PDA

View Full Version : My sister started chemo today

trabrat
06-16-2008, 03:17 PM
As some of you know I went to FL and got my sister and her son so she could go to McGee's Womans hosp in Pittsburgh for cancer treatment. She has stage 4 breast cancer.. They told her today that the lymph nodes are also affected. She is lonely and missing her husband so much but he had to stay in FL and work. She will be with me for 24 weeks.

What I need is to find is a cheap place to find her wigs. They dont have much money without her working so i want to try and find a few cheap so if you know any sites please post them. I looked on ebay and called Sallys beauty supply, they dont have them and ebay the shipping is awful. I love her so much and the only thing that is bothering her is what people are going to think when she loses her hair. I keep making a joke of it and saying BALD IS BEAUTIFUL.. I would love to get her a few wigs.

If anyone could send her get well cards she would like that. I bought the pink ribbon magnet for my car to support breast cancer awareness.

EVERYONE GET THOSE MAMMOGRAMS as scheduled, it could save your life.

thanks Tracy

ahippiechic
06-16-2008, 03:47 PM
My Dr referred me to get a wig when I had chemo, once my hair started thinning, so maybe ask when she goes for an appt. It didn't cost anything, it was from Locks of Love. And i also go tone at a local shop, the hospital gave me a GC for one. They help fit it and show you how to care for it and everything.

Thamlet
06-16-2008, 03:47 PM
I'm sorry I don't have any information about wigs. Just wanted to send well wishes to your sister and hugs to you for taking such good care of her. A very close friend of mine is fighting breast cancer. Shes lost all of her hair too. Her husband and daughter shaved their heads and wear "do-rags". Your sister has to be a very brave woman, I'm thinking healing thoughts for her.

BeanieLuvR
06-16-2008, 06:49 PM
I would be glad to send her a card. Please pm me her name and address. I am dealing with breast issues too. I had a biopsy done today and praying it comes back ok. Your sister will be in my thoughts and prayers. It is great that you are there for her. :hug

Thawn
06-16-2008, 07:09 PM
I am so sorry. Stage 4 & lymph nodes. OMG. You have my prayers. Please PM the address. I would like to send a card.

kidzpca
06-16-2008, 08:03 PM
When my dot had cancer 6 years ago the local American Cancer Society sent us information for finding wigs and we ended up getting a coupon to a local hairstylist that cut dot's hair and styled it the way she wanted it before the hair was lost and we also got a wig made to dot's specifications for FREE!

sandooch
06-16-2008, 10:57 PM
I will be keeping your sister and family in my prayers.

Shann
06-17-2008, 01:35 AM
your sister is in my thoughts. I don't have any info either, but would def contact locks of love.

jedmatters
06-17-2008, 03:03 AM
No wig info here. I agree with Hippie: ask the doctor.

I will be thinking of you and your family. Hoping for the best for your sister.

My dad had chemo in the 70s. He lost a lot of hair, but not all of it, but it grew back thiner. He has been cancer free 29 years now.

peppplay99
06-17-2008, 05:06 AM
:itsme: Hi Tracy! Please do not worry. Your sister is in great hands. My mother has been receiving chemo treatments at magees for over 7 months,and she seems to be doing well.They have the best DR.+Staff that you could only imagine.I know how you feel, the first time my mum was going for chemo i was sick to my stomach. Please do not worry honey, because she will get the BEST care.

peppplay99
06-17-2008, 05:16 AM
And Tracy,:) i also wanted to tell you that the american cancer society has very nice wigs at a very cheap price! Log onto their website, and the will send you a catalog... Google "American cancer society"...Stay strong honey!

peppplay99
06-17-2008, 05:41 AM
American cancer society....Very cheap ,wonderful looking wigs!

Army-Mom
06-17-2008, 05:49 AM
Your sister is in my prayers.

DAVESBABYDOLL
06-17-2008, 06:08 AM
I will keep your sister in my thoughts.

I just went through that big scare a few months ago, mamogram,ultra sound,MRI back for another ultra sound,back for another MRI and finally a biopsy. It came back A-OK but it sure makes you think about things.

BeanieLuvR~I'll be hoping all comes back A-OK for you. Think POSITIVE!

luvcub
06-17-2008, 06:40 AM
My heart goes out to you and your sister,your family,my dad had leuk. he refused treatment... I have sent a prayer up for all of you. Wish I could do more.
hugs
Angel

magickay
06-17-2008, 09:57 AM
Everyone said it -- my co-worker got her wig via the American Cancer Society. Locks for Love primarily focuses on children with alopecia. Pantene formed an organization call Beautiful Lengths that does wigs for women.

PrincessArky
06-17-2008, 10:24 AM
your family is in my thoughts and prayers

chib44
06-17-2008, 12:30 PM
Best wishes and prayers for your sis and the familey hope she gets better real quick

ang in NC
06-17-2008, 01:35 PM
Bless her heart, praying for healing and peace