PDA

View Full Version : Question about military planes

BBELEAZAHR
06-12-2008, 01:43 PM
Okay I know this is a dumb Question:slap we live next to the base so lots of "air traffic" and there are these huge planes (yellow stripe underneath) and it seems like they just stop in the air. Can they really do that or does it just look like that?

ElleGee
06-12-2008, 01:46 PM
it just looks like it :)

Char
06-12-2008, 01:52 PM
Okay I know this is a dumb Question:slap we live next to the base so lots of "air traffic" and there are these huge planes (yellow stripe underneath) and it seems like they just stop in the air. Can they really do that or does it just look like that?

They sure can ! They're called a Harrier jet... did you see the movie "True Lies"... they have them in the movie, they're awesome ! DH already knew about them, but I didn't until I saw them in the movie... they can even go straight up from the ground, and take off from a dead stop in the air !

ElleGee
06-12-2008, 01:58 PM
I've seen at the airport in Warwick RI (which is non military) planes coming in for a landing and they look like they are standing still.. But they really aren't

Char
06-12-2008, 02:14 PM
LOL! I am stunned that I have any power at all, I have like 8 windows going !

Anyway, here's a youtube video of a Harrier stopping in mid-air...

Harrier in action- SWEET ! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abD4jGTtfs0)

I guess there are several other planes now using the Harrier technology... the F35, F-22 Raptor, Helimax MX400, and, god only knows what other technology the government has that they're not telling us about !

ttistin
06-12-2008, 02:23 PM
We live a few miles from airport, we have all different kinds of airplanes going over. it is awesome. I know a lot of people don't like it but I love it. There have been mornings I try to sleep in and I get woke up by an airplane that sounds like it is landing in the back yard lol

I love watching the military planes. When I was still in high school i wanted to go into air force and fly. but I didn't. I sure wish that I had though.

Char
06-12-2008, 02:43 PM
We live a few miles from airport, we have all different kinds of airplanes going over. it is awesome. I know a lot of people don't like it but I love it. There have been mornings I try to sleep in and I get woke up by an airplane that sounds like it is landing in the back yard lol

I love watching the military planes. When I was still in high school i wanted to go into air force and fly. but I didn't. I sure wish that I had though.

I love that kinda of stuff too !

In that video... I love the way the plane toys with the crowd at first...lol, acting like the fly overs were all he was doing, and acting like he was going to land... knowing full well they wanted to see the jet hover (since that's what it's famous for)!

BBELEAZAHR
06-12-2008, 03:32 PM
LOL! I am stunned that I have any power at all, I have like 8 windows going !

Anyway, here's a youtube video of a Harrier stopping in mid-air...

Harrier in action- SWEET ! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abD4jGTtfs0)

I guess there are several other planes now using the Harrier technology... the F35, F-22 Raptor, Helimax MX400, and, god only knows what other technology the government has that they're not telling us about !

Thanks! This is just what I was talking about! I love living by the base, theres so many cool planes that come through.

atprm
06-12-2008, 03:36 PM
I was going to say...

yes, the Harrier aircraft is the original aircraft that can hover...

it is the ONLY aircraft that can fly backwards as well. I don't think that the US versions can do that yet -- but it's possible.

It's an awesome bird, and I had the pleasure to work closely with a British Squadron when they were playing war games with my squadron at NAS Oceana in Virginia Beach, VA (the United States largest air base on the east coast).

freeby4me
06-12-2008, 04:00 PM
We saw something like that a couple of years ago, it was gray and shaped odd, like triangular. It was really odd because it was hovering over the school bus garage. Then it took off sideways towards home depot. It would go straight up and down, just sit and hover. It was really odd. It was super super fast too, with no sound.

Very cool.

flute
06-12-2008, 07:11 PM
Boeing no longer makes our military planes.

That was an ENORMOUS mistake letting another country make our fighter's jets, and aircraft. Never have the same quality I guarentee you!

I know for a FACT boeing makes other countries NOT TO CODE aircraft..do not use the best parts, etc, they save that for the USA - and Boeing's a well reputed company.

How well do you think another country will treat us??

BTW: cool vid thanks