PDA

View Full Version : need some trivia help, please

Explorer 4x4'r
06-17-2008, 07:33 PM
my local paper is once again going the trivia contest with GC to local businesses.

Need some help here:

Which river is spanned by the Rainbow Bridge?
I found a few answers but not sure which is right.

What book tells the stories of Br'er Fox and Br'er Rabbit?
Is it Song of the South?

thanks much if you can help!
:star:

Kelsey1224
06-17-2008, 07:36 PM
Rainbow Bridge National Monument - Utah

Rainbow Bridge is the world's largest known natural bridge. The span has undoubtedly inspired people throughout time--from the neighboring American Indian tribes who consider Rainbow Bridge sacred, to the 300,000 people from around the world who visit it each year.

Please visit Rainbow Bridge in a spirit that honors and respects the cultures to whom it is sacred.

And yes, Br'er Fox and Br'er Bear are from Song of the South.

Kelsey1224
06-17-2008, 07:37 PM
Or...

Rainbow Bridge (レインボーブリッジ, Reinbō Burijji?) is a suspension bridge crossing northern Tokyo Bay between the Shibaura Wharf and the Odaiba waterfront development in Minato Ward, Tokyo. It was completed in 1993. The bridge spans 570 meters (1870 ft) and carries three transportation lines: Metropolitan Expressway No. 11 Odaiba Route on the upper deck, and Route 357 (also known as "Rinkō Dōro", Portside Avenue) and the Yurikamome New Transit on the lower deck.

flute
06-17-2008, 07:57 PM
rabbit & fox - I remember that book from some weird movie where this lil kid got kidnapped & she kept reading that to her nappers and driving them insane.

Explorer 4x4'r
06-17-2008, 08:00 PM
Rainbow Bridge National Monument - Utah

Rainbow Bridge is the world's largest known natural bridge. The span has undoubtedly inspired people throughout time--from the neighboring American Indian tribes who consider Rainbow Bridge sacred, to the 300,000 people from around the world who visit it each year.

Please visit Rainbow Bridge in a spirit that honors and respects the cultures to whom it is sacred.

would that be the Colorado River then?

mirage7000
06-17-2008, 08:34 PM
I keep thinking it's the Niagara river which leads from the USA to Canada. They do call it the Niagara River Gorge. That's a tricky one! Very famous bridge here. It's near Niagara Falls.

grammieg
06-17-2008, 08:38 PM
the niagara river comes to my mind also

cinnamonch
06-17-2008, 10:10 PM
There are a number of "Rainbow Bridges" did the radio give any additional information?

Here is what I was able to find for you

Rainbow Bridge National Monument, in Utah, often described as the world's largest natural bridge

Rainbow Bridge (Hawaii) over the Anahulu River in Hawaii

Rainbow Bridge (Niagara Falls), a steel arch bridge at the world-famous tourist site Niagra River Gorge

Rainbow Bridge (Texas), a cantilever bridge crossing the Neches River in Southeast Texas, USA

Rainbow Bridge (Tokyo), Japan, a suspension bridge crossing northern Tokyo Bay

Rainbow Bridge, Oxford, England, a curved footbridge over the River Cherwell

In what I read, it looks like they are looking for the Niagra Falls location.

MistyWolf
06-17-2008, 10:48 PM
I keep thinking it's the Niagara river which leads from the USA to Canada. They do call it the Niagara River Gorge. That's a tricky one! Very famous bridge here. It's near Niagara Falls.

the niagara river comes to my mind also

That was my answer.

Explorer 4x4'r
06-18-2008, 09:22 AM
I just found this one:

http://www.bridgecitytex.com/dynpage-print.php?pageid=114

The City of Bridge City is surrounded by waterways and it takes its name from the many bridges around its perimeter. At the south end of town are the scenic Rainbow Bridge, the south’s tallest bridge, spanning 176 feet above and 680 feet across the Neches River. Adjacent, is the Veteran’s Memorial Bridge, the sister span to the Rainbow Bridge. At the north end of town are double bridges crossing Cow Bayou on State Highway 87. One of which is The Cow Bayou Bridge, an old swing bridge that was dedicated and opened in 1941. It is one of two of its kind and age in the entire state. At the east entrance of town, is a smaller steel drawbridge that began operation prior to 1936.

mirage7000
06-18-2008, 10:24 AM
I'm surprised there were no other clues. Lots of rivers to choose from. Good luck!

MERE CHAT
06-18-2008, 11:50 AM
Colorado River and Song of the South.

Explorer 4x4'r
06-18-2008, 07:56 PM
Colorado River and Song of the South.

I was just wondering with no more to go on and so many rivers, you think Colorado?

this was actually my first answer until I came across the rest

katgirl3
06-18-2008, 08:18 PM
my local paper is once again going the trivia contest with GC to local businesses.

Need some help here:

Which river is spanned by the Rainbow Bridge?
I found a few answers but not sure which is right.

What book tells the stories of Br'er Fox and Br'er Rabbit?
Is it Song of the South?

thanks much if you can help!
:star:

Wasn't Song of the South a movie? They're wanting to know what book tells the stories of Br'er Fox and Br'er Rabbit. Found this. Don't know if it's the answer.

While the animals were all from authentic folklore, the characters of Uncle Remus and Johnny were created by author Joel Chandler Harris. He based Johnny on his own childhood self, and Remus on men he'd known, named George Terrell and Old Herbert, whose stories had fascinated him and helped shape his young life. The first volume, Uncle Remus: His Songs and Sayings, was published in 1880. There, in dialect so thick it sounds almost like a foreign language today, the animals all had apostrophes in their names, e.g., "Br'er Rabbit". The word was short for "Brother", indicating a perception of oneness with Nature on the part of the ancient tellers of the stories, and the E was pronounced the same as that of the word it abbreviated, i.e., with practically no vowel sound at all. In the Disney version, the apostrophe was left out, and the E was pronounced as in "fed" or "deck".

MERE CHAT
06-18-2008, 08:45 PM
I was just wondering with no more to go on and so many rivers, you think Colorado?

this was actually my first answer until I came across the rest

If your contest pertains to the USA it is the Colorado River and Song of the South is correct too. Love that movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcxYwwIL5zQ

Explorer 4x4'r
06-18-2008, 08:47 PM
In looking some more for a BOOK, I found this:

http://www.ongoing-tales.com/SERIALS/oldtime/FAIRYTALES/tarbaby.html

Too tired to look anymore.
Will search more in the morning.
the paper has to be turned in by noon (thurs)

netsis61
06-19-2008, 12:24 AM
Well, you know where my head/heart's at-when I saw Rainbow bridge I immediatly thought you meant that one where all our beloved companion pets are waiting for us. Chuckle.