, or until cooked through and no pink remains, basting often with the marinade, but only up until the last five minutes of cooking.

GARNISHING TIP: This becomes a real eye-popper garnished with sliced scallions and lime wedges.

MARINADE SAFETY: Never consume a marinade that has come in contact with raw poultry, meat, or seafood, nor let it come in contact with cooked food unless the marinade has been brought to a boil and boiled for at least 3 minutes, stirring frequently.

bumblebeez
06-20-2008, 09:58 AM
thanks everyone....sounds good ...now im hungry lol

G'maDebbie
06-20-2008, 10:09 AM
Flute...thats recipe for Vegetable Bobbers is awesome!! I am gonna have to save that one for our family picnic this summer!

catdance
06-20-2008, 12:10 PM
BBQ Pizza, this is easier than you think..
Make some dough or buy it.
I make smaller circles, it is easier to flip the dough.
Before this.
Get together all the Stuff you want on it..cheese, roasted veggies, tomatoes, pepperoni, you get the idea.
Make sure your grill is clean and spray with Pam or oil it.
At the same you might add a hamburger or steak, instead, put on a circle of dough, not right in the middle, burns too quick, edges of the grill works well.
Let that cook a little, you can check the dough with spatula.
When ready to flip it over, add your toppings, they should be ready to go, if the cheese is not melting fast enough, cover the grill for a minute, and voila, pizza on the grill, remove with spatula.
Enjoy, it's fun, my sisters kids love to make this!

flute
06-20-2008, 12:21 PM
Flute...thats recipe for Vegetable Bobbers is awesome!! I am gonna have to save that one for our family picnic this summer!

Ahhh -- Oh I know it!
I bought a really really old (1999) taste of home quick cooking mag & went through it - this recipe wasn't in the mag - but inthe openings someone mentioned them - I went online & sure enough found the recipe ;)

gmyers
06-20-2008, 01:04 PM
Taco salad

Lettuce
tomatoes
shredded cheese-I use mild cheddar but you can use the kind you like
1 can ranch style beans
doritoes-I use the cheddar cheese flavored ones
catalina dressing

Just make a salad crumble the doritoes in it, add the ranch style beans, shredded cheese, and catalina dressing. But don't make it till right before you eat that way the chips don't get too soggy. I play it by sight the amount of chips I put.