PDA

View Full Version : Live in Michigan? Look in here

freeby4me
06-15-2008, 03:06 AM
Anyone who lives in Michigan knows our economic problems, along with all the other problems plagueing this state. Well, even though I live in Michigan, right on the shores of Lake Huron there is one thing that I didnt hear about. Its about other states wanting our water. We need to preserve our water.

I have also seen a commercial for a website to keep fellow Michiganders informed and you can send the legislaters emails. This website is

http://www.michiganjobsandenergy.org/default.aspx

Now here is the local story about the water problem, read over it and lets discuss this. I would really like to hear peoples opinions as everyone of course will not agree.

Michigan needs to sign Great Lakes compact

Are you fed up with paying $4-plus a gallon gas along with higher prices for everything from food to fertilizer this summer?

Then let me clue you in on something this morning. Unless the Great Lakes states get their act together soon, before long you might also be paying close to the same amount for water — despite the fact it is all around you.

Or, in the words of the ever philosophical ’70s rock band Bachman Turner Overdrive, “You ain’t seen nothing yet.”

For months now the Great Lakes states have grappled with a proposal — the Great Lakes compact — that would prevent water from the region’s basin to be diverted elsewhere. Once all the states approve, it would be forwarded to the U.S. Congress for approval.

Despite the fact it would seem to be a “no-brainer,” only five of eight states have approved it to date — with Michigan being one of those who have yet to put their signature to the compact.

With each month that passes without unity on the issue, it would seem all of us in the Great Lakes are flirting with a potential disaster.

Just this week a report was released “Healing our Waters-Great Lakes Coalition” which comes just prior to U.S. Senate debate next week on global warming legislation. The report warns that the Great Lakes — because of global warming — face new threats. Over the next century evaporation rates are likely to increase resulting in large water level drop-offs. Lake Huron, for instance, would drop another 2.7 feet from today’s already low levels.

Imagine even less water in the Great Lakes basin, and western states pushing to divert water their way. Remember, those western states are the ones growing in population while we continue to lose population, and thus Congressional clout and representation.

All one has to do is remember Democratic presidential candidate Bill Richardson’s suggestion last fall that serious consideration should be given to divert Great Lakes water to the west. That position essentially killed any real chance the New Mexico governor had at being nominated by his party, but it did publicly emphasize for the first time the position many western government leaders have toward the water issue.

These are the same states that successfully have diverted water from other regions to meet their needs in the past.

This week Wisconsin officials gave their blessing to the compact while Ohio legislators did not. However, it is expected the setback in Ohio is but a temporary one, and before the end of June Ohio will be on board as well.

Michigan, which should have been a leader on this issue, is lagging behind with its support.

Three months ago talk of $4 a gallon gasoline was brushed away as just a pessimist’s rant. I don’t want that same logic applied to concern today over Great Lakes water.

It’s time our legislators buckle down, put partisan politics aside and get this issue out of the legislature.

Our children, and our children’s children, will be grateful.

http://www.thealpenanews.com/page/content.detail/id/501626.html?nav=5002

freeby4me
06-15-2008, 03:14 AM
From the Michigan Coalition website

The current debate over how best to meet Michigan’s future energy needs has boiled down to:

Build vs. Buy

Building new power plants that will pump money into the state’s economy and create jobs for Michigan makes more sense than buying millions of dollars worth of out-of-state electricity and turning our backs on job-development opportunities that are perfect for Michigan.

But to build, we need new laws.

Right now we have utilities with an uncertain customer base and an economy that has investors turning their backs on Michigan. Big financial houses on Wall Street like Fitch, Standard & Poors, and Lehman Brothers all note the problems with Michigan’s current laws.

The status quo is obviously not working for Michigan — we need a change, and we need it now.

The Michigan Legislature and the Public Service Commission have spent years carefully reviewing, studying and listening to every side of the electricity debate and are now working together to develop comprehensive legislation.

A better, comprehensive plan will ensure all of us — utilities, businesses big and small, out-of-state energy companies, renewable resource suppliers, and residential customers — affordable and reliable energy for the future. Michigan will get new power plants, as well as renewable energy resources, new technology, a cleaner environment and more vigorous regulation to protect consumer interests. No winners, no losers, just good policy that benefits all of us.

The Michigan Jobs and Energy Coalition urges all Michigan businesses and residents to join the coalition — simply fill out the form on the right hand of the page and click submit.

Please help us do what makes sense for Michigan by joining the coalition and sending a message to Lansing that we support a new comprehensive energy plan.

http://www.michiganjobsandenergy.org/default.aspx

I came across another story on the coalition website, it was in PDF form so I had to save and change it over to text. I do not have a direct link.

