PDA

View Full Version : 2 South L.A. women concocted scheme to hide torturous child abuse

PinkAquila
06-17-2008, 11:59 PM
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/los_angeles_metro/la-me-abuse17-2008jun17,0,1094746.story?track=rss

2 South L.A. women concocted scheme to hide torturous child abuse, authorities say
The pair allegedly tried to pass off another boy as the son of one of the women during an agency interview. The actual son may be permanently disfigured from stove burns, officials say.
By Andrew Blankstein and Ari B. Bloomekatz, Los Angeles Times Staff Writers
June 17, 2008

For two years, authorities said, a mother subjected her son to what veteran detectives described as shocking, ritualistic abuse.

The 5-year-old was hung by his hands and wrists from a door jamb and beaten with some sort of leash or chain, police said. He was routinely denied food and water, burned with cigarettes on his body and genitals, and left to sit in his own urine and feces.

Starkeisha Brown, left, and Krystal Matthews have criminal histories.2 women arrested in 'unbearable abuse' of 5-year-old boy
In the past few weeks, his hands were held to a hot stove, according to Capt. Fabian Lizarraga, causing injuries that may leave them permanently disfigured.

Starkeisha Brown, the boy's 24-year-old mother, allegedly committed the acts for about two years without detection -- until a bizarre series of events last week.

"It causes you to question the humanity of some people," Assistant Police Chief Earl Paysinger said about the abuse. "Whether they have a heart or a soul."

It started with an anonymous tip to the Los Angeles County Department of Children and Family Services saying there was a problem at the South Los Angeles apartment near 110th and Figueroa streets.

On Monday, June 9, Brown and her live-in girlfriend, Krystal Matthews, 19, were ordered to a children services office along with the boy to discuss the allegation of abuse.

Instead, the pair left the abused boy with a complete stranger and attended the meeting with a healthy-looking 4-year-old they said was Brown's son, along with a girl of about 6, authorities said. Police said they are trying to determine those children's identities.

They told the stranger, " 'Watch him for us.' They said 'We'll be right back,' " Lizarraga said.

While the women were being interviewed, the stranger who had been asked to watch the boy started asking people in the neighborhood what he should do with the 5-year-old, who looked sickly and injured. Eventually someone called authorities.

Officials got word of the boy's condition as they were interviewing Brown and Matthews and began asking more pointed questions and challenging the pair's story, Lizarraga said.

Halfway through the interview the two women sprinted from the office, abandoning the 4-year-old and his sister at the office, police said.

"They realize that no one is buying their ruse," said Lt. Vincent Neglia of the LAPD's Abused Child Unit, and "they bug out."

Lizarraga said it was fortunate that the stranger sought help. He "had the sense that something was not right, that the situation he had been placed in was not right," the captain said.

Had Brown brought in her own son, the social worker would have seen a child with a pot belly suggestive of severe malnutrition, burns across his body in various stages of healing, bruises, and badly damaged and burned hands, Neglia said. Some scars appeared to be fairly old.

"This wasn't just one big beating," Neglia said. "You can tell by the different stages of injuries that this was prolonged."

Police said the most severe malnourishment occurred in the last two to three months.

Authorities launched a hunt for Brown and Matthews while authorities took the child to a hospital where he remains.

The boy was in guarded condition through last week, but is beginning to show signs of improvement, authorities said.

Matthews was arrested Friday and Brown turned herself in to police on Saturday

They were arrested on multiple charges, including suspicion of torture, and the pair are scheduled to be arraigned Tuesday.

Both women have a history of crime and violence. According to court documents, Matthews was sentenced to three years probation earlier this year for assault with a deadly weapon.

Starkeisha Brown, left, and Krystal Matthews have criminal histories.2 women arrested in 'unbearable abuse' of 5-year-old boy

The boy's mother served a total of two and a half years in prison for two separate convictions: one for felony robbery of an elderly woman in 2003 and later for petty theft, when she and another woman stole a bracelet and other items from a Macy's department store.

Most recently, Brown was incarcerated from March 2006 to January 2007. During that period, the boy was in the custody of relatives, authorities said.

Police said the bulk of the abuse appeared to begin when Brown was released on probation.

Neglia said that Brown's probation officer recently had a hard time locating her because she was not living at her listed address.

