PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know what kind of snake this is?

ttistin
06-17-2008, 04:39 PM
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e218/ttistin/100_3006-1.jpg

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e218/ttistin/100_3007.jpg

Sorry if they are not clear, but I am not sure what kind it is. Does anyone happen to know?

We found it going into the dog pin, the dogs were out there and were going crazy.

BBELEAZAHR
06-17-2008, 04:44 PM
I like the 2nd picture :) Sorry Im not any help!

Hetty
06-17-2008, 04:46 PM
it looks like some kind of constrictor I am not sure were the eyes round or kind of oval and did it have fangs???
I am pretty sure non venomus but not 100% need more pics

ttistin
06-17-2008, 04:50 PM
I just talked to my dad, he said he is sure it was not venomus. I am going to show him a pic and see if he knows what it is.

Hetty
06-17-2008, 04:55 PM
yeah the head shape makes me think that is was not venomus.and the eyes if they are round it is not venomus....

magenta
06-17-2008, 05:07 PM
Oh gawd! I don't know what kind it is but that sucker is long!
Ugh it gave me the chills!

tngirl
06-17-2008, 05:07 PM
It looks like a chicken or rat snake.

http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?_adv_prop=image&fr=yfp-t-501-s&va=chicken+snake&sz=all

lymi
06-17-2008, 05:31 PM
Dead snake??????????? lol. We found a bull snake in our yard last week. I was gonna kill it, but my husband said no. It'd kill rattlers and mice. So I told him it could live if he could get it in the field across the street. He did, so it is still alive. Probably came back during the night. lol

Shancopp
06-17-2008, 05:41 PM
Dear Lord, a dead snake I hope!!! ack!

andreame70
06-17-2008, 07:17 PM
HOLY MOTHER OF CHRIST!

This is the one and only topic I can think of that makes me flip out. I have a zero tolerance policy when it comes to snakes. I should learn more about them, maybe it would help me with my fear if I at least knew which were venomous and which were not. I know that it would have to be dead if I found it in my yard, I wouldn't be able to sleep otherwise. And holding it in my hand...NO F'ING WAY!

I don't blame your dogs for going crazy, I would have been doing the same.

ElleGee
06-17-2008, 07:27 PM
looks like a rat snake

Quaker_Parrots
06-17-2008, 07:30 PM
The coloring reminds me of a copperhead, which are poisonous. I wish you had better pics, especially of the pattern on its back

chib44
06-17-2008, 09:13 PM
The coloring reminds me of a copperhead, which are poisonous. I wish you had better pics, especially of the pattern on its back

thats what I thought it was cotton mouth

Shancopp
06-17-2008, 09:37 PM
HOLY MOTHER OF CHRIST!

This is the one and only topic I can think of that makes me flip out. I have a zero tolerance policy when it comes to snakes. I should learn more about them, maybe it would help me with my fear if I at least knew which were venomous and which were not. I know that it would have to be dead if I found it in my yard, I wouldn't be able to sleep otherwise. And holding it in my hand...NO F'ING WAY!

I so agree with you! Get a hoe and cut that sucker up! ack!!!!!!!!!!

flute
06-18-2008, 05:19 AM
.......................I thought cotton mouths were black that's what we always called 'em

YankeeMary
06-18-2008, 06:19 AM
Not sure what kind it is but he is a pretty thing. Its amazing how long they get.

G'maDebbie
06-18-2008, 06:50 AM
HOLY MOTHER OF CHRIST!

LMAO!!!!!!!!! ITA!!

flute
06-18-2008, 06:52 AM
shoooooo we set one on fire down at the river once.....in our defense the thing had taken up nest in our burnin' barrel & we were staring the fire for the weekend.....didn't know he was under there......he didn't get too far.....

Rogerslmc
06-18-2008, 07:25 AM
I so agree with you! Get a hoe and cut that sucker up! ack!!!!!!!!!!

OMG! WHy did I even look? My skin is scrawling~!~

ICKKKKKKKKKKKK!

xsweetestx
06-18-2008, 07:29 AM
sorry no help here but sure is kewl...I love snakes but hubby said i cant have any..So I will stick to my birds lol..

sheila_361
06-18-2008, 07:49 AM
The only good snake is a dead snake in my opinion... Yikes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quaker_Parrots
06-18-2008, 07:50 AM
Check out this site, it has the chicken and the copperhead pictured on it. Compare the pics to the one you got: http://hubpages.com/hub/Rat-Snake-or-Copperhead--How-To-Tell-the-Difference

lucimPI
06-18-2008, 07:59 AM
I don't have a clue, but it is something only it's mother could love..:vroam: :backaway :duck :yikes :yikes :yikes

cabby92
06-18-2008, 08:12 AM
"What kind of snake is this?"

The kind that could make me run screaming like a schoolgirl.

msmom79
06-18-2008, 09:42 AM
well i know its not a copperhead-i was bitten by one of them-and had to do antivenom,i dont think its dangerous,but then i dont dont know! i just know after being bitten by one-i prefer to not see any.

CLARKS4
06-18-2008, 09:49 AM

:yeah

ttistin
06-18-2008, 09:49 AM
my dad said it was a rat snake.

As long as I see them they don't bother me. Dh on the other hand can not stand them. dh and the kids were outside when they found it, he made one of the kids come in and get me lol He made me kill it. Then almost died when I picked it up haha I am trying to get the kids to not be so afraid of them, I had them come up and touch it. I couldn't get dh to get within 5 feet of it.

