PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have any floor covering experience?

andreame70
06-18-2008, 06:49 AM
We are about to recover the floor in one of our bathrooms and I wanted to ask if anyone here has had any experience with floor coverings.

We are not planning to go with anything extravagant at all, as a matter of fact, the floor space we are talking about is small and most likely would be covered about 1/3 of the way with a bath mat in front of the tub. I kid you not, this bathroom is tiny.

My husband wants to go with the vinyl 12x12" squares that are peel and stick. He says that they are made to be just as durable as rolled vinyl these days and that they are easier to install. I don't know enough about that stuff to form an educated opinion, so I am asking you guys. Have any of you ever used it in small areas? And what has been your experience with ease in installation, durability and cleaning of it? I think my main concern really is how well this stuff actually sticks and whether or not there will be problems with it peeling or curling up from the edges and stuff.

Thanks for any input you may have.

Andrea

cpbaby
06-18-2008, 06:56 AM
Yep, I got a wild hair one day when I got off work early, stopped by Big Lots, picked up 3-4 boxes of squares, went home, and redid my utility room floor. I ended up having to put a new layer of the thin plywood down(luanne?) because under the existing rolled vinyl was some hard nasty glue that wouldnt come up, but then the tiles went on very easily. Mine has been down for 5-6 years(WOW!) and I have had no problems, even after the washing machine hose broke and that room flooded. OH, and it is 5"X 7".

andreame70
06-18-2008, 07:04 AM
Thanks cpbaby, I didn't even think about Big Lots selling it. I have been looking at the different patterns and colors on Lowes.com this morning. I bet the price would be better at BL's. I think I will call and ask if our local store has any and go take a look if they do.

Thanks for the tip on the thin plywood, we should probably do that as well.

Andrea

andreame70
06-18-2008, 07:15 AM
I just called our local Big Lots and they have them for $10 a box! Holy cow, this may be much easier on the pocketbook than I originally thought. Lowes wants about $30 $35 a box.

Hopefully they will have some decent colors/patterns to chose from. Thanks again cpbaby.

cabby92
06-18-2008, 07:18 AM
I did my little bathroom about 5 years ago. We moved the door last winter and I had to put down three new tiles to cover the bare space. They went down just as easy the second time and with a good shining up the old floor still matches the new stuff just fine.

meltodd69
06-18-2008, 08:11 AM
We used Big Lots tiles in our bathroom. Been there for almost 10 years now, and still look new. I like the tile better than linoleum. If a spot gets damaged you can easily replace one tile. We are getting ready to redo the bathroom though, gonna put the heated ceramic tile in there. I would like to get rid of the bath tub and just have shower. Any thoughts on this idea? DH thinks it will hurt resale value.

cabby92
06-18-2008, 08:48 AM
We have an extra house that only has a shower. Our real estate lady said putting in a tub is one of the first things to do if we decide to sell it.

PrincessArky
06-18-2008, 10:14 AM
I have done just about every flooring you can think of and the sticky tiles are by far the easy way to go especially in a tiny space.......I wish you the best of luck and hope you can share a pic when you are done.

buglebe
06-18-2008, 04:47 PM
We used Big Lots tiles in our bathroom. Been there for almost 10 years now, and still look new. I like the tile better than linoleum. If a spot gets damaged you can easily replace one tile. We are getting ready to redo the bathroom though, gonna put the heated ceramic tile in there. I would like to get rid of the bath tub and just have shower. Any thoughts on this idea? DH thinks it will hurt resale value.

Yes it will hurt the resale value. I prefer a bath and wouldn't buy a house without one although I am not in the house buying market. Also people with children want bathtubs.

We put the tile down in a rented house one time and it was beautiful for the 2 yrs we were there.

cpbaby
06-18-2008, 05:29 PM
:yeah

Sophie is 4 and she HATES the shower. She is obviously too big for the sink, so tub it is. I prefer a tub bath but take showers to save time. There is no way I would buy a house without a tub.