Children services officials, citing confidentiality rules, would not disclose why the boy was returned to his mother after she was released from prison and whether appropriate checks on the boy's welfare were made, given that she was on probation.

DCFS spokesperson Stuart Riskin said there were about 160,000 calls each year to the agency's child protection hotline.

In the South Los Angeles neighborhood where Brown and Matthews lived with the boy, neighbors said they were shocked to hear of the abuse and some said they were angered it had not been reported earlier.

"Everybody's furious," said Katherine Irvin, who recently moved into an adjacent house she said was abandoned by a group of men. "They must've heard something."

Detectives said Monday that they were still trying to determine why a mother would so badly abuse her son.

"So far we have not come up with the answer," Lizarraga said. "Our victim was not on anybody's radar, either law enforcement or DCFS. He wasn't in the system; there was no recent [reported] abuse that could be seen," he said.

Since reports of the abuse became public, dozens of people have called police and social service agencies looking for ways to help the boy, authorities said. One elderly woman called police to see if she could donate her most recent Social Security check, authorities said.

Those interested in contributing can contact Michael Wrice with the DCFS at 213-739-6202.

dv8grl
06-18-2008, 05:21 AM
Why we cannot just publicly lynch people like that is beyond me. They deserve no "rights" what-so-ever!

freeby4me
06-18-2008, 06:00 AM
Why we cannot just publicly lynch people like that is beyond me. They deserve no "rights" what-so-ever!

I totally agree.

Mom2Shaun
06-18-2008, 07:24 AM
I'm so glad that the person the child was left with finally called the police. But why did he have to ask neighbors what he should do? It sounds as if the the child's condition made it obvious that he had been abused.

That poor little boy!

PinkAquila
06-18-2008, 08:52 AM

In cases like this, I would really like everything they did to that little boy be done to them, maybe 10x worse. Then I say let's turn japanese and hang 'em....lt used to be american to hang scum, but now we will have to feed them, and house them and let them have better medical insurance.

And I'm also wondering why the persone they asked to watch him needed to ask other people if he should call for help on the little boy.

CLARKS4
06-18-2008, 09:20 AM

I agree! That is awful. All I can keep saying is Why?

Jenefer3
06-18-2008, 09:48 AM
I'm not defending the guy who had to ask what to do, but maybe he wasn't all there - either through a mental disability or street herbs.

I cannot understand how someone can do anything like this to their child or to anyone else for that matter. I really hope they don't get a slap on their wrist and then be released after a few years. Personally, in my opinion, people who do these kind of heinous acts towards their children, should not be allowed to have other children in the future.

Jolie Rouge
06-18-2008, 10:50 AM
Place them in general population at the prison ... the other inmates will address the issue.

PinkAquila
06-18-2008, 01:53 PM
Place them in general population at the prison ... the other inmates will address the issue.

I agree!:)

Char
06-18-2008, 02:32 PM
Unreal ! What sickos ! Grrrrrrrrrrrr, they just let anyone become parents.

That poor little boy...............................

PinkAquila
06-18-2008, 02:54 PM
Unreal ! What sickos ! Grrrrrrrrrrrr, they just let anyone become parents.

That poor little boy...............................

I agree. But I am still wonder where they found those "replacement" kids they took with them to try and fool the social worker? Then ran off leaving those kids behind.

My dad always told me that people like this would never see the inside of a courtroom if it was up to him.

How many on here are thinking that they would plead some kind of insainty for what they did? Me, I believe they were I mean are just 100% evil.

No child and I mean no child deserves this. He is going to need a lot of healing not just in body, but in mind, emotional, spirit wise. I really don't think he will trust another adult for a very long time if any. I hope where ever he goes he is showered with lots 'o love and tenderness.

Some people might call me cruel but I wish they could hang these two and let them stand on 3 legged chairs, where the seats are full of nails sticking up...and at the same time whipping them with a chain...

and I'm not sorry to feel or think that way.

Char
06-18-2008, 07:59 PM
I agree. But I am still wonder where they found those "replacement" kids they took with them to try and fool the social worker? Then ran off leaving those kids behind.

My dad always told me that people like this would never see the inside of a courtroom if it was up to him.

How many on here are thinking that they would plead some kind of insainty for what they did? Me, I believe they were I mean are just 100% evil.