This is my middle child standing there, he is 8 years old. to show how long it was. Its tail was on the ground.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e218/ttistin/100_3009.jpg

CLARKS4
06-18-2008, 09:52 AM
Looks like he had some lunch already. There is a bump in the middle. LOL

tough guy
06-18-2008, 09:53 AM
i say cottonmouth but i cant really tell

mirage7000
06-18-2008, 10:16 AM
Don't know what kind but I also would be running!

Renrut
06-18-2008, 10:54 AM
ughhhh so i know i hate snakes yet i look ugh!!!!!!!!

tntsmom
06-18-2008, 11:02 AM
omg I would have totally freaked!! We had a prairie rattler show up in our yard last summer, I bet the neighbors thought I was losing my mind. We found it at 3am when my dog wouldn't stop barking. Then I started screaming and running around like I had lost my damn mind!! dh killed it with a hoe and I was still screaming!!
UGH I hate snakes I don't care if they are nice or naughty they scare the hell outta me!!!

Char
06-18-2008, 11:21 AM
It looks like a garter snake to me... garters have red and black tongues, and that snake has a red and black tongue. My Mom's cat would bring them to the door fairly often, along with mice, rats, chipmunks etc... Many garters are greenish, but, can be any color, and have assorted, elongated stripes (lines) that run head to tail. Yea, they are not poisonous, although, they might as well be, 'cause I have no use for them... although, black snakes rock, 'cause they live on rodents ! We just saw a black snake yesterday, about four feet long... it was flipping out 'cause a car ran over part of it's body.

Anyways, there are tons of colored varieties of rat snakes, just like garter snakes... but, it's the red and black tongue giving it away.

My Mom is TERRIFIED of snakes, she would get chased by them as a child while berry picking... she was 'traumatized'... she detests even talking about them.

Char
06-18-2008, 11:28 AM
well i know its not a copperhead-i was bitten by one of them-and had to do antivenom,i dont think its dangerous,but then i dont dont know! i just know after being bitten by one-i prefer to not see any.

We have copperheads around here ! YUCK ! Up in 'North Hills', and very 'well to do' area here, there was a boy, like 5 or 6 years old, he came upon a 'nest' of copperhead babies, and stuck them in his pockets... he didn't know they were dangerous, anyways, he died from the bites ! That was years and years ago.

But, did it bite and run (let go), or did it hang on ? I know that's a dumb question, lol, but, I really want to know ! 'Cause if that sucker woundn't let go instantly, I'd be dying of heart failure !

dianepost
06-18-2008, 12:09 PM
:rolling :rolling :rolling :rolling :rolling Me too
HOLY MOTHER OF CHRIST!

buglebe
06-18-2008, 03:33 PM
It looks like a garter snake to me... garters have red and black tongues, and that snake has a red and black tongue. My Mom's cat would bring them to the door fairly often, along with mice, rats, chipmunks etc... Many garters are greenish, but, can be any color, and have assorted, elongated stripes (lines) that run head to tail. Yea, they are not poisonous, although, they might as well be, 'cause I have no use for them... although, black snakes rock, 'cause they live on rodents ! We just saw a black snake yesterday, about four feet long... it was flipping out 'cause a car ran over part of it's body.

Anyways, there are tons of colored varieties of rat snakes, just like garter snakes... but, it's the red and black tongue giving it away.

My Mom is TERRIFIED of snakes, she would get chased by them as a child while berry picking... she was 'traumatized'... she detests even talking about them.

I was always taught to watch out for rattle snakes while picking blackberries. I have lots of snake stories.

SLance68
06-18-2008, 03:39 PM
I can tell you one thing - it is not a cottonmouth aka water moccasin. They are black and have some very lovely fangs. And they are one of the few snakes that will chase you down even if not attacked.

ttistin
06-18-2008, 03:44 PM
This one was not aggressive at all. He was nervous cause of the dogs barking at it but that was about it.

Now dh was all kids of upset lol He stood back telling me what to do hahaha

I get the snakes he gets the spiders lol what a team!

Fred12
06-18-2008, 04:28 PM
This one was not aggressive at all. He was nervous cause of the dogs barking at it but that was about it.

Now dh was all kids of upset lol He stood back telling me what to do hahaha

I get the snakes he gets the spiders lol what a team!

Copperheads are aggressive if you get them trapped. Their heads are more triangular shaped than that one. My Dad has them and we see them once in awhile by the stream. Why am I even talking about it, let alone looking in here. I'll probably have nightmares tonight.

OK I am not coming back in here........

Char
06-18-2008, 07:26 PM
I was always taught to watch out for rattle snakes while picking blackberries. I have lots of snake stories.

I have a few snake stories myself... all I ever want ! LOL! Even a rattlesnake story !

She called them "black racers", because they actually chased her by sort of throwing themselves up and down, chasing behind her... like, instead of staying on the ground and going side to side, she says it was like the action of a whip... up and down...lol

I am pretty sure that pic in this thread is a garter snake though...

Char
06-18-2008, 07:30 PM
Copperheads are aggressive if you get them trapped. Their heads are more triangular shaped than that one. My Dad has them and we see them once in awhile by the stream. Why am I even talking about it, let alone looking in here. I'll probably have nightmares tonight.

OK I am not coming back in here........

Yea... I guess that's what happened when that boy stuck those in his pocket, they went nuts ! They bit him over and over... he died before anyone knew what had happened. They assumed he thought the baby snakes were maybe nightcrawlers or something, you know little boys and worms... it was horrible though.

Urban Cowgirl
06-18-2008, 07:46 PM

Thats what my nana says about cats! LOL