LANSING – The Senate Energy Policy and Public Utilities Committee took bold action today to
ensure that Michigan families and businesses have affordable electricity for years to come,
approving legislation that also creates thousands of jobs and boosts Michigan’s slumping economy.

“The complexity of reforming Michigan’s energy plan cannot be overstated, and we applaud
Chairman Bruce Patterson for leading this bipartisan effort,” said Jim Holcomb, vice president and
associate general counsel of the Michigan Chamber of Commerce, which is a member of the
Michigan Jobs and Energy Coalition. “This is precisely the kind of across-the-aisle leadership
Michigan so desperately needs to address crucial issues such as energy production.”

The committee sent to the full Senate bills that will ensure a balanced power portfolio,
including renewable energy sources, to meet Michigan’s growing power needs. The committee
previously sent SB 1228, which addresses energy-efficiency standards, to the full Senate. This
package would provide Michigan with a comprehensive energy policy that includes energy
efficiency, development of renewable energy sources, and the statutory and regulatory structure to
encourage the development of baseload power plants. Michigan’s 21st Century Energy Plan projects
that the state will need 10 new baseload generating plants between 2015 and 2025 to meet
customers’ growing power needs.

“New power-generation projects in Michigan will pump billions of dollars into the state and
generate thousands of construction and operational jobs,” said Todd Tennis, representing Protect
Michigan, International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers and the Michigan State Utility Workers
Council. “It’s time to invest in keeping energy sources and related jobs in Michigan. This
legislation provides the critical balance Michigan needs between boosting the economy and
preserving the environment.”

– MORE –

A recent telephone survey of 500 registered Michigan voters found an overwhelming
majority – 83 percent – prefer building generating plants in Michigan to meet increasing customer
demand, rather than importing power from out of state. In addition, more than 58 percent were
willing to absorb a 5 percent rate increase to build more Michigan electric power plants, which
would create jobs and expand the state’s tax base. The TargetPoint Consulting survey was
conducted May 9-12 and had a margin of error of plus or minus 4 percentage points.

“These numbers simply confirm that Michigan residents recognize the need and are willing
to step up to the plate,” Holcomb said. “Our elected officials did what is right for our state.”

The Michigan Jobs and Energy Coalition includes the Michigan Chamber of Commerce, the
Michigan Manufacturers Association, Detroit Renaissance, Detroit Regional Chamber, DTE
Energy, Consumers Energy, Protect Michigan, and nearly 300 organizations and individuals,
including low-income advocacy groups, human service agencies and government representatives.

For a full listing of coalition members and information on comprehensive energy reform,
please visit the coalition Web site at: www.michiganjobsandenergy.org.

freeby4me
06-15-2008, 03:19 AM
This is a story from my local newspaper, but I also feel like it affects our whole state.

Hey, senators, come on up

by Steve Murch

Now that we have the presidential hopefuls narrowed to two, it’s time to look forward to November and the general election. Part of looking forward is where Michigan falls in the plans of the candidates.

As everyone knows, Sen. John McCain was the one who campaigned here during the primary. Sen. Barack Obama didn’t since he had pulled his name from ballot because of issues surrounding the Democrats punishing the state for moving up the date of the primary.

Now that neither candidate is hampered by their party in terms of visits, Michigan could be — and should be — a major battleground state. Both candidates should be spending significant time here.

So here’s a request to Sens. McCain and Obama:

Come on up. Northeast Michigan can be breathtaking during the fall of the year, which is when you will have your campaigns in overdrive, and you’ll need time to put us into your schedule. The colors can be quite nice, and there is something about warm days and crisp nights — but we’ll take you in the warmth of summer, too.

The best part is you can’t use our remoteness against us. The days where you had to be in the densest population areas are long gone. All of the news organizations travel with the candidates and 24-hour cable gives you a platform at all hours of the day.

Plus, President Bush visited Marquette and Traverse City so you can’t use our location against us. Traverse City is about as far north as us and Marquette is even farther north.

Yes, I know, someone in your party really needs to get in your ear and it should be someone from our state. Well, I’m skipping the middle man on this one and I’m appealing directly to you. Besides, Sen. McCain, it might not be quite fair for you since our U.S. senators and our U.S. representative are all Democrats (however, side note to Sen. Obama: If Sens. Stabenow and Levin or Rep. Stupak call and offer, say yes).

So let me tell you why Northeast Michigan is the perfect place for you to make an appearance:

? High unemployment. Our four-county area averages double-digit unemployment year round. Alpena County is the only one of the four that doesn’t. If you look at the monthly unemployment figures released by the state, you’ll see our counties rank in the bottom of the state.