No child and I mean no child deserves this. He is going to need a lot of healing not just in body, but in mind, emotional, spirit wise. I really don't think he will trust another adult for a very long time if any. I hope where ever he goes he is showered with lots 'o love and tenderness.

Some people might call me cruel but I wish they could hang these two and let them stand on 3 legged chairs, where the seats are full of nails sticking up...and at the same time whipping them with a chain...

and I'm not sorry to feel or think that way.

I agree too... what good could these two sicko losers ever bring to anyone. They are diseased... they may have ruined this boys life completely already... as if life is not hard enough.

Makes ya wish that if they wanted to 'pick on someone', yea, let 'em pick on me ! No way, they are losers, dirtbags, scum, and cowards for torturing a child. Hope they feel all 'big and bad' now.

dv8grl
06-20-2008, 05:49 AM
Calif officials: Bureaucracy failed abused boy, 5

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080620/ap_on_re_us/boy_torture;_ylt=AsO.2bjxMOX5aEagdnDOldtvzwcF

LOS ANGELES - The little boy's body was a study in pain.

He was covered in cigarette burns, including to his genitals. He couldn't fully open his hand because it had been burned on a stove. His tooth was broken with a nerve exposed. And he had been made to sit in his own urine and feces, authorities say.

As the 5-year-old remains hospitalized by kidney failure brought on from malnutrition, two county supervisors are blaming welfare and law enforcement agencies for missing earlier chances to rescue the child from what police say were months of "unbearable psychological and physical abuse."

The case came to light after a woman called a hotline June 4, saying the boy told her at a commuter train station that his mother had burned his hand on top of a stove.

Summoned to a county Department of Children and Family Services office, authorities say Starkeisha Brown brought her baby sitter's healthy 4-year-old son and daughter and tried to pass them off as her own.

Brown and her girlfriend ran from the office when a social worker questioned whether the child was really Brown's, authorities say. The boy was found nearby, after someone called 911 to report that a sick child with bruises had been left with a homeless person.

The child was taken to a hospital with a round belly common in cases of severe malnutrition. Police were shocked by injuries that showed the abuse was horrific and prolonged.

"I've never seen anyone with these kinds of injuries who has lived," Assistant Police Chief James McDonnell told reporters last week. "This kid must have a tremendous will to live, to be able to still hang on despite what he's been through."

The anonymous June 4 call was the second public tip that the boy was at risk.

DCFS is investigating why no one followed up an initial case review after a tip in November 2005 that the boy was neglected and at risk while in the care of his grandmother, who took the boy in after his mother was arrested for shoplifting.

An array of other agencies missed their chance to intervene, said Gloria Molina, a member of the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors, including the state Department of Corrections and the county's Department of Probation, Department of Mental Health and foster care agencies that had case files for Brown and the two other women charged in the case.

"Why was there no intervention? It shouldn't have to be from the hotline," Molina said.

Supervisor Zev Yaroslavsky blamed a "silo" mentality of agencies that do not reflexively alert one another to potential risks posed by cases.

Others missed chances to stop the torture. The boy's great-grandmother and two caretakers told the Los Angeles Times they saw scratches on his body, a large knot on his forehead and other warning signs but didn't want to believe he was abused.

"I don't really know what I was thinking," Donna Hunter, who took turn taking care of the child with his great-grandmother while his mother was in prison.

Brown, 24, turned herself in to police June 13. A woman authorities describe as her live-in girlfriend, 24-year-old Krystal Matthews, was arrested later. Both were charged with one count each of torture, child abuse, corporal injury to a child, dissuading a witness, and two counts each of conspiracy. They face 25 years to life in prison if convicted.

Brown's attorney, Donald Herzstein, and a public defender assigned to Matthews both declined comment earlier this week.

Both women have criminal records. Matthews was sentenced to three years of probation earlier this year for assault with a deadly weapon, according to court documents.

The boy's mother served 2 1/2 years in prison for felony robbery of an elderly woman in 2003 and for petty theft.

A third woman, LaTanya Jones, 26, was arrested in the case Tuesday. Authorities said they believe Jones, described as a baby sitter, disfigured boy's hand by holding it to the stove. She has been charged with child abuse, corporal injury to a child and conspiracy to dissuade a witness.