? Natural resources. You want to sound the alarms about global warming or just going green and promoting better preservation, come up and take a look. We’re right on Lake Huron; we have large inland lakes; we have forests and streams. What better place to talk about the importance of our natural resources than in a place surrounded by them. (As a side note to Sen. McCain, since you’re from the arid Southwest: whether you believe it or not, DO NOT talk about water diversion from the Great Lakes. For starters, it’s a bad thing to talk about, and second if you want our water then move here).

? Education. We have a first-class community college, and with the cost of higher education continuing to rise, you can talk about the value two-year schools offer. And our public schools have some of the most creative administrators around. They have to find ways to make ends meet with dwindling funding and dwindling enrollment. Why dwindling enrollment, see high unemployment — there aren’t enough jobs for people to feed their families. Not to mention it costs money to move to where the jobs are — it’s a vicious cycle and you could talk about how you, as president, could help break it.

? National security. We have a top-notch National Guard training facility. If you want to talk about defense, what better way to touch on that than to highlight a great facility like the Alpena Combat Readiness Training Center.

? Health care. We have an outstanding facility, but like all medical providers, it has its share of financial hurdles. Tell us how you plan on fixing or improving health care in this country. While the administration at Alpena Regional Medical Center continues do all it can for the area it serves — the recent deal with Helen DeVos Children’s Hospital being a shining example — there are still areas it needs and wants to improve.

The list could go on, senators, but those five items should give you plenty to start with. If you want more, the people of our area will be glad to tell you. That’s another great thing about Northeast Michigan — the people. They care about the area and they are opinionated.

Again, come on up. We look forward to seeing you. Heck, I’ll even buy you dinner.

http://www.thealpenanews.com/page/content.detail/id/501790.html?nav=5002

I know every region in Michigan has something to offer, we could play a very important role in this years election. We need change, we need jobs but most important, WE have to do it!!

freeby4me
06-17-2008, 06:39 PM
http://www.michiganjobsandenergy.org/Senate_memo_6_17_08_FINAL.pdf

June 17, 2008
MEMO TO: Members of the Michigan Senate
RE: Pending energy reform legislation
We look forward to working with the full Senate, now that the Senate Energy Policy and Public Utilities Committee has moved bills addressing energy efficiency, Renewable Portfolio Standards, and updating P.A. 141 to the full chamber.
We are confident these comprehensive energy reforms, so crucial to Michigan families and the state’s economy, will be taken up with the same bipartisan resolve that brought them this far.
These reforms have required much give-and-take over the past 18 months of negotiations. We encourage senators to preserve this hard-won compromise and adopt a comprehensive energy package that will assure that Michigan has reliable, affordable electricity into the future.
To that end, we call your attention to the situation in Texas, a fully deregulated market where, in the past few weeks, market instability has left customers paying as much as $4.00 per kilowatt for electricity, as compared to less than 10 cents in Michigan. The Texas Public Utility Commission has called an emergency meeting on rates.
We’ve included with this letter the recent Wall Street Journal coverage of the Texas problem, along with a quick overview of Michigan’s own energy reform initiatives.
Without action on comprehensive energy reform, Michigan will increasingly be subject to the kind of high, volatile market pricing Texas and other deregulated markets are experiencing. We urge you to take prompt action on this important legislation.
The Michigan Jobs and Energy Coalition, formed just two months ago, now comprises more than 300 members, and we continue to grow. Members include some of the strongest business voices in the state – the Michigan Chamber of Commerce, Michigan Manufacturers Association, Detroit Renaissance, Detroit Regional Chamber – along with DTE Energy, Consumers Energy and the Michigan Municipal Electric Association, Protect Michigan and its labor partners. Others include leading human services agencies, such as the Michigan Community Action Council, THAW and WARM Training Center.
We thank you for considering the diverse interests we represent. Michigan will be better for it.

Interesting.

freeby4me
06-19-2008, 06:25 AM
Michigan's jobless rate highest since October ‘92

June 19, 2008 - 05:44 a.m. EST

Thousands of summer job seekers who couldn't find work helped push Michigan's jobless rate to 8.5 percent in May.

That's the highest monthly mark in the state since October 1992.

The seasonally adjusted jobless rate is up from 6.9 percent in April. A year ago, it was 7.1.

State officials say the rush of people looking for summer jobs swelled the size of Michigan's labor force, then pushed up the unemployment rate when they were unsuccessful.

Michigan has had the nation's highest annual average unemployment rate since 2006. The national jobless rate in May was 5.5 percent, up from 5 percent in April.

http://www.alpenanow.com/news/2008/jun/19/michigans-jobless-rate-highest-october-92/