Jones was ordered held on $180,000 bail Thursday. A sheriff's deputy at the jail did not know if she had an attorney.

Jones' son, who Brown allegedly tried to claim was hers, and a daughter have both been taken into protective custody.

As for the 5-year-old, authorities describe him as withdrawn and shy but plays with people he trusts. He has a healthy appetite and began walking over the weekend with a slight limp. His burnt hand is healing well and regaining its range of motion.

Jenefer3
06-20-2008, 07:11 AM
oh that poor child...I really hope that whoever he ends up with will provide him with the love, care, and support that he truly deserves. Just breaks my heart that people can be so cruel and vicious

flute
06-20-2008, 07:15 AM
I'm so glad that the person the child was left with finally called the police. But why did he have to ask neighbors what he should do? It sounds as if the the child's condition made it obvious that he had been abused.

That poor little boy!

Perhaps he thought the neighbors might better explain the injuries, maybe he didn't wish to rush to judgement. ??

freeby4me
06-20-2008, 07:19 AM
From the above story

Brown and her girlfriend ran from the office when a social worker questioned whether the child was really Brown's, authorities say. The boy was found nearby, after someone called 911 to report that a sick child with bruises had been left with a homeless person.

Thats why the guy didnt call the police im thinking.

DAVESBABYDOLL
06-20-2008, 07:42 AM
:( That poor little guy.

April78945
06-20-2008, 10:22 AM
I commend the people who work at social services. They have more self-restraint than I could ever have. I would be a serial killer for sure if I worked there.

PinkAquila
06-20-2008, 09:56 PM
And the tax payers money will go for their defense. That really ticks me off.
You know they are guilty, let them say their prayers, and then pull the switch!

I'm sorry if I sound mean, hmmm no I'm not sorry because to me they don't deserve to be taking up any space in this world.

gmyers
06-20-2008, 10:39 PM
This baby didn't have a chance. They said the grandmother, babysitter, mom and her girlfriend were abusing him. The question is who wasn't abusing him. It sounds like the grandmother was as bad as the mother if you can call her that. And why didn't the other grandmother do more, she saw the bruises she said. I wonder if he'll ever trust any adult again. And they said he's suffering from kidney failure because of being malnourished. Sometimes it makes you wonder why she didn't just abort him if she was going to torture him. I hope he isn't screwed up permanently mentally and physically.

CLARKS4
06-21-2008, 06:12 AM
And the tax payers money will go for their defense. That really ticks me off.
You know they are guilty, let them say their prayers, and then pull the switch!

I'm sorry if I sound mean, hmmm no I'm not sorry because to me they don't deserve to be taking up any space in this world.

ITA!

Adra
06-21-2008, 07:23 AM
I pray for this child and the thousands upon thousands that are abused. Too many are abused by the very ones that are supposed to take care of them.

God gave me a big heart and a big lap. I wish i could get this baby and just hold him for the rest of his life. I would hold him on my lap until he felt save and then I would hold him forever in my heart.

April78945
06-21-2008, 08:26 AM
To answer the other question on this board...THIS WOMEN AND HER GIRLFRIEND ARE GUNCHES.

Jenefer3
06-21-2008, 10:48 AM
I was reading the paper this morning and I saw a picture of this mom...oh my gosh, she looks mean as hell! At first I thought it was some ticked off guy but then read that no, it was the boy's mom...I personally believe that sometimes when you look at someone's eyes, you can tell if they're evil (or nice) and believe me, this lady looks evil.

Bubblescc
06-21-2008, 11:14 AM
OMGosh! I cannot comprehend how anyone could hurt a child! This brings out so much anger in me, part of me wishes I could kill them myself (just being brutally honest)....

That poor boy, I cant imagine having to live through something like this, how he must felt so alone...never knowing love...makes me cry, makes me sick....

I hope they get whats coming to them, those sick twisted pieces of crap..
Sorry for the anger, jsut wanted to vent..

Brandya
06-21-2008, 07:44 PM
He will probally have bad dreams the rest of his life. Hopefully he will be placed with a very good family.

PinkAquila
06-22-2008, 03:03 AM
He will probally have bad dreams the rest of his life. Hopefully he will be placed with a very good family.

ITA